Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

How Does the 370 Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:51 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Nissan wanted to reduce the exhaust drone from the current Z's that some people (mags reviewers) complained over the years. Did they manage to get rid of the "coffee grinder" sound? Hopefully they improved NVH as well, and the outcome is a quieter car.

Don't make it sound like a deal breaker if the car is too quiet, but look at mod opportunities. IMO, I don't like any of the aftermarket exhausts for the G37.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Bevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Endgame
Is the Nismo exhaust typically larger in diameter and more aggresive than the standard exhaust? Anyone know???
I'm not sure but I saw the 370Z from LA auto show has NISMO exhaust on. Don't know if that's stock now or what.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
mavtais

Car sounds fine to me. It goes vrooooomm like davidv said.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by DIGItonium
Maybe Nissan wanted to reduce the exhaust drone from the current Z's that some people (mags reviewers) complained over the years. Did they manage to get rid of the "coffee grinder" sound? Hopefully they improved NVH as well, and the outcome is a quieter car.

Don't make it sound like a deal breaker if the car is too quiet, but look at mod opportunities. IMO, I don't like any of the aftermarket exhausts for the G37.

The "Coffee Grinder" sound is the sound of restrictive intake. I thought eh exhaust always sounded wonderful - even better with a Bassani .
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
silversurfer228

Hope it does sound meaner.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM
DIGItonium

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
The "Coffee Grinder" sound is the sound of restrictive intake. I thought eh exhaust always sounded wonderful - even better with a Bassani .
Ah, is that what that complaint was?

I wasn't much of a fan of the exhaust note (stock), and I prefer something smooth and deep. The ones that give it a boxy fart can sound is what I'm trying to avoid as well. You should hear sound from my dad's Z32-TT (dual TopSpeed... decent). It's not that loud, but has nice burble to it.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:35 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by DIGItonium
Ah, is that what that complaint was?

I wasn't much of a fan of the exhaust note (stock), and I prefer something smooth and deep. The ones that give it a boxy fart can sound is what I'm trying to avoid as well. You should hear sound from my dad's Z32-TT (dual TopSpeed... decent). It's not that loud, but has nice burble to it.
Yeah, the Bassani on an HR has a ton of burble and pop. Not so much burble on the DE.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 AM
MonzGT

Check out the video review, its a much better indication of what the exhaust actually sounds like.
ps: the vq sound is still there just altered.

Linky: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...home.photopane
Old 11-28-2008, 04:32 PM
280z/300zx

Originally Posted by rocket3971
I heard it today and it had a higher pitch sound to it. IMO the 350z had a throatier sound. Pretty surprising actually considering its a 3.7L

For those that haven't had the pleasure of owning/driving/being around Z's of different years: Z's are getting higher pitched as the years go on. The deepest sounding Z's are L series engines of the 70's. When they went to the VG of the Z31 it was still pretty deep down low but at higher rpms it got raspy. The Z32 VG lost some of the growl down low but was still there and higher up lost the rasp of the Z31 but rather was high pitched. The 350z has an exhuast not the most older Z owners wouldn't even consider a Z note. Altogether it got higher pitched and has more of a "European" sounding exhuast. Some even compare it to an exotic car sound. Personally I've had to do double takes when seeing some Z's roll by as they sound similar to some of the larger 4cly hondas

Now as for the 370z it was a little hard to tell as the DJ wouldn't turn the music off while the Nissan reps had the engine running for us here at the Vegas preview but it was definetly quiter at idle than the 350z. When reved it had an even higher pitch than the 350z does. Now it doesn't sound bad at all but it's by means throaty.

Personally I'm surprised being that with domestics the bigger the motor gets the deeper and more throaty it sounds. With the Z's it appears to be opposite.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
vnarang

Originally Posted by Sergio07350Z
GTR FTW!!
wtf?
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by vnarang
wtf?
You didn't watch the whole video, did you?

To those saying the 370Z is too quiet, if you're using the roll out vid as a reference, my guess is that you're basing your assumption on the fact that the other cars are louder. Well...news flash, the majority of the Zs in that vid are running aftermarket exhaust setups. Not to mention a good handful of you folks are probably running aftermarket setups yourselves and are used to that by now.

Nissan/Infiniti definitely neutered the sound of the '09 FX, that's for damn sure. But I can honestly say that I was very impressed when I first heard the G37 in person. I'd recommend you guys do the same with the new Z. Remember too that in the Edmunds vid, the car is almost always turning 3k-4k rpms AT LEAST. We don't get an extended clip of the car at idle-2k rpms so I'm not sure we can assume what it'll sound like around town just yet. I will admit that it does sound a bit higher pitched than either the Z33 or the G37 though. The main thing is, I can definitely hear the famous VQ warble in there and that's what counts.

Last edited by bruddahmatt; 11-28-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:46 PM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Really i thnk the the G37 sounds like ***, sounds muffled to me.My boy has one and i absolutly hate the exhaust tone. The G35 coupe is heaven to my ears especially with mated with the 6 speed manual, 10 times better than our 350Z and a hell of alot better than the G37 Coupe IMO...

Last edited by kham25; 11-28-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by kham25
Really i thnk the the G37 sounds like ***, sounds muffled to me.My boy has one and i absolutly hate the exhaust tone. The G35 coupe is heaven to my ears especially with mated with the 6 speed manual, 10 times better than our 350Z and a hell of alot better than the G37 Coupe IMO...
G37 exhaust note = teh sex. Deeper, bassier and just plain nastier than the G35's note. If you were inside his car with the windows up it would have definitely sounded more muffled as the car is better insulated and keeps noise out better than the 1st gens. But from the outside the G37's exhaust note is money compared with the G35s. I Homer Simpsion drool over that s**t. I wish my '07 Sedan sounded like that.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
G37 exhaust note = teh sex. Deeper, bassier and just plain nastier than the G35's note. If you were inside his car with the windows up it would have definitely sounded more muffled as the car is better insulated and keeps noise out better than the 1st gens. But from the outside the G37's exhaust note is money compared with the G35s. I Homer Simpsion drool over that s**t. I wish my '07 Sedan sounded like that.
Well im talking only the exhaust sound from the outside!!! I have a 07 Z my other 2 friends a 04 G35 coupe and another a 08 G37 Coupe.
I ve driven their older G and the New G coupe.. Let me tell you the 04 Coupe Stock sounds ****ing bad *** deep tone and makes my ears tingle going through the gears...
My Z is nothing comparing to his coupe in sound!! The G37 is worse than my Z IMO.. There is something with the earlier production G's different piping or whatever btw!!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I never really thought the G35 and the 350z sounded that much like IMO.

I don't think the G37 and the 370z will sound that similar either. Stock always seems quiet anyway, can barely hear the 350z stock. Just wait for the real think with some aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:15 PM
quietkilla6

Originally Posted by kinyu
I heard it in person today. You can actually hear the engine itself more than you can hear the exhaust, which was very weak.
On another note I didn't see mentioned in this thread, the car will only allow you to rev it to 4 grand in neutral. There was a lot of discussion about that at today's showing in Phoenix, and no one seemed too happy about it.
yea i got the pleasure of seeing the az showing and the exhaust was dissapointing. It sorta had a rattle to it, way higher pitched then i expected.
BUT the car is obviously made with the tuner in mind. Rolled fenders and other little things, SO after market exhaust soon to follow alot of purchases im sure.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:21 PM
OldDirty Z33

Originally Posted by Sergio07350Z
GTR FTW!!
lol ...not
Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
gennosuke1

dont worry it keeps the orginally 350 sound just sounds more by little because of engine
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
PA 19103

So this is the sound you guys don't like? or like? (this is a G37)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7OD9MvkigTs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7OD9MvkigTs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Z You Later

the only issue i have of that G37 video is that:

1. the car is lifted off the ground
2. the camera is under the car/exhaust

reason being if the car is on the ground it's muffled a lot more, as well as you're filming from the side or back, not from underneath...i feel that these things will make it sound different on camera than it does on the ground where it belongs

Quick Reply: How Does the 370 Sound?