Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

M2 Performance's KCR Exhaust Review (HKS/X02)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

boro as in Greensboro. And if its not T304 ur gonna run into probs b4 2 long.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
68Stang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like how the car looks, and the exhaust looks to be of decent quality, but man that passenger tip is screwing with me. Instead of the mounting bolts being like -O- like the driver side, they are like /, more of an angle. And to make it worse, it looks like the slash cut on the tip isn't done so that the longest part is on top. Other than the, the whole setup looks fantastic.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
beetlejuice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The replica HKS exhausts are T202 stainless.

A guy who deals with China stated this after going over there to visit a few of the factories that make the knock-off parts you see on ebay (exhausts, wastegates, bovs, etc). He also asked the factory if they could make a T304 version of the HKS, and they said yes, but that it would cost over $1k.

T304 stainless costs much more money than T202 stainless (raw material and manufacturing process). T202 is softer than T304, which makes it easier to mandrel bend and polish (that's why all of these ebay exhausts are polished), but it is less durable and more susceptible to corrosion (rust) than T304.

I own an X02 exhaust (bought used for $300). It has about 8k miles on it (6K when I bought it). No complaints, no corrosion (but I live in the desert). I could definetely feel a gain in HP, especially at the top end. I've seen dynos of this clone making 9-10 hp from 5k to redline.

I also have a 5/16 MD spacer (legit +10whp), and would say the gain of the exhaust is comparable to the spacer (exhaust went on after the spacer).

There are plenty of dynos in Las Vegas, but haven't dynoed my car, so don't have any hard data to add.

My cousin has the CXLighting version of this exhaust on his G35 coupe (bought new about 6 months ago). He loves it too.

Installation on both exhausts went very smooth.

I'm not under any misconception that this exhaust will last the life of the car, but for the price and performance, it's difficult to beat.

However, if you encounter salt (on the road or in the air), your $500 ebay exhaust may have a short lifespan.

And the reason why all of these ebay ads are proclaiming that their exhaust is T304 is that:
  1. they don't know
  2. they were lied to by their supplier
  3. they know the truth and are lying
  4. they are just doing a copy and paste from another ad and are clueless

Many JDM companies have their parts manufactured in China. Very few JDM parts are actually made in Japan. Most of the knockoffs are made in the exact same factories, on the exact same jigs, by the exact same personnel that make the real parts.

BTW, all of the tips have the retaining screw mounted at a slight angle (but the OP's passenger side tip is really crooked. Nothing a drill and a few minutes can't fix though).

Last edited by beetlejuice; 05-29-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
boro as in Greensboro. And if its not T304 ur gonna run into probs b4 2 long.
Well the vehicle isnt my DD so it doesnt see rain/snow. Even so i think anyone should take the time to clean their mufflers just like the rest of the car, because even a brand new car can get teh cancer.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:36 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by 68Stang
I like how the car looks, and the exhaust looks to be of decent quality, but man that passenger tip is screwing with me. Instead of the mounting bolts being like -O- like the driver side, they are like /, more of an angle. And to make it worse, it looks like the slash cut on the tip isn't done so that the longest part is on top. Other than the, the whole setup looks fantastic.
Thanks, thats they only thing that bugs me a little also, i just think who ever was welding that day wasnt paying attention to that tip. Oh well no biggie Hey if my exhaust ever gets stolen like my last system, ill have a trademark to look for right? The tip on the right does have the longest part at the top!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:39 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by beetlejuice
The replica HKS exhausts are T202 stainless.

A guy who deals with China stated this after going over there to visit a few of the factories that make the knock-off parts you see on ebay (exhausts, wastegates, bovs, etc). He also asked the factory if they could make a T304 version of the HKS, and they said yes, but that it would cost over $1k.

T304 stainless costs much more money than T202 stainless (raw material and manufacturing process). T202 is softer than T304, which makes it easier to mandrel bend and polish (that's why all of these ebay exhausts are polished), but it is less durable and more susceptible to corrosion (rust) than T304.

I own an X02 exhaust (bought used for $300). It has about 8k miles on it (6K when I bought it). No complaints, no corrosion (but I live in the desert). I could definetely feel a gain in HP, especially at the top end. I've seen dynos of this clone making 9-10 hp from 5k to redline.

I also have a 5/16 MD spacer (legit +10whp), and would say the gain of the exhaust is comparable to the spacer (exhaust went on after the spacer).

There are plenty of dynos in Las Vegas, but haven't dynoed my car, so don't have any hard data to add.

My cousin has the CXLighting version of this exhaust on his G35 coupe (bought new about 6 months ago). He loves it too.

Installation on both exhausts went very smooth.

I'm not under any misconception that this exhaust will last the life of the car, but for the price and performance, it's difficult to beat.

However, if you encounter salt (on the road or in the air), your $500 ebay exhaust may have a short lifespan.

And the reason why all of these ebay ads are proclaiming that their exhaust is T304 is that:
  1. they don't know
  2. they were lied to by their supplier
  3. they know the truth and are lying
  4. they are just doing a copy and paste from another ad and are clueless

Many JDM companies have their parts manufactured in China. Very few JDM parts are actually made in Japan. Most of the knockoffs are made in the exact same factories, on the exact same jigs, by the exact same personnel that make the real parts.

BTW, all of the tips have the retaining screw mounted at a slight angle (but the OP's passenger side tip is really crooked. Nothing a drill and a few minutes can't fix though).

+1... Just like anything exposed to salt, it will have a shortened life span. Just clean it like the rest of the car and it should last.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 AM
68Stang

Originally Posted by xxhotelcrazyxx
Thanks, thats they only thing that bugs me a little also, i just think who ever was welding that day wasnt paying attention to that tip. Oh well no biggie Hey if my exhaust ever gets stolen like my last system, ill have a trademark to look for right? The tip on the right does have the longest part at the top!
How the hell did somebody steal the exhaust off of your car?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

I work 4/10's at the airport so my car really stood out there. Someone just had been keeping their eye on it and one day i when i got off work, went out to start it and it sounded really loud! I thought to myself "damn, i have one hell of an exhaust leak, ill have to re torque everything when i get home" I started driving and it sounded worse so i pulled over to the gas station and got out and walked to the back and my heart dropped. No exhaust and someone pried the emblems off my oem trunk with a screw driver and scratched the paint all up. They new exactly what tools they needed. They even cut my rubber hangers with a razor blade! I park way the eff out also and they still messed with it
Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM
ZtrackFL

Do you get any droning noise with your set up?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by ZtrackFL
Do you get any droning noise with your set up?
Absolutley nothing. Now with my old Topspeed set up, thats all you heard in the cabin!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM
mariar508

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well sir, I believe you have just convinced me to get this exhaust.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:20 PM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by mariar508
Well sir, I believe you have just convinced me to get this exhaust.
LEt me know how you like it
Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 PM
68Stang

I work 4/10's at the airport so my car really stood out there. Someone just had been keeping their eye on it and one day i when i got off work, went out to start it and it sounded really loud! I thought to myself "damn, i have one hell of an exhaust leak, ill have to re torque everything when i get home" I started driving and it sounded worse so i pulled over to the gas station and got out and walked to the back and my heart dropped. No exhaust and someone pried the emblems off my oem trunk with a screw driver and scratched the paint all up. They new exactly what tools they needed. They even cut my rubber hangers with a razor blade! I park way the eff out also and they still messed with it
Man, that is heart breaking. Well, the G looks better than ever now, I'm sure.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by 68Stang
Man, that is heart breaking. Well, the G looks better than ever now, I'm sure.
It was but it was actually better that it happened because i came out on top $800+ more dollars! Thanks for the compliment!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
francoalimagno

any horsepower gains?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:20 PM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by francoalimagno
any horsepower gains?
Of coarse! According to my butt dyno Yes there are gains but i cant give you exact numbers
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Of coarse! According to my butt dyno Yes there are gains but i cant give you exact numbers
but u can. B the first 1 to get a Knockoff HKS dynoed and SHARE
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
but u can. B the first 1 to get a Knockoff HKS dynoed and SHARE
I dont have a baseline to go off of Its NEVER been dynoed.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

I dont have a baseline to go off of Its NEVER been dynoed.
its all good just a dyno showing positive results
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
beetlejuice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was shopping around for an exhaust, I found this dyno of an HKS clone.

This is not my dyno, nor do I endorse this shop in any way.

Just sharing some info. AFAIK, baseline car was stock, only mod was exhaust.

Quick Reply: M2 Performance's KCR Exhaust Review (HKS/X02)