Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Manifold Qs ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 PM
jutn35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Kinetix Manifold Qs ?

I got some questions for those who have this for their VQ or any experience. Im saving up for the Kinetix Manifold and my Qs are...

1. Is it easy to install?
2.Do I have to get a tune after installation?
3.Cons ?
4.Louder exhaust note ?

any other info would be much appreciated. i want to know ahead of time of what im saving up for.

thanks !

Last edited by jutn35; 06-22-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
epidemic007

Watching cause i'm interested
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search is your friend.. and it may save you money.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

What one , they kinda make 2
Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 PM
jutn35

i did use search, and came up nothing , just other threads of people asking some what of the same things , but they dont make 2. only the plenum and the manifold
Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would probably lose power without a tune. Removing the intake manifold is easy. Go buy the 15$ socket set at autozone. I have a full set of craftman tools, but use the autozone set for under the hood work since it has a nice little case. You just unbolt all of it including the throttle body and pull all of the vacum hoses off. Should take about 30 minutes to take it off going really slow.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 PM
jutn35

^ hahahha i think ill ask one of my G friends whos more car endulged then i am, but thankyou for answering one of my Questions . but ill borrow one of my bros many tools. how much would a tune cost ? (ballpark it)
Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go to a shop that can tune with Osiris, I use the user tunable version so I tune myself. I only pay for dyno time not tune time makes it cheap . Probably 500$ at a osiris tuner shop without buying the software. I would do headers and test pipes at the same time though, along with full exhaust so you only need one tune. If you have someone to help you, everything could be installed in one day. Only thing you need to remove the cats is like a 4 foot extension. Someone on the bottom holds a back up and you turn the ratchet from the top of the car.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 AM
jutn35

Originally Posted by rocks
I would go to a shop that can tune with Osiris, I use the user tunable version so I tune myself. I only pay for dyno time not tune time makes it cheap . Probably 500$ at a osiris tuner shop without buying the software. I would do headers and test pipes at the same time though, along with full exhaust so you only need one tune. If you have someone to help you, everything could be installed in one day. Only thing you need to remove the cats is like a 4 foot extension. Someone on the bottom holds a back up and you turn the ratchet from the top of the car.
\

500 bucks !, i thought it would be like 150 an hour. but for now im not worried about my exhaust and headers, sounds good enough for me already. Plus i dont have the funding "/ . I heard many ppl just go with a plenum spacer bc its cheaper and better. but the reason why im going for this part is the show factor too. but thanks very much for your input.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 AM
*Boose*

Depends really on which year you have. For the 03-05's just the spacer alone will net some really nice gains but on an 06 nothing. You will need the benefit of the plenum to make any real gains. My suggestion though is to skip the Kinetix and look for the MREV2. Much more positive feedback from them.

Search for plenums and spacers for your year car. Also talk to a couple vendors on this site who sell the parts you need they can definitely help.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by jutn35
i did use search, and came up nothing , just other threads of people asking some what of the same things , but they dont make 2. only the plenum and the manifold
Sorry, but you did not search hard enough. I even recall sentry posting up a very detailed thread as well.

Just from a 2 sec search I yielded..
-https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/307464-kinetix-v-vs-motordyne-5-16-vs-motordyne-1-2-a.html
-https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/430061-solution-for-5-16-spacer-and-kinetix-v.html
-https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/421643-kinetix-racing-v-plenum-or-md-iso-thermal-spacer.html
* Search yielded 2 pages *

And I have seen the kinetix loose power, even after an osiris reflash.. Anything kinetix is going to be sub par, IMO.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Reality350

\

500 bucks !, i thought it would be like 150 an hour. but for now im not worried about my exhaust and headers, sounds good enough for me already. Plus i dont have the funding "/ . I heard many ppl just go with a plenum spacer bc its cheaper and better. but the reason why im going for this part is the show factor too. but thanks very much for your input.
LoL, if you want "show factor".. go with the Cosworth.
/thread
Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kinetix has consistently disappointed us over the years. First with the plastic upper plenum for the DE motors. Independent testing showed dismal horsepower gains.

Next came the beautiful and expensive and worthless SSV manifold.

Add the failing high-flow catalytic converter.

Kinetix has attempted to recover with new versions that are only cosmetically different than the original.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 AM
jutn35

ill keep that in mind, right now im kind of flip floppin on whether to save up for it ^

Originally Posted by Reality350
Sorry, but you did not search hard enough. I even recall sentry posting up a very detailed thread as well.

Just from a 2 sec search I yielded..
-https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/307464-kinetix-v-vs-motordyne-5-16-vs-motordyne-1-2-a.html
-https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/430061-solution-for-5-16-spacer-and-kinetix-v.html
-https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/421643-kinetix-racing-v-plenum-or-md-iso-thermal-spacer.html
* Search yielded 2 pages *

And I have seen the kinetix loose power, even after an osiris reflash.. Anything kinetix is going to be sub par, IMO.
wtf, i guess your right , i didnt "/ all i found were people selling them or threads like mine
Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM
OhSickZ

Just my 2c...

Install was a breeze if you follow the instructions, did it in the garage in between beer breaks.

Recommend proper torque wrench for the application because you can easily overtighten. I believe it was 6inch lbs.

Not NEEDED but recommend using copper sealant in addition to gasket that it comes with. The unit may expand/contract a bit and open the seal, of course you can retighten (and you should to a degree) but the copper sealant pretty much takes care of that for you.
Recommend ensuring all of the connectors and brass fittings are very well seated and tightened properly. What I thought were tight fittings ended up being hardly inserted at all. Triple check everything.

Don't NEED tune, but depending on other mods it's always an option.
Stock strut bar does work with this setup.

CONS:
Easy to overtorque the bolts which will crack the material if you're not careful.
Smells funny for a while, this goes away though.

Exhaust Note:
You can hear more of the engine. You get used to this and it goes away but for a while you'll definitely notice a sound difference. Didn't notice much in the back end though.

Assometer results:
I felt a difference. It's not rocket science but I am glad I spent the money.

EDIT:
BTW, I agree with the MREV2 option. I just wanted to answer the manifold questions as they were presented.
I got some questions for those who have this for their VQ or any experience. Im saving up for the Kinetix Manifold and my Qs are...

1. Is it easy to install?
2.Do I have to get a tune after installation?
3.Cons ?
4.Louder exhaust note ?

any other info would be much appreciated. i want to know ahead of time of what im saving up for.

thanks !

Last edited by OhSickZ; 06-26-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Afterthought