Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Carbon fibre plenum + spacer project

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

looks great, how will it stand up to daily driving?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsoulby
...., I don't have te 6 bolts through the middle, the 2 hoses underneath the back of the plenum are now just joined together so are unused, but the strength of it is crazy, 8-9mm thick is like concrete, you could drive over if and it would be fine, so Im not expecting any to crack unless it had a manufacturers problem which should be very rare.
That may be your undoing, you should consider having the 6 support posts and retain the bolts. Even the Motordyne spacer setup provides 6 supports to fill the gap so the bolts can still hold the OEM plenum tight.

You might want to do a "drive over" test to prove the strength. The lack of center support will be what allows it to crack. The constant flexing of the plenum is what caused the Kinetix to fail.

It also seems as though 8-9mm thickness of the unit would be reducing the interior airspace, unless you've added a huge internal spacer to take that into account. Then you have to deal with the strutbar clearance. If you left the internal volume the same, added a spacer and include 8-10mm of thickness on the outside, strutbar clearance would really be a problem.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:49 PM
scottsoulby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving with it for a few days now and it's been fine, needed tightening up a little bit after the first drive but that's it
Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 PM
scottsoulby

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
That may be your undoing, you should consider having the 6 support posts and retain the bolts. Even the Motordyne spacer setup provides 6 supports to fill the gap so the bolts can still hold the OEM plenum tight.

You might want to do a "drive over" test to prove the strength. The lack of center support will be what allows it to crack. The constant flexing of the plenum is what caused the Kinetix to fail.

It also seems as though 8-9mm thickness of the unit would be reducing the interior airspace, unless you've added a huge internal spacer to take that into account. Then you have to deal with the strutbar clearance. If you left the internal volume the same, added a spacer and include 8-10mm of thickness on the outside, strutbar clearance would really be a problem.
there is already 2 stabilizer parts in the middle to keep it stiff and they are extended to make sure the plenum does not flex, and it doesn't move, also down the outsides there are 2 ribs also to add extra strength as seen in picture, this wasnt the case to start with, it originally had neither of these andvwhen the car was turned on the plenum got sucked in by over an inch but didn't crack or shatter, this was the reason why we added the ribs and 2 stabiliser bars, and now it doesn't flex at all, the spacer was made bigger to allow for this, it is raised 10mm so yes the strut has has to lifted by around 5mm and everything now sits good in there

it has now been used for a few days and no problems so far
Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

How's it going to hold up to heat? I know of a few cases where people left their cars idle for a few hours and discovered their Kinetix plenums melted and collapsed. I know, it's an rare occurance, but the VQ does seem to run hot under the hood. Long term, what are the effects on your material?
Old 11-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First - This reminds me of the Kinetix plenum. They were not stiff enough and after a while, cracks developed in them. Of course, that caused air leaks which caused the engine to run and idle rough.

Second - The rough inside surface looks like it would be a detriment to smooth air flow. You might want to make the inside look finished just like the outside. This is NOT a cosmetic mod.

Third - Before you start offering them up for sale, you'll have to become a vendor/sponsor here. Click on the "Advertise on MY350Z.COM" link at the bottom of any webpage.
Exactly what i was thinking!! I would hate another kinetix v+ type plenum which sucks because the cork gaskets are FTMFL!!!!!!

Your gasket would blow out in a few days in FI, not sure about NA.. But lets see a before and after with the gasket. Id like to see if oil builds up or passes through the gasket like the shitty kinetix did!

Originally Posted by scottsoulby
there is already 2 stabilizer parts in the middle to keep it stiff and they are extended to make sure the plenum does not flex, and it doesn't move, also down the outsides there are 2 ribs also to add extra strength as seen in picture, this wasnt the case to start with, it originally had neither of these andvwhen the car was turned on the plenum got sucked in by over an inch but didn't crack or shatter, this was the reason why we added the ribs and 2 stabiliser bars, and now it doesn't flex at all, the spacer was made bigger to allow for this, it is raised 10mm so yes the strut has has to lifted by around 5mm and everything now sits good in there

it has now been used for a few days and no problems so far
Also, id like to know if you could make them in 2x2 twill weave carbon fiber?
Old 11-07-2009, 02:19 PM
scottsoulby

Cool

Yes these can be made in a 2x2 twill no problem,

Carbon fibre doesn't conduct heat so absolutely no problems regarding heat, I've had it turned over for a while and the plenum is still cool, and the carbon will be as durable, once it's made that's how it stays, it won't corrode or weaken

as for the gasket, the one I'm using so far is a vacuum tape so it's not going anywhere, but i will have to think of something to be able to sell, vacuum tape can get a bit messy,
Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 AM
SDUrbn350Z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Actually it needs to be testured to some degree. At the same time, how well this behaves vs the stock cast unit would be interesting to see. You would need a pressure test to see at what psi it breaks, a flow bench, and a manometer at a minimum
yes pressure test it cause we all know CF can easily be broken i think if, if its successful i'll buy one!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:04 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i think a lot of people are forgetting that most of the "easily broken" cf, is nothing more than fiberglass "look" mods that have CF overlaid... thats not the case with this product, right OP?....i guess also about the point of kinetix plenum melting...that should NOT be a problem with CF...
only concerns are that inside needs to be more polished... how well it seals....and if it has enough mounting points, not necesarly for it breaking but also for how much it seals...It woudl be nice to test and see at what PSI it "pops off"/fails.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-09-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 AM
GT-Z

i want one!!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good job!

For your torture test, it is best performed with many, many pressure and vacuum cycles. Over and over and over and over again. That means a lot of city driving and preferably with a lot of heat soak. Use a short ram intake with no heat shield. That will get it hot.

I also suggest putting at least 2 bolts through the top panel. This will help immensely with regard to forced induction.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Thermal1

PM me if you need a dyno tester. I could compare it to stock and/or my current spacer if you want.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
HYDROERIC2003

very nice i want one !
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 PM
bigwilly03

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
i think a lot of people are forgetting that most of the "easily broken" cf, is nothing more than fiberglass "look" mods that have CF overlaid... thats not the case with this product, right OP?....i guess also about the point of kinetix plenum melting...that should NOT be a problem with CF...
only concerns are that inside needs to be more polished... how well it seals....and if it has enough mounting points, not necesarly for it breaking but also for how much it seals...It woudl be nice to test and see at what PSI it "pops off"/fails.
Right! The inside surface looks nothing like chopped strand mat fiber glass that was wet lay up and then a layer of carbon fiber on the outside.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 PM
hyperlite21

for the people questioning strength of cf, formula1 cars shells are made out of cf its found to be about double the strength of a metal shell
Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by hyperlite21
for the people questioning strength of cf, formula1 cars shells are made out of cf its found to be about double the strength of a metal shell
Ah, if it were only that simple.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:47 PM
o2sys

Ah, if it were only that simple.
hahaha i know...the technology difference between F1 CF and consumer aftermarket CF is worlds apart

Well anyways, the CF plenum looks pretty cool, i would want one depending on the price and performance gains...i would compare it to the cosworth plenum to make my purchase decision.

Last edited by o2sys; 11-10-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperlite21
With around 50 layers of pre-preg carbon fiber in some places compressed to about 7 atmospheres.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
zads

Originally Posted by bigwilly03
Right! The inside surface looks nothing like chopped strand mat fiber glass that was wet lay up and then a layer of carbon fiber on the outside.
Hah, beat me to this comment.

How's it going to hold up to heat? I know of a few cases where people left their cars idle for a few hours and discovered their Kinetix plenums melted and collapsed. I know, it's an rare occurance, but the VQ does seem to run hot under the hood. Long term, what are the effects on your material?
While obviously the Kinetix shouldn't melt under any operating circumstances, why were they "idle for a few hours"??
Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks awesome, but before you sell it needs to have the same smooth surface underneath that it does outside. Huge turn off seeing that fibery mess inside.

Quick Reply: Carbon fibre plenum + spacer project