Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Reccomendations for Intake and Exhaust swaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 AM
jimgary5390

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reccomendations for Intake and Exhaust swaps

I just bought an '06 Base Z about a month ago, and the previous owner had installed a Fujita intake and a Topspeed Pro1 Performance catback exhaust. I love the intake, it makes an awesome whistling noise, but I don't know if this noise is any different from the noise that the stock intake makes. The exhaust is definitely not for me though, I like a more subtle exhaust and this thing is ridiculous. So considering the fact that <b>my Z will stay N/A</b>, I have two questions:

1. I want my exhaust to be much quieter, to sound aggressive, to still be dual, and to be appropriate for my N/A (near-stock) setup. I've heard that the stock, Nismo, and HKS exhausts were all good choices for this criteria. Considering this, which exhausts do <b>you</b> recommend?
2. I've heard that the stock intake with a K&N filter is "the best", but why is that? Does the stock intake make the same whistle as the Fujita? Any other recommendations for intakes on my N/A Z (e.g. cold air vs. short ram)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jimgary5390; 04-11-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 AM
BlowinGreen

hey man. i have the motordyne shockwave ti dual exhaust. it's loud as hell when you get on it (when you want it to be)...but when youre at cruise speeds you cant even hear it. i love it man. you should check it out. the flamed tips look awesome too. also i have the JWT popcharger. makes an awesome sucking sound. as far as performance i think they are all around the same. the popcharger is only around $100 compared to 300 for the others.

heres an in cabin video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlOkePXeqik

Last edited by BlowinGreen; 04-11-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I recommend that you:

a. Set a budget.
b. Decide what configuration is best for you. Single. Dual. One or two mufflers.
c. Listen before buying.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
jimgary5390

Originally Posted by BlowinGreen
hey man. i have the motordyne shockwave ti dual exhaust. it's loud as hell when you get on it (when you want it to be)...but when youre at cruise speeds you cant even hear it. i love it man. you should check it out. the flamed tips look awesome too. also i have the JWT popcharger. makes an awesome sucking sound. as far as performance i think they are all around the same. the popcharger is only around $100 compared to 300 for the others.
Wow I didn't know the Pop Charger was that cheap! And yes I have heard the Shockwave is very loud, but I'll check it out anyway because you say it has no drone which is very nice. Thanks for your input man!

Originally Posted by davidv
I recommend that you:
a. Set a budget.
b. Decide what configuration is best for you. Single. Dual. One or two mufflers.
c. Listen before buying.
My first post says I'm looking for used exhausts (budget), and that I want dual. Listening to exhausts on Youtube videos is difficult because they don't always sound the same in person. But I guess there's no other way to do it unless everyone else in my neighborhood drives a Z with different exhausts huh!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

david gave you solid advice. go to car meets and hear other z's setups before buying. I could hear a couple dozen different configurations by attending local meets.

that being said for the way you described you want your exhaust (dual, quiet - still louder then stock I am assuming, aggresive etc), I recommend either the bassani setup or the invidia gemini set up.

HKS would be too loud for you most likely. according to your crtieria, nismo would not meet it (it is a Y pipe single configuration with dual exits from the muffler, just like stock)
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Entaille

regarding intakes, the 06 airbox is very efficient, that is why it is praised. there are not really gains to be had by swapping it out, just sound variances (like the whistle you enjoy, stock does not do that).

07-08s have some long tube intakes that provide gains, but the 03s-06s.. meh, doesn't matter what setup you have.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:13 PM
jimgary5390

Originally Posted by Entaille
david gave you solid advice. go to car meets and hear other z's setups before buying. I could hear a couple dozen different configurations by attending local meets.

that being said for the way you described you want your exhaust (dual, quiet - still louder then stock I am assuming, aggresive etc), I recommend either the bassani setup or the invidia gemini set up.

HKS would be too loud for you most likely. according to your crtieria, nismo would not meet it (it is a Y pipe single configuration with dual exits from the muffler, just like stock)
I just got my Z and haven't even thought about car meets yet! Great suggestion. The Bassani exhaust you speak of seems to be highly praised on these forums. My friend got some Invidia stuff for his Max and he likes them a lot. And you're correct in assuming I want the true-dual. Sorry I was not specific.

regarding intakes, the 06 airbox is very efficient, that is why it is praised. there are not really gains to be had by swapping it out, just sound variances (like the whistle you enjoy, stock does not do that).

07-08s have some long tube intakes that provide gains, but the 03s-06s.. meh, doesn't matter what setup you have.
OK so it sounds like I should just stick with the Fujita. Thanks for the info!

BTW I also just spent about 2-3 hours reading the exact same thread referenced in your signature! I found it with google just this morning. I'm going to the Pep tomorrow to pick up some Amsoil ATM 10W-30, Castrol Syntec 0W-30, or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. I'm going to try them all throughout this year and compare them, might even donate them for more UOA! What oil are you using right now man?

Last edited by jimgary5390; 04-11-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Entaille

I run castrol gtx 5w-30 - above average stats, low cost, and readily available locally. wouldn't mind switching to castrol syntec but oh well : )

royal purple pissed me off with their 'forum wars' misrepresentation of us so they get a little love in my sig :]
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Fujitsubo FTW!! Shockwave quiet?!! Absolutely NOT!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 PM
jimgary5390

I run castrol gtx 5w-30 - above average stats, low cost, and readily available locally. wouldn't mind switching to castrol syntec but oh well : )

royal purple pissed me off with their 'forum wars' misrepresentation of us so they get a little love in my sig :]
Haha cool man, good choice. I just put Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in today with a K&N filter. What filter do you use? I was considering Mobile1 and stock filters but I thought K&N was a solid choice so I just picked that one. Don't know which one is "the best" though.

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Fujitsubo FTW!! Shockwave quiet?!! Absolutely NOT!
Haha thanks for the tip. Guys I am still leaning toward the HKS exhaust just because it looks so awesome and is supposed to sound really aggressive. Do any of you know if it has any drone at all? If it does than I will not consider it and look toward the quieter Fujitsubo, Bassani, Invidia, and whatever else you guys recommend me.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Entaille

hks is loud. dunno about drone :]

I use a K&N gold oil filter myself. bit harder to get test feedback on oil filters but I trust it.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 AM
jimgary5390

hks is loud. dunno about drone :]

I use a K&N gold oil filter myself. bit harder to get test feedback on oil filters but I trust it.
Yea I think any good filter will do the job. Oil is more important.

Anyway thanks everybody for the help (except for that *** that just posted the picture of a dog haha)!!! I've narrowed it down to Fujitsubo and Bassani because I think they sound nice and neither have drone. Bassani has insane gains in the HR, I'm hoping my Rev-up will have at least half those gains. Idk about Fujitsubo gains though. Anyway I think that HKS (and replicas) look way more badass but I just read that they all had drone at 2k RPM so there's no way I'm dealing with that ****. Thanks again Z community!!!

Last edited by jimgary5390; 04-17-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Steve-O Z33

Maybe you can have a shop add a resonator or 2 to your piping and silence the current setup? Most exhausts are loud. The blitz NUR touring is pretty tame with all other stock components. The Nismo and blitz are about the same, really but they aren't true dual exhausts. As said above, they are dual exit y-pipe exhausts.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a bassani or nismo.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think z owners buy HKS for a few reasons.
1) misguided. Just heard it was the best and it sounds so aggressive which it does not
2) compensating for maybe a small ***** idk. Iv owned HKS but sold it within a week bc I guess I didn't need to compensate.

I just don't understand why z members would want dual 2.36 piping a there z. Only reason I bought it was just to try it out. Not bc what I heard. Anyways this thread sucks. Search. Threads like this are a dime a dozen

ninja edit sorry Zwole lol damn iphone left out the u in buy

Last edited by 2004Black350z; 04-18-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
I think z owners by HKS for a few reasons.
1) misguided. Just heard it was the best and it sounds so aggressive which it does not
2) compensating for maybe a small ***** idk. Iv owned HKS but sold it within a week bc I guess I didn't need to compensate.

I just don't understand why z members would want dual 2.36 piping a there z. Only reason I bought it was just to try it out. Not bc what I heard. Anyways this thread sucks. Search. Threads like this are a dime a dozen
Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Caledan

I have an 06 with a stock airbox and the HKS-dual exhaust~ I think it's quiet as hell when you are below 2500 rpms (Similar to stock almost)~ I DD the car and shift before 2500rpm to conserve gas~

It's true that the exhaust is not really "that" aggressive, when you are in the higher rpms you tend to hear more engine than exhaust~ But the titanium tips do make a decent finish~
Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 PM
jimgary5390

Originally Posted by Caledan
I have an 06 with a stock airbox and the HKS-dual exhaust~ I think it's quiet as hell when you are below 2500 rpms (Similar to stock almost)~ I DD the car and shift before 2500rpm to conserve gas~

It's true that the exhaust is not really "that" aggressive, when you are in the higher rpms you tend to hear more engine than exhaust~ But the titanium tips do make a decent finish~
Thanks man mine is my DD as well. However, recently I had decided to buy someone else's stocker but now I'm looking a lot at single exhausts. I heard they provide better low-end power and save weight. I think most N/A people like myself opt for dual instead because it looks cooler, but I don't really care about that. Right now I'm looking for a quieter single exhaust, got my eye on the Fujitsubo RM01A... Finding a quiet single will be hard to do I think. No drone please!

Last edited by jimgary5390; 05-05-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

HSK gives you a nice Cessna sound, i really think it sounds like ***. Kinda like a pair of angry 3 cylinder motors at full throttle and like a fart can setup at lower throttle. junk, buts its kinda GayDM YO.

Quick Reply: Reccomendations for Intake and Exhaust swaps