Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

? about headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:30 AM
jckolnturn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 350Z-RED
I just got the borlas installed, the sound is sweet expecially after 3K RPM, it does add power, i can feel it. i will dyno it next week
to see how much power gained. I also got the crawford cats

The install was 10 hours, but fitted nicely, no bolt alignment problem
??????? did you add the cats at the same time you did the headers? how do you know the headers did anything then????
Old 12-04-2003, 01:27 PM
pimp1911

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Nissan recalled all the old boxes of headers. If the dealers did their job and sent them back it shouldn't be an issue. All of mine in stock have been replaced and the fit difference is huge. Mine still rub a bit on very hard right turns but they are the old batch. You won't have any worry's with the Nismo's now. As far as the dot goes...... this is the first I've heard of that. I will open a box tomorrow and find out. Jeff
Did you check to see if one of the headers had a black dot on it?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:06 AM
350Z-RED

Originally posted by jckolnturn
??????? did you add the cats at the same time you did the headers? how do you know the headers did anything then????
Well, good point, i wont know definatly but, crawford claims 5-6 hp for the cats, anything after that would be the headers.
Best estimates here nothing more
Old 12-05-2003, 04:41 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally . . .my set all coated and even signed by the artist. Install tomorrow!

Old 12-10-2003, 02:37 PM
pimp1911

Jeff or Jason. Did you guys check the new batch of nismo headers vs. the old batch of nismo headers for any markings. That is the only thing holding me back from getting nismo headers. So far the borla and crawford headers have gotten no complaints on rubbing.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:45 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by pimp1911
Jeff or Jason. Did you guys check the new batch of nismo headers vs. the old batch of nismo headers for any markings. That is the only thing holding me back from getting nismo headers. So far the borla and crawford headers have gotten no complaints on rubbing.
Not to step on Jason's toes, as he is a pal... but what has you sold on the NISMO headers?

The only good reason to buy them, as the dealers can't give you grief about having them - per warranty.

Other than that... ?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:17 PM
FLY BY Z

Will the tubes on the Crawford taptaptappytap on each other when forces take hold (expansion, torque, etc.)????????????
Old 12-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

The new headers are PERFECT, You can fit your whole hand where you used to only beable to barely fit a pencil...
Old 12-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

do a happy dance

Last edited by Jason@Performance; 12-10-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:11 PM
zzzya

Well, the Crawford headers are no where near similar in design to the Borla headers!! Longer tubes, equal length etc.. I wish I had a chassis dyno somewhere close that I could strap on to because these Crawford Headers have made a huge difference on my car. I am not talking about a little change that is hard to really tell like an exhaust, I am talking "Holy Sh$t my car has ***** now!!" kinda change. It is hard to believe I am driving the same car now. My hunger for more power has been satisfied for a while longer with the addition of the Crawford Headers. I can't imagine what the car will feel like with the proper TS ECU reflash.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:19 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
Will the tubes on the Crawford taptaptappytap on each other when forces take hold (expansion, torque, etc.)????????????
As hard as we drive the Zs around here...

No tappy tap tap tap.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:20 PM
pimp1911

Originally posted by The Individual
Not to step on Jason's toes, as he is a pal... but what has you sold on the NISMO headers?

The only good reason to buy them, as the dealers can't give you grief about having them - per warranty.

Other than that... ?

Sutherlin Nissan in Georgia has a full R tune 350z(Headers,Cams, flywheel, Suspension, wheels, and intake) in there parts department viewable by the public. I have been told that they are getting into Nismo products heavily. So I dont mind a Nissan dealer giving me grief about their own products from their racing division. If a dealer does give me grief I move onto the next dealer who does support their products (like Performance and Sutherlin). Plus I know enough folks to get help with any problems I have with my Z.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:18 PM
STRETCH

Default Fujitsubo

What about the fujitsubo header? Has anyone installed one yet or even seen one?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Sutherlin Nissan in Georgia has a full R tune 350z(Headers,Cams, flywheel, Suspension, wheels, and intake) in there parts department viewable by the public. I have been told that they are getting into Nismo products heavily. So I dont mind a Nissan dealer giving me grief about their own products from their racing division. If a dealer does give me grief I move onto the next dealer who does support their products (like Performance and Sutherlin). Plus I know enough folks to get help with any problems I have with my Z.
We have all that on display in our parts department too, as well as Nismo Body kit, JIC Suspension, Stop Tech Brakes (display soon), JWT, TILTON, and best of all JEFF's car int he front. (mine is sneeking in)..

And we do build and sell race cars too
Old 12-12-2003, 04:20 AM
FritzMan

Originally posted by The Individual

Other than that... ?
Probably my only question is that the Nismo headers appear to be stainless and the Crawford's don't (not sure of that though). Up in Canada stainless would definitely be better for corrosion resistance. I realise that Crawford's are ceramics coated but I'm not 100% sure how durable that coating is. Also, there appears to be a lot more welds on the Crawford compared to Nismo, how does that effect long term durability?

I'm not hacking on one or the other, I'd just like to be sure before a decision is made.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:41 AM
Daniel G

Originally posted by FritzMan
Probably my only question is that the Nismo headers appear to be stainless and the Crawford's don't (not sure of that though). Up in Canada stainless would definitely be better for corrosion resistance. I realise that Crawford's are ceramics coated but I'm not 100% sure how durable that coating is. Also, there appears to be a lot more welds on the Crawford compared to Nismo, how does that effect long term durability?

I'm not hacking on one or the other, I'd just like to be sure before a decision is made.
If you like the design, hp claims, etc of the Crawford's then just buy them and have them "jet hot" coated. I haven't bought headers yet, and in the same boat as you. But if you want crawfords, you'll love the "jet hot" finish. Here is a picture of long tube headers for an LS1 (camaro SS) 'Jet Hot coated'.

www.jet-hot.com

Old 12-12-2003, 06:21 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by FritzMan

You are right, they are not stainless. Stainless would have made these too high. Either way (stainless or jet hot) will cost about the same extra. To be more specific ours are hi-temp powder coated. If you dont want that and want something else Doug will work with you on a price (- powder coat + jet-hot).

With exhaust gasses the way they are the outside is the more important part to get protected. Hi-temp powder coat will withstand the heat of the headers. But jet hot looks awesome, thats for sure!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:23 AM
FritzMan

I've had the heat coating done on a previous RX-7 TT manifold. Worked really well etc... However, I feel that depending on the coating to prevent corrosion goes beyond it's functionality scope, which is mainly to retain heat. Regardless, corrosion is only part of the issue.

The price of these header (especially when converted to Canadian pesos) demand more than just performance, I'd like to see durability especially when you consider the cost of installation on the 350Z. As far as I know (and in metalurgy it isn't much), stainless not only corrodes less, but is stronger, less stressed from thermal fluctuations, and lighter (although weight is marginal in this case). Further exasperating this concern of durability, it also appears that the Nismo have less "pieces" to make an equal length setup (although apparently shorter and a little less HP than the Crawford). Typically welds are the weakest link no?

Right now, until someone can tell me otherwise, the Nismo headers appear to be the better setup for my needs. They cost a few hundred less (more like $500 Cdn) and loosing a couple hp is worth it if I don't have to get a new set of mild steel headers every 3-4 years.

Cool board BTW, I like the feedback one can get here.

Last edited by FritzMan; 12-12-2003 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:25 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
They are annealed after final assembly!