Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

3" Custom TPs + FI + resonance = Ceramic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Custom TPs + FI + resonance = Ceramic?

Eh guys. I'm aware of the heat benefits of ceramic coating but I'm wondering if it also has some sound dampening qualities. Since I got the custom pipes put in I've noticed a distinctive resonance and "whistling" at most daily driving loads / rpms.

Undoubtedly some of this is from leaks as the exhaust settles from its new install. I recently had the Greddy TiC- Turbo installed as well.

I expect that with a larger exhaust and larger pipes the noise will also go up somewhat. It's the resonance that bothers me moreso than the noise. It gets to a certain frequency that REALLY gets annoying fast. I don't want to get resonators put in just yet and would rather less invasive solutions that don't cause restriction.

What will likely continue to cause noise after the system is tightened up is a small notch in the driver side pipe that accommodates the steering column. I don't think there was any way around this, and it's there to stay. Even the stock fitting on the JWT kit that came off the hot side of the turbo had to be ground down and it wasn't even 2.5"...

I'm doing some advanced research on solutions in case the car comes back from getting tightened up and the same noise exists. I noticed on the ART pipes that additional brackets help to dampen the vibration- which I suspect will likely also help in this situation. Ceramic coating was another answer... something I figured may expain why ceramic coated Berk HFCs don't produce rasp on the NA cars.

Here is one of the pipes I'm talking about next to a Megan resonated TP.

Any thoughts or other solutions would be appreciated!

So would the ceramic coated pipes offer benefits for sound AND thermal absorption abilities?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ceramic coating doesnt add enough mass to make any difference in sound..

its the combination of exhaust components. Add another resonator to the mix, or cut out the Ti-C one and add a better one from dynomax/magnaflow/vibrant
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Eno

Ah! Yes, that's a very good idea. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Eno

Well interesting addition to this- I thought it was the exhaust but while a few of the odd noises were dealt with by mnr adjusting the new exhaust, they went hunting for this owl whistle that comes in under very light or no load at about 1300-1800 rpm and looked everywhere on the exhaust and never found it. Intake side? Maybe. Seems more passenger side. Thoughts?