Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Test Pipe Smell, Ideas to fix under $200 :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Lee R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lock it up! LOL!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pss350z
If you were running rich wouldn't you be smelling unburned fuel Kinda different wouldn't you say?

Also, after adding TPs if anything you lean things out as you get more flow, so you tune to add more fuel. Hmmmmmmmm
There is no description of the "smell" in this thread. I would assume being too rich or too lean would cause an abnormal smell.

And usually yes. I just know when I had test pipes untuned it smelled and I was rich, then I got a tune, leaned out, and no unusual smell.

Not trying to argue with him.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've run test pipes on my car for a long time and never noticed any smell, you guys must be awfully rich. Maybe it's an earlier car thing?

So much trouble to go through for a little exhaust smell.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM
TunerMax

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Not "hating" or being a "e-thug" just pointing out the facts. The smell is more from running rich than it is from being cat-less. Your topic was to fix the smell under $200. The cheapest way would be to sell your test pipes and get a set of used HFC's if you can't afford or want to get the tuning to correct the A/F. Test pipes are pretty much useless without a tune anyway.
I have a Haltech, I've lessened the smell with tuning but it's still evident to me. Perhaps I'm sensitive to it, obviously the only time you smell it is outside the car or at a stop light when the fumes catch up, but guarantee the people behind me smell it. And a cop behind me would net a righteous ticket!

I hear conflicting commentry about tune changing this, most of it says that it won't fix it. Most of the guys that don't notice the smell are Turbocharged it seems. Either way, I didn't find enough practical or researched evidence that there was a way to completely fix this smell other than a Cat. I honestly hope that's wrong, because it'd be wicked if it was just that simple.

And I spend money on this car too, high quality parts are a must for me also, I don't mind spending when the quality is justifiable, or if there's no other decent comparables. In this case, I just effed up and bought the wrong thing, like many who've purchased test pipes, and like many, I too have regrets. I'm just trying to solve it, and hopefully share that with others so they can utilize it if they choose to.

Didn't mean to fire back at you like that so hard, it's frustrating getting what seems like 'trolled' by guys when you're trying to come up with a viable solution to a problem without just throwing more money at it (that didn't work well for me the first time around, lol). I'm sure you've been in the same boat, maybe just ease up a bit, I know I'm still new here but damn. lol.

Originally Posted by pss350z
Also, after adding TPs if anything you lean things out as you get more flow, so you tune to add more fuel. Hmmmmmmmm
There is no description of the "smell" in this thread. I would assume being too rich or too lean would cause an abnormal smell.

I am going to mess with tuning some more to see if I can noticably change the smell any better. I'd been tuning for power, but I can probably cut some fuel in spots to keep 14.7 and see if that makes a big diff.

And here's the Cat I am getting, I did some more research and got some tips on better quality. A link

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...High%2C/Detail

Last edited by TunerMax; 09-04-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
Maybe it's an earlier car thing?
Actually, YES. I think Later models (unsure of the years in the Z, but the G was 05+) got Factory Widebands to replace the archaic Narrowband sensors. If this is true, then it explains it.

(Pretty much) Narrowband sensors read 14.7, that's it. Any reading higher is viewed as LEAN. Anything lower is viewed as RICH.
This limits engine control, and headers/test pipes, etc become useless on those cars without a tune.

Widebands read from about 8.0 to 20.0 fairly accurately, giving the ECU room to make small adjustments rather than just slamming fuel down the cylinders throat. This will equate to much less Test pipe smell for sure.

Again, I'm hoping some of you guys are right and this CAN be fixed with tuning for some of it, but at WOT, car runs rich, supposed to, so that simple fact alone tells me that it's not possible to get rid of the smell 100% ever.
Especially in SC applications running AFR's that are always rich. Turbos for whatever reason seem to take the smell away naturally, dont know the reasoning.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No worries man, just hope you get it to where you are comfortable with it. I would think you could get close with a Haltech and then an added cat would insure.

Are you SC'd?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 AM
TunerMax

No worries man, just hope you get it to where you are comfortable with it. I would think you could get close with a Haltech and then an added cat would insure.

Are you SC'd?
Me too. I'm sure I can get it better than it was with the stock ECU controlling things, I've already done that to some extent, but I doubt it will ever go away completely.

The ticket for not having cats is insane, they don't mess around with that stuff. I knew a cop wouldn't crawl under the car randomly to check, but if he smells that driving behind me he better/should be pulling me over. If not he sucks at his job, lol.

And my charger is on the way, wishing I would've used a different retailer because this one is not doing good Been waiting over 10 days and it hasn't even shipped yet, they told me it'd arrive within 2 weeks of payment.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 AM
bmyles

I actually almost did your exact idea. I was going to pick up a set of blown Random Tech cats for super cheap, get an aftermarket Y-pipe, and weld in a high flow cat. I ended up not doing it because I'm tired of messing around with having stuff custom welded in and chancing it not sounding right, etc. But I was this close! I don't think it's a dumb idea at all and I know the smell you are talking about. I don't personally mind it, but I do have consideration for those around me and I feel bad covering them in my fumes when I punch it.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id have to say i stopped reading when i got to the point you were talking about putting high flow cats in with the test pipes...lmfao..that is pointless...do reasearch and try again

u sir fail
Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 AM
tylerxfire

just take the test pipes out and get high flow cats..the difference will be minimal and it wont smell anymore..wow rocket science stuff
Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
id have to say i stopped reading when i got to the point you were talking about putting high flow cats in with the test pipes...lmfao..that is pointless...do reasearch and try again

u sir fail

just take the test pipes out and get high flow cats..the difference will be minimal and it wont smell anymore..wow rocket science stuff
No you stopped reading when you saw others chime in with negative comments. Welcome aboard the bandwagon sir, way to think for yourself

If you want to comment, read the thread first, otherwise you only make yourself look foolish

Last edited by TunerMax; 08-25-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 AM
tylerxfire

1. Purchase 2 quality 200-300 cell High Flow metallic Cats and custom install them into the front of the test pipes.

umm...ok^^^quoted from yourself
Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 AM
TunerMax

1. Purchase 2 quality 200-300 cell High Flow metallic Cats and custom install them into the front of the test pipes.

umm...ok^^^quoted from yourself
Yes, and

The reasoning explained well in the OP, and was questioned in later posts, and I explained further. Stop posting until you read the thread.

Last edited by TunerMax; 08-25-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell Z, get Corvette with cats and 100+ more horsepower. You might get rid of the HC smell but you should be worried about the CO. You can also try plugging the cabin vents in the rear wheel wells.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM
TunerMax

There's in cabin vents in the rear wheel wells? Seriously?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, take out the styrofoam under the carpet. Hard to seal, lots of pressure pushing in.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 AM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by str8dum1
if you arent tuned overly rich, it doesnt smell.
To comment on this in my particular instance, and research shows others have experienced the same, tuning seems to make little difference in this smell.

OEM computer reads 14.7-15.5 without tuning constantly on a Wideband readout and on the OEM Sensor.
So it's actually doing it's job of keeping correct AFR's just perfect even with test pipes. Not running rich at all.

Tuning with the haltech reveals the same.

Smell doesn't go away.

Last edited by TunerMax; 09-03-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only cabin vent is up in the passenger side behind the battery box.

Unless you have a leaking gasket the exhaust gases will exit the rear of the vehicle and you won't smell them. I haven't had cats for years and only smell it if the car is running in a closed space. Check your gaskets. No smell or exhaust should be coming out from under the car.

Also, do you have open breathers? That's usually a culprit for cabin smell since it vents into the engine bay. Exhaust should never vent into the engine bay unless there is a leak.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM
TunerMax

Nah I only smell it when stopped with windows down really. I have a 2 year old as well, between that and a cop driving behind me and pinching me, I have two super solid reasons to fix this.

The fact that I personally dislike that my "infiniti" smells like a POS, whether to myself or those unfortunate enough to drive behind me, is just added incentive, lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Itzcashew

Ok I don't think you understand what the point of TP are. They're cat deletes, they delte the cat. Putting HFC on again is redundant.

While yes, Motordyne offer a XYZ pipe with a HFC sub part, it's really there for sniffer testing in California. There really is no way to escape the fuel smell, just put cats back on if you're sensitive. Not that hard of a decision.

Quick Reply: Test Pipe Smell, Ideas to fix under $200 :)