Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HKS replica review M2 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Bumble Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use mine with my XYZ pipe with resonator all i had to do was get a transition Y pipe 3" in 2.5" outlets and weld some flanges at the shop im happy with mine had it for 4 months no problems
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM
DemandedAce

j3tt had a shop do his and it wasn't a successful job unfortunately :-/. He and I both ordered the same M2 setup however I think his shop was unwilling to cut and modify as much as was necessary to get it to fit. I just did mine today and had to cut and bend a bit to make the system fit and it took a good while to get just right, leaving plenty of leaks I had to take care of..

I think it sounds nice personally, a good growl especially on acceleration without being abusively loud. Also, I didn't do an X-pipe weld, I kept it as M2 shipped it and I'm going to be yelling at them on Monday about their horrible fitment.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't yell at fitment on a 500$ exhaust. Maybe yell At yourself.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 AM
Bumble Z

yea i heard nightmares about their H pipe fitment i didnt bother with it just the H-back to muffler portion of the exhaust
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM
DemandedAce

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
I wouldn't yell at fitment on a 500$ exhaust. Maybe yell At yourself.
Yawn, your unending attitude toward everyone that doesn't spend $1k+ on every part of their car is tiresome. You should try a new angle sometime, change it up a little.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM
DemandedAce

Originally Posted by Bumble Z
yea i heard nightmares about their H pipe fitment i didnt bother with it just the H-back to muffler portion of the exhaust
Yeah it definitely took a while to bend the pipes correctly to prevent all the rattling and to cut the flange to work the passenger side off part of the suspension. Totally worth it so far though, really liking it
Old 03-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Bumble Z

Originally Posted by DemandedAce
Yeah it definitely took a while to bend the pipes correctly to prevent all the rattling and to cut the flange to work the passenger side off part of the suspension. Totally worth it so far though, really liking it
glad to hear that and i have to agree on the whole spending 1k+ on an exhaust system its just pipes that add nearly the same amount of hp some sounding better then others i for one like the hks look which is why i chose the m2
Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Z33_Taxi

I've had this setup on my Z now for about 800 miles, coming from a straight pipe off the Y. Sounds great, with a decent shop they can make fitment almost OEM. I have the magnaflow X pipe as well and I get nothing,but compliments.

People will fanboy and say "HKS is best" because that's what they have. At the end of the day pipe is pipe, diameter is diameter, but $1200 will never be $500
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Bumble Z

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi
I've had this setup on my Z now for about 800 miles, coming from a straight pipe off the Y. Sounds great, with a decent shop they can make fitment almost OEM. I have the magnaflow X pipe as well and I get nothing,but compliments.

People will fanboy and say "HKS is best" because that's what they have. At the end of the day pipe is pipe, diameter is diameter, but $1200 will never be $500
well said
Old 03-10-2013, 02:22 PM
DemandedAce

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi

+100
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Originally Posted by DemandedAce
Yawn, your unending attitude toward everyone that doesn't spend $1k+ on every part of their car is tiresome. You should try a new angle sometime, change it up a little.
Sorry sport no attitude here. Iv owned this sh1tty exhaust. For about a month. Worst exhaust iv seen. But again you get what you pay for. Which is my point of my post. I could care less how much it cost. However when you cheap out and you have problems blame your cheap as$ self.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM
j3tt2

Yeah sorry boys I fell off on the review. I was pretty heated at the way it fit and I didn't have to tools to tinker with it myself or I would have done also what demandedace did.

The shop I took it to was willing to butcher it but I was so pissed I just had them take it back stock. I didn't get an attitude with the seller, he was cool about it all. He refused my money all I was out was shipping back to him and a 15% restocking fee. He said he usually doesn't take that stuff back, but since I kept my cool towards him he helped me out due to understanding the frustration.

I get that you get almost perfect fitnent unlike we had with this exhaust when you buy the real deal. I'm not dying this exhaust is better, but if you have the tools to do wahat ace did I would highly recommend it. Te real HKS wil most likely for perfect, with no leaks like we had with the replica.
The point of this was to save a little cash and still have a good exhaust. Yeah call me poor/cheap/whatever but it never hurts to save $1k when possible.

This whole ordeal made me rethink how I'm approaching my car mods. I will not do any not performance due to the lack of power that is actually increased. You spend almost 3k in full-bolt ons (less cams and any internal work), for this I can supercharge it with a low boost and still have a reliable car to drive once I get a DD, plus it will be fun. I understand a supercharged engine without internal work will cost around $5k(depending on how much I can do myself) and for a built SC or TT I could possibly be around the $10k mark. So the Z is not worth all this in my perspective. I have a good job, about to graduate and get a better job, and have quite a bit of money set back. So rethinking my whole build I will probly end up buying a different car that comes FI stock or FI the Z (or LSx) later on. Losing $100 isn't alot in the scheme of things but it did make me realize and research alot. This forum is a gold mine of info on the Z and the G.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Please research FI before you go
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry sport no attitude here. Iv owned this sh1tty exhaust. For about a month. Worst exhaust iv seen. But again you get what you pay for. Which is my point of my post. I could care less how much it cost. However when you cheap out and you have problems blame your cheap as$ self.
Well said. You can't complain about fitment and quality on a replica part. There is a reason why it costs X amount versus the authentic part costing X amount.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM
j3tt2

Please research FI before you go
Oh I will, thi isn't something I'm going to do over night. It's gonna be a while if I even decide to go that route or get a different car in gerneral. I love the Z but the NA power you get afte mods is pathetic almost. It's a strong car to begin with but when you spend that much in bolt on mods (assuming if you go name brand) then you might as well went FI
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM
trusovici

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default custom

been thinking about getting the replica and modify it with the magnaflow x pipe since i picked up the z but recently ive been looking into buying an entry level mig welder and fabbing up a single from the y pipe with a vibrant resonator and a magnaflow or other aftermarket muffler. any ideas?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
DemandedAce

Originally Posted by trusovici
been thinking about getting the replica and modify it with the magnaflow x pipe since i picked up the z but recently ive been looking into buying an entry level mig welder and fabbing up a single from the y pipe with a vibrant resonator and a magnaflow or other aftermarket muffler. any ideas?
There is actually a decent amount of room to work with underneath, you just have to be really precise with how you route the pipe because of the suspension. One dude created his own exhaust the other day (tiny single pipe) but it actually sounds really good and can easily be modified to have dual tips. I'd look into that thread and ask him for advice
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by trusovici
Look into Agency Power single
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 AM
DemandedAce

Also, I wanted to add that I know J3tt and I didn't have the greatest fitment with Statik, but they have a proven track record and I believe this was probably (hopefully) an isolated incident with us and Henry (the distributor) worked very quickly with us to help us out.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by j3tt2
Yeah sorry boys I fell off on the review. I was pretty heated at the way it fit and I didn't have to tools to tinker with it myself or I would have done also what demandedace did.

The shop I took it to was willing to butcher it but I was so pissed I just had them take it back stock. I didn't get an attitude with the seller, he was cool about it all. He refused my money all I was out was shipping back to him and a 15% restocking fee. He said he usually doesn't take that stuff back, but since I kept my cool towards him he helped me out due to understanding the frustration.

I get that you get almost perfect fitnent unlike we had with this exhaust when you buy the real deal. I'm not dying this exhaust is better, but if you have the tools to do wahat ace did I would highly recommend it. Te real HKS wil most likely for perfect, with no leaks like we had with the replica.
The point of this was to save a little cash and still have a good exhaust. Yeah call me poor/cheap/whatever but it never hurts to save $1k when possible.

This whole ordeal made me rethink how I'm approaching my car mods. I will not do any not performance due to the lack of power that is actually increased. You spend almost 3k in full-bolt ons (less cams and any internal work), for this I can supercharge it with a low boost and still have a reliable car to drive once I get a DD, plus it will be fun. I understand a supercharged engine without internal work will cost around $5k(depending on how much I can do myself) and for a built SC or TT I could possibly be around the $10k mark. So the Z is not worth all this in my perspective. I have a good job, about to graduate and get a better job, and have quite a bit of money set back. So rethinking my whole build I will probly end up buying a different car that comes FI stock or FI the Z (or LSx) later on. Losing $100 isn't alot in the scheme of things but it did make me realize and research alot. This forum is a gold mine of info on the Z and the G.
That's actually suprising that you had so many issues, I guess it all depends on the replica brand of exhaust that you end up getting.

Quick Reply: HKS replica review M2 Performance