Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

XYZ-Straight Pipe/Resonator/HFC

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts
Default XYZ-Straight Pipe/Resonator/HFC

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd start up a thread due to some specific questions I've had as well as running across contradicting information in regards to the interchangeable mid-sections of the popular Motordyne XYZ Pipe.

Right now, I'm running Z1 2.5in. Test pipes, an AAM Competition Y-Pipe, and a Momentum Performance Dual Exhaust. The setup is very loud and aggressive. I certainly haven't minded it, I've been running it for over a year now and have taken multiple road trips in the car of 9+ hours. Truthfully doesn't bother me, unless I've got a passenger riding with me. It's actually difficult to carry on a conversation.

I'd like to keep my test pipes and Momentum Exhaust, but want to swap in a Motordyne XYZ with either the HFC section or the Resonator section. Could someone shine some light on what results I may see from each piece? I'd like to reduce cabin noise and tame the exhaust note a bit. Reduction in rasp would also be nice, even thought I hardly notice it due to the sheer db level of the system as a whole.

Does one reduce drone more than the other? One reduce cabin noise more than the other? Will each produce a unique exhaust note compared to the other?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Would also like to knowm been thinking about getting the straight section for mine to replace the res section. Just a hair louder would be cool.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

In a couple of weeks I'll be swapping in some HFC's with my MD XYZ with resonator and Fujitsubo exhaust. I'll post up some sound clips...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
RENFRO

Cool, thanks man...but I'm interested as to what the system will sound like with only the resonator on the XYZ, or only the HFC on the XYZ. I'm sure the combination of HFC's in place of OEM cats with the resonator on the XYZ will result in a different sound.

My goal here is to figure out what differences the different sections on the XYZ will make essentially on a completely free flowing exhaust. No cats pre or post XYZ section. Hopefully Hydrazine will get in here and help us out!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
RENFRO

Just a quick followup guys. I spoke with Tony from Motordyne on the phone yesterday and he in fact did suggest that I go with the resonator section for my specific needs. He said it should really tone down the rasp and drone of my current system. Furthermore, he suggested if I want to take down the volume even more I should go with the ART pipes, which I intend to do in the future.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future searching for the same answer!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You've basically said advice thats been reiterated for 3 or 4 years...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:54 AM
RENFRO

Cool, thanks for your input.