Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exotic sounding exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 12:07 PM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 350zdanny
It's not worth the money IMHO, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it.
haha, believe it or not I'm the same way Right now I don't have any spare cash, and my car is in storage. :P

I'm sure you'd be happy with the Nismo. It's not that much more expensive than the Borla.
A mix of performance and sound are my judging criteria. For example, I think I like the nismo exhuast sound better, but since borla has better gains, I think I would go with borla (since it's decent sounding). Aren't the borla gains around 9hp/tq higher than the nismo?

EDIT: Last time I frequented the boards was last summer. After reading the sport Z mag exhaust shootout post, it seems the exhausts only produce around 7hp =/// Last I knew borla was claiming 19 or something!!!

Last edited by phile; 01-28-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
coachk
Banned

Looking for some feedback on xerta long tube headers with borla true dual exhaust.no cats necessary in florida.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:19 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default 5Zigen

Originally posted by phile
I just listened to a bunch of sound clips. The first set of clips are all recorded in a similar fashion, so I could go between the stock and nismo clip. The nismo sounds like an amplified version of the stock exhuast. This is not a bad thing, I think it sounds very nice. I can't decide what I want actually. I am going to have to dig up some other borla clips because I can't really hear the exhuast at higher rpms based on the clip. The 5Zigen exhuast sounds really nice too...does anyone know the claimed performance, or if it has been independently dynoed? I don't want an exhuast that is too loud....does the 5Zigen fireball exhasut fall under that category?

I need to go look at prices before anything , I just thought of that, haha.
Yeah, I think that out of ALL the exhaust systems that I have heard for the Z, the 5Zigen is by far the best sounding IMHO. However, based on the dyno results in Sport Z Magazine in their last issue with the "Dyno Shootout", the 5Zigen was the only system that actually LOST horsepower. Until recently I had not actually seen a 5Zigen system, but I have seen it recently and I as good as it "sounds", I am not a fan of the single exhaust tip on the Z. It looks unfinished. I believe that in the shootout, the Borla had the best HP gain, but the sound is too wimpy, once again IMHO.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-28-2004, 03:19 PM
phile

Default Re: 5Zigen

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Yeah, I think that out of ALL the exhaust systems that I have heard for the Z, the 5Zigen is by far the best sounding IMHO. However, based on the dyno results in Sport Z Magazine in their last issue with the "Dyno Shootout", the 5Zigen was the only system that actually LOST horsepower. Until recently I had not actually seen a 5Zigen system, but I have seen it recently and I as good as it "sounds", I am not a fan of the single exhaust tip on the Z. It looks unfinished. I believe that in the shootout, the Borla had the best HP gain, but the sound is too wimpy, once again IMHO.

-Chrismcagle
It really angers me that we can only get a few hp from an 800 dollar exhaust. It's an ECU thing I guess... I'll have to check the ECU threads, but I wonder what just an ECU flash and a good ehaust would yield in hp?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Yielar

The reason why people aren't getting tremendous gains from aftermarket exhausts is because the stock exhaust is quite well engineered after all. I'm thinking of going with the Borla because I like the deeper growl at higher RPM's and the price is right once I work in the CDN exchange.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:47 PM
phile

Hey, has anyone heard anything good about the new RS-R dual sound exhuast coming out for the Z?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:01 PM
mofoz

i have read a couple reviews from people who bought it and loved it. I have the nismo and every time i start my Z its like a moment of bliss. Its not ricey and the tips look amazing.(i loved the stock) Im personally not a fan of single exhausts or the large tipped exhausts(coffee can size). The main problem i had with borla was the amount of pieces that made it up, and the more connections means the higher possibility of leaks and more of a pain in the *** to install. I heard the borla in person, and it sounded better in stock, but not the exotic sound the nismo had. I truely think you cant go wrong either way.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nismo has better torque gains than the Borla - - you buy for HP but you drive Torque.

Steve
Old 01-29-2004, 03:43 AM
little_rod

Well, I would like to see a true dual with an exotic sound. I haven't heard anything I like that meets this criteria. Would end up with the borla cause of bang for the buck, but wish there was something out there that just called for me to buy it.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:02 AM
FairladyZ

The borla and Injen sound like my friends ford ranger w/glasspack.

I wouldnt get the 5zigen because the exhuast tips are so ugly. I dislike the fart cans.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:21 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Borla vs. Injen

I have had the opportunity to hear both the Borla and Injen exhausts in person which REALLY makes all the difference in the world. In all the sound clips floating around the web, the Injen sounded like an amped up honda civic or something. Very buzzy and fart cannish... but in person they sound Shhhhhhhweeeeet!!! The absolute best sounding exhaust on the Z. My next favorite would have to be the Invidia system. It's however a bit on the loud side (some might like that though). If I am going to spend upwards of $700 for an exhaust I want it to perform as well to the ear, as it does to Horsepower and unfortunately the Borla falls short of the first criteria. It sounds only slightly louder than stock. Just not worth spending all that money for, IMHO.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Traffic

Amuse and Mine's are the two best I've heard for the Z. I was fond of my Power Enterprise exhaust too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
powerenterpriseexhaust.zip (104.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-29-2004, 09:03 AM
350zdanny

Daytona,

Didn't you have a PE exhaust on a DB Z in the Bruns? I think I saw you cruising around once or twice.

Steve -

If the Nismo had "better" torque gains it would also make more horsepower. It just makes torque in different places, and as you say, the wrong places because people buy HP.

Chris -

I heard an Injen SES up at the lime rock CT meet we had over the summer and it sounded like a fart can. What other mods did the car you heard it on have?

I used to love the Amuse, and I still do I guess , but the Tommy Kaira (stainless steel model) sounds sweet. I just might be in the market for one of those afterall.

Dan
Old 01-29-2004, 09:24 AM
ChrisMCagle

Chris -

I heard an Injen SES up at the lime rock CT meet we had over the summer and it sounded like a fart can. What other mods did the car you heard it on have?

Dan
It only had the Injen SES exhaust. That's it. The only thing that I can think is that the person's Z you heard did not have the resonators installed. I have heard that removing those can make the Injen louder and more like a fart can. That's about all I can think of.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-30-2004, 01:08 AM
staggered_IS

Originally posted by shimZ
Obayashi (Styleking K)...=)
Werd, I also thought the Tommy Kaira - Z type II sounded sick.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Traffic

Daytona,

Didn't you have a PE exhaust on a DB Z in the Bruns? I think I saw you cruising around once or twice.
Yeah, that was me.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:01 AM
spankyG35

How about the B&B Exhaust? How does the sound compare. I like the elliptical tips? They claim 9HP gain.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Z PHAT Z

Originally posted by coachk
Looking for some feedback on xerta long tube headers with borla true dual exhaust.no cats necessary in florida.
I used to have this combo setup. To me it sound amazing except for the 3.5k rpm to 4.5k rpm raspi sound. At start up, it sound really mean, just like a V8.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:22 PM
VeilSdeGTO

VeilSide Titanium Tear Drop Exhaust. =)
Old 02-03-2004, 01:11 PM
phile

Originally posted by VeilSdeGTO
VeilSide Titanium Tear Drop Exhaust. =)
I'd like to hear a soundclip fo the teardrop exhaust

Quick Reply: Exotic sounding exhaust