Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Pop charger killing Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 03:26 PM
silverstoneTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Pop charger killing Car?

It was freezing and I don't have a garage but I went out and installed the pop charger. Had a bit of trouble getting two screws in but I ended up dropping and losing them but thats besides the point. So I take the car for a ride, sounds nice and then i open her up when I all of the sudden see the check engine light come on and realize I cant steer and the car had turned off. happened one other tiume but then not again. Has this happened to anyone else? Should i be concerned or is this the computer getting used to it? I dont want to be driving on the highway and have the car shut down on me.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:32 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed my popcharger on Saturday and ive been snowed in for 3 days so i havent been able to drive much. On Saturday however, i took it out and ran it up through the gears more than a few times and its incredible. Car seems to run much better and smoother. I havent noticed a CEL, but if you're car is throwing one, then something is up. Your car's ECU will "learn" this mod over time, but maybe you wanna go ahead and reset your ECU.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:36 PM
silverstoneTT

What does CEL stand for? Doesn't sound good so lets hope my car isnt throwing one? Im going to see how it goes tomorrow if not I'll look into trying to pull off that pedal routine to reset the ECU
Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 PM
MyZ4U2C

CEL=Check Engine Light....some mods throw one, some dont. Usually the ones that do are the ones that make the most difference. Just reset the ECU and you'll be fine.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM
spazpilot

CEL = Check engine light
Old 01-27-2004, 05:15 PM
350zdanny

If you shook up the plastic underpan of the car you could have found the screws. I drop stuff down there all the time. It's a pain.

The only time I've heard of the car turning off is when the MAF sensor was installed backwards, or some people say, when there is a vacuum leak.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:33 PM
287HP

The car will stall off a high rev if you immediately throw it into neutral. Try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery; that should help, although it still may stall. Your best bet is to keep it in gear when coming off of a high rev.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:56 PM
silverstoneTT

Thanks for the info/help everyone.
287, im gonna try doing that, going into neutral off a high rev to see if maybe i was doing that without realizing it. If not, it seems the ecu reset is the way to go.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Ultimateone

Remember the ECU reset is more than a battery being unplugged, its that crazy step on the gas for 3 seconds and etc etc etc...
Old 01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
B2BigAl

I had the EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN when I installed my popcharger. I installed it, then drove my car straight to the car wash. After I washed it, I got right on the highway and punched it, naturally. Same deal, looked at the instrument panel, and the car had died. I cruised into a gas station and there was some water droplets around the MAF and filter, so I figured that it had gotten some water in it. I thought the car was never going to start again, but after about twenty times of it starting and dying after about ten seconds, it finally perked up and has been running fine for the last two weeks. Beats me?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:26 PM
silverstoneTT

Oh well its reassuring to know I'm not the only one with the problem although there definetly wouldnt have been water by my filter and I didn't have any trouble starting it up again.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:30 PM
FLY BY Z

Just do the ECU reset procedure. I installed mine and reset the ECU before I even started the car. It has run like a top from the first crank.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:38 PM
MyZ4U2C

You can unhook the battery for 24 hours OR do the gas pedal procedure. Either or. Both is not necessary. The pedal method is more involved, but quicker. Unhooking your negative battery cable is easier, but you cant drive for 24 hours. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:42 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
You can unhook the battery for 24 hours OR do the gas pedal procedure. Either or. Both is not necessary. The pedal method is more involved, but quicker. Unhooking your negative battery cable is easier, but you cant drive for 24 hours. Whatever floats your boat.
Do you have Nissan documentation stating that the battery method works? The only docs I have seen is either a Consult II reset or the pedal procedure. I haven't read the manual, naturally. Does it say it in there?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 PM
phile

BTW, how do I do the pedal procedure? I've actually never heard about that before.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Z8M

I reset my ecu by unplugging the battery, depressed the brake pedal and the accelerator a few times to drain the stored current, waited 20 min., restarted, check engine light gone. Hasn't come back since. here's link ---> https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=cel
Old 01-27-2004, 08:38 PM
FLY BY Z

I realize that you can remove the CEL by discon. the battery. However, does this also unlearn the ECU?
Old 01-27-2004, 08:47 PM
alex30327

Default Re: Pop charger killing Car?

Originally posted by silverstoneTT
It was freezing and I don't have a garage but I went out and installed the pop charger. Had a bit of trouble getting two screws in but I ended up dropping and losing them but thats besides the point. So I take the car for a ride, sounds nice and then i open her up when I all of the sudden see the check engine light come on and realize I cant steer and the car had turned off. happened one other tiume but then not again. Has this happened to anyone else? Should i be concerned or is this the computer getting used to it? I dont want to be driving on the highway and have the car shut down on me.

Same thing happened to me when I first got my Z. Let me guess, you where running the engine at high RPM, and then engaged the clutch and let the RPM drop, and the RPM kept on dropping till your car stalled. I had this problem for a while and it eventually slowly went away. First time it happened to me was when I was getting off an exit ramp on the highway. It really freaked me out at first. I had this problem for a couple of weeks, until one day I re-installed my pop charger, and every thing was fine. I've had my car now for 19 months, and no further problems.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:27 AM
MyZ4U2C

Nissan repair manual states that you can disconnect the battery for 24 hours and this will reset the ECU. If you do a search, there are many topics discussing ECU resetting via gad pedal and battery disconect methods.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:30 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
Nissan repair manual states that you can disconnect the battery for 24 hours and this will reset the ECU. If you do a search, there are many topics discussing ECU resetting via gad pedal and battery disconect methods.
All the battery disconnect methods have never had documentation proof posted. You cannot see your battery reset, only a CEL go away. This does not mean the ECU has been reset. You say the repair manual states that it works which is fine. That's good enough for me. But a search won't provide that info.

Quick Reply: Pop charger killing Car?