Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Test Pipe Advice

Old 02-13-2015, 02:56 PM
TitaniumT8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Pipe Advice

Hello, all.

I've been a member here for a little while, but never post. I simply research and read. After researching here I decided to buy a Magnaflow catback exhaust and test pipes. The catback has been installed and sounds near-stock. I'm not pleased. I bought Invidia test pipes and they came in today.

The reason I created this thread is to get advice regarding the test pipes. I called around my area and only one shop will install the pipes. All other shops cited federal law stating cats can't be removed. The one shop that said they'd do it quoted me at "$200-300" to do it on Tuesday 02.17.15. My question is: is it worth it to have the pipes installed for $300? I paid $250 for the pipes and I'm pretty much stuck with them because the place I purchased from has a no return policy on special order items. I really want the pipes installed but I'm worried about the illegality of them and the installation price. I do want a louder and better exhaust note though.

Anyone with test pipes installed have advice? My 2004 Z is stock other than the Magnaflow catback. I'm in the beginning stages of modifying. I've had it since April 2013.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Voodoo Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in an area that doesn't test for emissions you shouldn't be too concerned with the legality of having them on your car. As for installation price, it's up to you to decide on whether getting them installed is worth it; You don't really have much negotiating leverage if only one shop is willing to do it (although it never hurts to try and get the price reduced).
Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

If you plan on living in VA for any length of time, I wouldn't. You'll probably become really popular with the cops up there. But it's your car, do what you want.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:27 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Test pipes are illegal no matter if you county/state does emissions testing or not - its a federal law, not a state/county specific. With that being said, I only install my test pipes when I'm at the track...cough cough

$300 is a little high but if you can't do it yourself than you are stuck paying someone to do it for you.

Can you not do them yourself? It's pretty simple and you'll need some o2 sensor non-foulers no matter who does the work.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 PM
TitaniumT8

Originally Posted by bealljk
Test pipes are illegal no matter if you county/state does emissions testing or not - its a federal law, not a state/county specific. With that being said, I only install my test pipes when I'm at the track...cough cough

$300 is a little high but if you can't do it yourself than you are stuck paying someone to do it for you.

Can you not do them yourself? It's pretty simple and you'll need some o2 sensor non-foulers no matter who does the work.
I don't have a ramp or lift and I was told that my bolts on cat are stripped (or another word they used); therefore, welding would have to be done. This came from the place I purchased from. They aren't equipped to do welding. They installed my Magnaflow.

When/if I go to the one shop that said they'll do it should I ask about the O2 sensor non foulers or should they already know to install them. Is this something I should purchase online before I go? And yes my state tests for emissions, but I'm good until April 2016.
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

It's a headache pay the shop. Most strip bolts or don't have 3 feet of extension to get the top bolt
Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by TitaniumT8
I don't have a ramp or lift and I was told that my bolts on cat are stripped (or another word they used); therefore, welding would have to be done. This came from the place I purchased from. They aren't equipped to do welding. They installed my Magnaflow.

When/if I go to the one shop that said they'll do it should I ask about the O2 sensor non foulers or should they already know to install them. Is this something I should purchase online before I go? And yes my state tests for emissions, but I'm good until April 2016.
Thanks.
I hear ya...Have you looked on craigslist in the automotive services section? You may find a independent guy who will do the work for a lesser price.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:58 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Thanks.
I hear ya...Have you looked on craigslist in the automotive services section? You may find a independent guy who will do the work for a lesser price.

I'd also find a can of PB blaster and spray that hardware that is stripped...it'll loosen things up.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:36 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Quick tip...forget PBblaster when it comes to installing test pipes, many people have a really hard time with the top bolts being really really tight even with PB Blaster.

The solution: Kroil

Get some off Amazon and apply it to the top bolts and give it a day...those bolts will come right off for your mechanic or yourself.

Kroil is the about the best product on the market.

Hope this helps,

Saved
Old 02-14-2015, 01:42 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, a good way to find a good independent mechanic is call up insurance agents, just be honest and tell them it was suggested that an insurance agent might know a good mechanic to recommend (insurance guys know a lot of people since they're always networking and centered on auto insurance).

Can also go down to a dealership and ask any of the mechanics if they work on the side. Talk to them privately.

Saved
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
The solution: Kroil
Havent heard of it...I'll def give it a try...PB's been good to me!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:12 AM
lilzilla7

Just go to a dealership and ask a mechanic to do it for u way cheaper
Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 50/50 mix of acetone and trans fluid in a spray bottle beats all other penetrants I've ever used. As the acetone dries it draws the transmission fluid into the pours of the metal and gets it to the threads. It's made disassembling dad's 77 bronco a pleasure.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM
TitaniumT8

Thank you all for the advice. I just got the pipes installed less than an hour ago by the only guy in the area that would remove cats. He charged $250. I gave him an extra ten even though I knew he overcharged me. Took him an hour.

It's snowing here, so when I left his shop I couldn't really get on the gas, but it sounds good from what I heard. There's a hissing sound when I rev though.

The mechanic told me my O2 sensor was bad and I'll need a new sensor. He said to tell that to whoever is going to do my tune.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by bealljk
and you'll need some o2 sensor non-foulers no matter who does the work.

The mechanic told me my O2 sensor was bad and I'll need a new sensor. He said to tell that to whoever is going to do my tune.
welcome to life!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:59 AM
TitaniumT8

Update: I now know exactly what rasp is. Between 3k-4k RPM it is raspy. Nice growl when idle. I seem to have lost some low end power. Check engine light came on of course. Need 02 sensors. Any advice on rasp and power loss? I am waiting on a tune after I get CAI and plenum spacer.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:04 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

you most likely lost torque, and there isnt much you can do about rasp... what exhaust do you have?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:45 AM
TitaniumT8

Last edited by TitaniumT8; 02-19-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:55 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

You're stuck with the rasp.

As for power loss, get a tune.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

if you do x-pipe it will reduce it some.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test Pipe Advice