Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Catalytic Converter is rattling. How soon must I replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Stevefromsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter is rattling. How soon must I replace it?

My passenger side catalytic converter is rattling. It's very annoying. One mechanic said it might last 6 months or it might last a year. I remember the 2002 Altima (I owned one) had had a problem with the catalytic converter being so close to the engine that it would disintegrate and eventually destroyed the engine. Do I need to worry about that with my 2004 350Z? Ironically I got a form in the mail last week about Nissan owing $3K to Altima owners who had to replace their engines for that exact defect.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:07 AM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Eventually with the material inside the cat will start to break apart and cause a restriction. You'll know this cause your vehicle will not accelerate very well or at all. There's really no way to tell for sure.

Time for High flow cats

Last edited by PP08HR; 12-24-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Stevefromsd

How much does it cost to replace two catalytic converters in a 2004 350Z? Not using high flow CC's. Just regular ones.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:48 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Get on Google and start searching, and be aware that you should specifically look for some which are California-legal (CARB), as they may not all be. Installation is just bolt-on, but on a 12+ year old car you may have to deal with the original bolts being rusty and very tough to remove. It's usually easier to just break or cut them.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:42 PM
alyray

Originally Posted by Stevefromsd
My passenger side catalytic converter is rattling. It's very annoying. One mechanic said it might last 6 months or it might last a year. I remember the 2002 Altima (I owned one) had had a problem with the catalytic converter being so close to the engine that it would disintegrate and eventually destroyed the engine. Do I need to worry about that with my 2004 350Z? Ironically I got a form in the mail last week about Nissan owing $3K to Altima owners who had to replace their engines for that exact defect.
I had the same rattle on passenger side and it was simply the converter knocking against the floor of the car making a knocking sound. I took a crowbar and pried the converter away from the bottom and that worked for about a year now it's doing it again. time ti find the crowbar. I have a 2006 350 Z conv.