Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Resonator delete on hks replica?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Teluga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator delete on hks replica?

Title

Last edited by Teluga; 02-12-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Teluga
Anyone advise against this or have any suggestions on making an hks replica sound LOUD. Thanks (06 350z de)
Why do you wish to do this?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:59 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Because he's a 17-year old baller, and I'm glad he's far way from me.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:32 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
Because he's a 17-year old baller, and I'm glad he's far way from me.
Hmmm, now I want to know why he edited out the original text as shown in my post asking why above.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

because he knew he was going to be called on for being a tard
Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well, fack'o'da'matter, I really wanted to know why he wants to make it LOUD? Like a dual HKS rep sys isn't loud enough?

OK, OP, here's the thing.... resonators "help" to take out rasp and buzz, moreso than loudness. ("Takes the edge off".) It'll get louder a bit but frankly don't think it's worth the annoyance at cruise speeds.

If you want a louder system, get a big pipe single. Tomei Expreme or other. Pretty much anything that uses an N1 style muffler.

Or - and I can't believe I'm recommending a solution for loudness - remove the rear muffs and run stingers or SuperTrap with all the baffles in it. "I'm sorry officer, what did you say?"

Keep in mind that if you plan to track the car, most tracks now have sound ordinances...and you WILL get meatballed for running over. Just sayin'...
The following users liked this post:
Teluga (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:13 PM
Teluga

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Well, fack'o'da'matter, I really wanted to know why he wants to make it LOUD? Like a dual HKS rep sys isn't loud enough?

OK, OP, here's the thing.... resonators "help" to take out rasp and buzz, moreso than loudness. ("Takes the edge off".) It'll get louder a bit but frankly don't think it's worth the annoyance at cruise speeds.

If you want a louder system, get a big pipe single. Tomei Expreme or other. Pretty much anything that uses an N1 style muffler.

Or - and I can't believe I'm recommending a solution for loudness - remove the rear muffs and run stingers or SuperTrap with all the baffles in it. "I'm sorry officer, what did you say?"

Keep in mind that if you plan to track the car, most tracks now have sound ordinances...and you WILL get meatballed for running over. Just sayin'...
thank you for answering my question despite how dumb you think I am. Will deleting the muffleres give it an unbearable tone along with the obvious loudness?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:30 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Teluga
thank you for answering my question despite how dumb you think I am. Will deleting the muffleres give it an unbearable tone along with the obvious loudness?
Hey bud, never said you were dumb. I don't believe in that.

I do question the motivations of many but hey, your car and whatever you wanna do to it to make YOU happy, I'm all for it. Seriously.

But I question the "loudness factor". None of the exhausts out there for street use yield much power - unless you tune the car for your setup - and by that, meaning you correct air/fuel ratio to 14.7 stochio to extract the most out of it so.... it's almost next to useless to make the exhaust louder just for the sake of it.

Then, there's the annoyance factor. Big, aftermarket exhausts all create it. I'm not talking about people nearby (although that's a consideration) but rather, horrible things like altering the resonance, creating drone at cruising speeds, and the aforementioned rasp; all of which take a lot away from the driving experience.

Good news is that most decent aftermarket exhaust systems - as designed - usually aren't too bad. But when you start messing with the matched components, that's where you run into these issues.

All I'm saying is, careful what you wish for - in this case, loudness - but you just might end up regretting what you did cuz you got more loud AND more of the other stuff. Personally, I'd just stick with the exhaust as is and put your money into something a little more gratifying, like suspension if you haven't already done so.

My 2-cents only.
The following users liked this post:
Teluga (02-14-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

In other words your looking to hack a exhaust you paid good money for. And turn it into a over priced and ghetto straight pipe.

If you really want loud find out the diameter of the exhaust you have and just buy that size pipe and run it.

Not encouraging this because it sounds like crap. But I'm just trying to save you the wasted time and effort to just ruin your exhaust sound on the cheap.

Might sound cool and race car in theory, but will literally sound like your Z is a knock off rice can. And no girls don't find it cool or exciting. Usually everyone agrees it sounds cheap and wanna b.

Last edited by CK_32; 02-15-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:24 PM
RexLegutan

hks rep resonator delete 2008 350z