Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Charcoal/EVAP canister issues - leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:08 PM
Miguel Albanez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal/EVAP canister issues - leak?

Hey Everyone!

First off, thank you for any help provided as it is so great that there are people willing to help out and save us a ton of money!

My issue today is that I've had an EVAP code for a while now P0442 and P1444. I've done a few things to try to fix it such as replacing the vent control valve on the charcoal canister, removing and testing the purge solenoid near the intake, and replacing the gas cap.

Today, I lifted the car to check the charcoal canister lines to see if something was loose. To my surprise, there is a fluid all over JUST that part of the rear (pictures attached). This is the passenger side rear. I removed the charcoal canister and tested to see if it is clogged (it is not). Thus, everything with the EVAP system seems just fine but the car does run rough and the codes register EVAP. The people at AutoZone said this is quite odd because there is no oil in the charcoal canister that looks like the oil that is leaking.

Overall, I'm lost on the situation and would truly appreciate any insight you have to offer. It is also worth noting that everything else around the area is dry? AutoZone mentioned that it could be a power steering or oil engine leak? Although why would this register EVAP?

Thank you again!

The last two pictures are of the canister before it was removed. I forgot to include the pictures of the inside of the hoses but they are all totally dry!

Last edited by Miguel Albanez; 04-24-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Miguel Albanez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: The oil was coming from my trunk. I had spilled some oil a way ago and it leaked through a hole right above the canister and made a mess. I cleaned it up and reset the PC but still got an SES - drove it around for a bit and no changes. I Will let it sit overnight and come back to it in the morning. Thus, I've tried replacing the evap control valve (maybe I installed it wrong?), have tested the solenoid near the intake (blew air to make sure that the valve was closed), have tested the charcoal canister (blew air through purge to make sure it came out through gas tank entry) - Checked the visible hoses and there was no cracks.

Thank you for any help guys, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Miguel Albanez; 04-24-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Update