Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Cheap eBay intake Vs. JWT Popcharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 12:05 AM
rcbaughn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap eBay intake Vs. JWT Popcharger

I have been looking, and the intakes look the same all but the heat shield. I have found a filter shield online though, it’s a universal shield but will work with the $42 intake and $20 for the shield. Here are the links -

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283153109411

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223468613392

I can’t see this being much different than the JWT Popcharger, and I feel like you’d get that same loud intake sound & whistle, but I wanted opinions.

Please let let me know opinions. I am ready to pull the trigger for $62 or hold off for a JWT Popcharger and save up the money. All I car about of loud intake sound that will compliment my test pipes.

Thanks so, so, so much guys,
Cory Baughn
Old 07-08-2019, 12:34 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

So this is strictly for aesthetics and sound?

The reason that I ask is because the OEM intake is plastic tubing and pulls its air from in front of the radiator. The JWT, if I remember correctly, has a heat shield that seals against the hood when closed. The shield you linked to does not appear to do the same. Meaning that although the JWT has a metal intake tube and pulls from behind the radiator, the air is at least somewhat protected from the rest of the hot air circulating the engine bay. The linked intake would be strictly for looks IMO since it does nothing for performance except maybe decrease it.

So if you want the looks, equal or less performance, and don't want to spend a lot, go with the eBay intake. If you want the looks, equal or slightly better performance (after ECU retune) go with the JWT. Otherwise, just stick with OEM and spend the money elsewhere.

Just my .02
Old 07-08-2019, 04:22 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

if you are going to go with anything other than oem, you are just making sound.... the only way to get equal IMHO is to get the filter through the radiator support between the radiator and bumper

i did do them on my nissan, but i went with takeda because they seemed to have the best box design

Last edited by travlee; 07-08-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:21 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Get a nice drop in filter/end thread
Old 07-08-2019, 07:25 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Welcome to the forum Cory -

a few thoughts...

1.If it was me I'd go with the JWT based on reputation and quality. JWT has been doing 'Nissan' for decades and their quality and attention to detail will show it. I don't think you'll get this with the ebay variant.

2. It really wont matter without a few other modifications and a tune.

3. Looks like youre new here so take a little time and read what other people have successfully done with this engine - both in an naturally aspirated state and in an force-induction state.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 PM
rcbaughn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, it’s about that Popcharger sound. I don’t race, and speed isn’t a thing at my age (31), I’m just looking for that nice little whistle you get from a Popcharger like I had before.

I was wondering mainly if the cheap intakes make the exact sound, or if the JWT was unique in the wonderful intake sounds it makes on the 350Z.

And i was a member long ago. Sold the car to my dad in 2012, he’s put 7k miles on it, so I have a PPW 2005 350Z with 61k miles on it. It’ll last me a long time now that I’m older and a lot more mature driving. Although I do still like my sounds and really curvy roads. Been driving a buddies 80’s Porsche 911 around Barber’s on Porsche days and man, I love me some twistys.