Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Louder...RT cats or Crawford cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 05:56 AM
wakaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Louder...RT cats or Crawford cats

Running the RT's but was wondering if the Crawford cats were a bit more quiet.

thanks...
Old 03-29-2004, 06:00 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traditionally higher flow = louder.

After seeing the flow chart, the test pipes flowed the best... obviously... the RTs, and then the Crawfords.

Honestly, just adding the cats to a stock exhaust... I didn't feel changed it THAT much.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:39 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Traditionally higher flow = louder.

After seeing the flow chart, the test pipes flowed the best... obviously... the RTs, and then the Crawfords.

Honestly, just adding the cats to a stock exhaust... I didn't feel changed it THAT much.
I think that you mean you don’t feel that it changed the sound. I beg to differ.

Let me tell say . . .I am running stock exhaust with our headers and cats. It is noticeably louder, not raspy at all, just louder. I really realized it again now that I took my JWT off and put the stock air box back on. I am pretty sure that the sound difference is the cats because we did Doug’s new car in stages and the cats were added a couple weeks after the headers. The cats really opened up the sound of the car. I also let JAG drive my car this weekend and he commented that it sounded great and he is used to a 100% stock car.

Now we will see how my exhaust will sound later this week when it gets here. I hope it sounds incredible.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:40 PM
lowrider

Hey Vandy

Why did you remove your POPCharger? What exhaust did you chose? Talked to Doug today, my cats are on the way.

Peace!

Lou
Old 03-29-2004, 03:31 PM
VandyZ

Originally posted by lowrider
Hey Vandy

Why did you remove your POPCharger? What exhaust did you chose? Talked to Doug today, my cats are on the way.

Peace!

Lou
I am doing some testing on intake air temps. I think the popcharger was taking in too much stagnant hot air on launch causing a bog until it gets going. So far my car is running better with the stock box, but it is cooler today. I love the JWT and will be putting it back on but not before I figure out a solution to the hot air. It also needed a good cleaning and I dont want it clouding the sound of the exhaust when i first put it on.

I am keeping the exhaust on the DL for now, but as soon as it is on I will post up.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:17 PM
wakaZ

I also read that guys with the RT's and stock exhaust have very little change in sound.

The Nismo cat-back and RT combo is LOUD imo.

Was just wondering if the Crawfords would be a tad bit softer than the RT's.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 PM
mgl

Originally posted by wakaZ
I also read that guys with the RT's and stock exhaust have very little change in sound.

thats not the case with me. i have the rt cats and the oem exhaust, its definitely louder. same sound but louder and maybe a little lower in tone. i think it sounds grrrrrreat!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:16 AM
JAG

I can vouch for what VandyZ said-- after driving his car, his sounds NOTICABLY different from ours. Notice I say different, not worse or anything like that. I like the sound of his, and imo, there is no rasp in it. I think it sounds really nice, and was surprised that it sounded that different still with a stock exhaust.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:08 AM
shinz

when i had the rt cats installed on the stock exhaust, the sound changed very noticably at about 3k+ rpm.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Mr. Motion

Same here - stock exhausts with the R/Ts. Much louder sound at full throttle. Combined with the PopCharger - really sweet! As someone in this thread noted, however, the R/Ts look like test pipes with a bulge. Anyone know whether the small amount of catalyst inside will cease to function after a few years and result in a lot of CELs? I noticed that R/T only warrants the emissions output for two years.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:56 AM
wakaZ

Originally posted by Mr. Motion
Same here - stock exhausts with the R/Ts. Much louder sound at full throttle. Combined with the PopCharger - really sweet! As someone in this thread noted, however, the R/Ts look like test pipes with a bulge. Anyone know whether the small amount of catalyst inside will cease to function after a few years and result in a lot of CELs? I noticed that R/T only warrants the emissions output for two years.
How about the Crawfords?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 AM
EL Diablo

I have the NISMO CAI/exhaust and RT combo,

IT'S LOUD
Old 04-01-2004, 02:13 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by Mr. Motion
Anyone know whether the small amount of catalyst inside will cease to function after a few years and result in a lot of CELs? I noticed that R/T only warrants the emissions output for two years.

Wow, interesting. I'd be very interested to hear more on this info. I'd be a bit hesitant to purchase cats that I'd have to replace in 2 years.

As far as the Crawford cat's longevity, we could probably find out if we knew manufacturer of the core of the unit. Doesn't Crawford just buy the cat core from a big name cat maker and then do a 350Z specific pipe fitment around it? Perhaps this is how most companies do it?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:23 PM
devildoc

I so wanna get those RT cats. I'm just a little hesitant because it sounds like some people are having fitting issues. Overall, it comes down to this...

JWT+Nismo Exhaust+RT Cats=

Ian
Old 04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Enron Exec

How much more do RT cats weight over test pipes?

Quick Reply: Louder...RT cats or Crawford cats