Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 06:04 AM
UsafaRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by all_bark
how about a real modified injen cai into a hybrid injen/pop charger full cai....

this of course is when i put it in and the whole thing was disasembled.
all_bark, I have to wonder if you could get more performance from your setup than presently. Putting the filter perpendicular to a moving airstream has got to be hurting performance to some degree. At high car speed, low engine RPM, and small throttle opening, I would guess that the air pressure in and around the filter is a low and not generating the same intake velocity as normal. It may hurt throttle response and some HP at speed.

Of course, this is a guess, I major in comp sci and not aero, but I've taken a lot of aero just because of the school I attend...
Old 05-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Infern0

Damn good idea.....glad you had the ***** to try it out...

Also glad that I wasn't the only person with AEM who thought that the car just didn't seem healthy. The AEM was an improvement however slight, but it just didn't seem happy, and I couldn't decide between JWT Pop or the AEM. In about a week I was about to just order a JWT and call the AEM a loss, but I am fully confident that this will do exactly what you say. Great work man, can't wait to do it.

This will also get rid of the knot I get in my stomach everytime I drive while it's wet out....I always thought my engine would turn the intake into a straw if I had to drive through a puddle. : /
Old 05-02-2004, 02:35 PM
all_bark

I figure that when i am driving that whole area in the grill fills up with air. if that is the case the pop charger is sucking in that air and as I found out earlier today when i did a test run with my digimoto software (check other thread) my air intake temp was surprisingly lower than other Z's even though it was hotter outside where I ran the test!

I also put in numbers about cubic air intake amounts but my numbers are the first to be posted. If it comes back that everyone else gets MORE AIR in than me, well then I'll reconsider, but once again, my air intake temp. was alot lower than others when the outside airtemp. here was hotter!

check out the thread.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:19 PM
DriftinZ

I installed my AEM last weekend. Not happy with the way the car feels. Feels bogish. I raced it this weekend and the intake didnt help at all. I ran 13.7@101 bone stock, best i could get was 13.9@100 this weekend. I even ran against 03RedlineZ, damn what a good race. He has the Injen and Stillen exhaust, i had the better reaction time but by mid track he walked right by me. I still won though hehe, he broke out of his dial in time. But I'm gonan order the Injen tomorrow. Much better set up then the AEM. So i have an AEM for sale.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by DriftinZ
I installed my AEM last weekend. Not happy with the way the car feels. Feels bogish. I raced it this weekend and the intake didnt help at all. I ran 13.7@101 bone stock, best i could get was 13.9@100 this weekend. I even ran against 03RedlineZ, damn what a good race. He has the Injen and Stillen exhaust, i had the better reaction time but by mid track he walked right by me. I still won though hehe, he broke out of his dial in time. But I'm gonan order the Injen tomorrow. Much better set up then the AEM. So i have an AEM for sale.
Last year there was a kid with a 350z at the track I talked to a few times.. Stock he was pulling consistant 14.0-14.1's.. I seen him up there a few weeks later and spoke with him, he said he has been to the track 2 times since he installed his AEM and hasn't been able to break a 14.2.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:09 PM
bigern1970

Default AEM

Does the aem cai get a cold rush of air? isnt it in the wheel well. where are the grime and grit are?
Old 05-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Default Re: AEM

Originally posted by bigern1970
Does the aem cai get a cold rush of air? isnt it in the wheel well. where are the grime and grit are?
Its really in an area that has very little air flow.. Also it gets VERY grimey quickly since it gets wet easily where it is and sucks up dust and sand that gets kicked up by the tires.

The filter in those pictures only had 4k miles on it and it looked like it was drinking mud for 20k.. I have already washed it with the cleaning kit but it was nasty when it was pulled out.

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 05-02-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:32 AM
shanedog

Default get this

Just get this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...476786049&rd=1

and a K&N conical air filter with a 3" inlet. It will cost a total of $54 to your door and is essentially the exact same as the pop charger or any other short ram intake. Plus, with this one I bought a 9" long K&N instead of the shorter conical filters because they do flow more CFM's. IMO this is the best $50 you can put into your vehicle and it will perform as well as any $200 intake out there. I love mine
Old 05-03-2004, 07:32 AM
spdu4ia

just did this mod and I can definetly hear a difference... as far as feel it... butt dyno cant tell... but i can tell in the throttle response the air is deffinetly not muffled!....

thanx for the great write up!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:35 AM
MASTERPLAU

installed my jwt popcharger, what a difference... im gonna try this mod with my old AEM intake parts... i just like the chrome in the engine bay over the black plastic...