Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Y Pipe to Single or True Dual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your probably right z1....i bet a race header with no cat would make the most difference on a stock car and no other mods...from there the exhausts are probably about the same in performance

but, it would be interesting to see the results of a dual vs a single exhaust on a dyno of the top exhaust manufacturers....any volunteers?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
i respectfully disagree that a single is better, because the y pipe has to merge two exhaust streams which can interfere with the velocity of the exhaust gas, creating an impedence at the merge. a true dual will flow better bc it does not merge 2 pipes into 1
I do agree with you on this to a certain extent, but as long as the single pipe maintains the same overall cross-sectional area as the two inlet pipes, altough there will be a certain amount of turbulence at the junction, exhaust gas velocity will not suffer too much.

There are still the factors of drag, along the entire exhaust length, and heat dissapation. The heat dissaption issue can probably be addressed with a good thermal wrap, but the drag issue is still there and is a significant one.

Really....properly designed systems, single or dual, will both perform well and gains will all be within a few hp variation at most
Old 08-22-2004, 10:36 AM
NOBI

Originally posted by zxsaint
But i'm certain it's helped my top end hp past 5k.

i am too. lol
Old 08-22-2004, 02:17 PM
JBrady

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
i respectfully disagree that a single is better, because the y pipe has to merge two exhaust streams which can interfere with the velocity of the exhaust gas, creating an impedence at the merge. a true dual will flow better bc it does not merge 2 pipes into 1
Powertrip...

This is one of those things that can go either way. The design and execution of the part(s) make all the difference. When the optimal pipe sizes and merge collector shapes are used (header as well as Y or X pipe(s))... the merge can actually accelerate the flow and scavenge the non-charged side.

This is what is going on with headers. Way back when, someone found out that joining all the cylinder ports in a collector made more torque/power than separate primary pipes.

Most people tend to talk about peak power numbers. I argue that mid range power and transitional response are most important considerations for a street engine. If a part made NO increase in peak or even LOST some peak power but added substantially to mid range power/response the vehicle would perform better and feel great.

And of course all theories like these are good starting places but parts need to be built and PROPERLY tested... far too often testing blames or awards the wrong thing or fails to uncover changes due to offsetting changes.