Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

removal of exhaust pre-silencer??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 07:54 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by N74DV
great..... yet another tree hugger
Tree hugger? I would just like to step outside my front door and not breathe in any more pollutants than necessary to sustain our lives. You live in Mesa, Arizona, the so-called valley of the sun, sure when you can see the sun through the smog in the valley. I lived in Prescott in the early 60's and the air was mostly free of the worst pollutants. Coming into Phoenix on SW Air today looks just like L.A. and stinks like it too. Our country provides the most pollutants in the world and you want to help it get worse by removing the catalytic convertors on your cars. I've got a flash for Indiana, smog controls apply to you too and you will be subject to fines and replacement of the cats as well.

I can't believe you take the environment so lighly. Don't you read about the level of pollutants we have to contend with in the U.S. and the rest of the world? How about the rise in lung cancer? Its not just smoking cigarettes that you get it from, why increase your chances of dying young?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:15 AM
N74DV

Easy.... easy.... not directing anything personal to you but I have opinions as well.....

speaking of smog in AZ. did you know that the two fires we had here this summer poured more smoke and pollutants into the air in 2 weeks than the city of Phoenix cars would in a year?!

We can thank the enviromentalists for that one... our forests needed thinning bad.... nope! the green whackos made it damn near impossible to cut down anything...

I'm so sick of all this save the whale sh*t........

If you want clean air... move to Montana or the south pole

We'll all be gone within 10 years anyhow if you ask me.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:51 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by N74DV
Easy.... easy.... not directing anything personal to you but I have opinions as well.....

speaking of smog in AZ. did you know that the two fires we had here this summer poured more smoke and pollutants into the air in 2 weeks than the city of Phoenix cars would in a year?!

We can thank the enviromentalists for that one... our forests needed thinning bad.... nope! the green whackos made it damn near impossible to cut down anything...

I'm so sick of all this save the whale sh*t........

If you want clean air... move to Montana or the south pole

We'll all be gone within 10 years anyhow if you ask me.
I agree with you on the fire issue, which does not make me a tree-hugger. I thought it was idiotic to not allow the Forest service thin the underbrush away, a lot of homes were burned to the ground for that act of stupidity, but I still maintain there is no need to kill ourselves prematurely by inhaling exhaust particulates unnecessarily.

I do think we will be around in 10 yrs and our next cars will have fuel cells and run on hydrogen whose byproduct is mostly water vapor and other non-pollutants.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:39 AM
N74DV

fuel cell technology would be sweet! I'm all for that! problem is the oil companies have a major issue with that....

Normally I'm all for smaller gov't and more freedom to corporate america... but in this case I'd like to see some gov't mandate to push fuel cell technology.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:27 AM
koryo

>Yeah, or snowmobiles. The pollution level in our Nat'l Parks
>is in the toilet because of all the non-smog free snowmobiles.

>Rangers in the park are wearing respirators to be able to
> breathe.

>Yellowstone has worse pollution than L.A. in winter because
>of the snowmobiles.

please, your facts are hyped and inaccurate. also, this is not a appropriate forum to argue this.

koryo
Old 11-22-2002, 11:05 AM
^Tyr

ya or you guys could pick up a scientific magazine sometime and read all the articles thier publishing about thier major oops... being the greenhouse deal they freaked out when they saw rises of certain chemicals in the ozone and such,, but now thier realizing its just part of a natural cycle of the earth to warm and then to cool.. the fact that we'r still warming up from the iceage got passed by, because many thought that a period of time like that would be long enough.. oh wait but the earth like 3 bazilion years old so maybe it does take this long...

i realize there arnt any facts in the above because i dont know the exact chemicals etc. and dont feel like arguing over something i dont know. but please read into the subject as you'll see that most of the deal w/ the new rise in pollutants are actually something natural.. granted we'r not helping or anything, but we're really not causing that huge of a problem
if your worried about it. wear a mask like micheal jackson or something
g'day
Old 11-22-2002, 11:14 AM
N74DV

bravo...... humans can't destroy the earth..... try as they may
Old 11-22-2002, 12:04 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by koryo
>Yeah, or snowmobiles. The pollution level in our Nat'l Parks
>is in the toilet because of all the non-smog free snowmobiles.

>Rangers in the park are wearing respirators to be able to
> breathe.

>Yellowstone has worse pollution than L.A. in winter because
>of the snowmobiles.

please, your facts are hyped and inaccurate. also, this is not a appropriate forum to argue this.

koryo
Really, hyped and inaccurate. I read this a short time ago on MSNBC. They are a very conservative news organization and aren't given to alarmist stories. This was reported as a straight news item. They described the blue haze hanging over Yellowstone as a result of snowmobiles' exhaust fumes and this story also mentioned the respirators rangers had been using to aid their breathing. What, do you own stock in a snowmobile company?

Also, this thread was talking about exhaust and participants were discussing getting rid of the catalytic convertors to gain power in their cars. Several posters on the thread objected to what is an illegal act. I used the pollution at Yellowstone as an example of the consequences of uncontrolled emissions by vehicles using internal combustion engines.

Are you a moderator on this site? If you are not, I suggest you report my remarks to one of them before you declare this is not an appropriate forum for this discussion. If a moderator deems my comments to be inappropriate in this forum, I will cease and desist my remarks in this thread. Until then, your admonitions have no standing in this forum.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-22-2002 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:00 PM
koryo

ugg i knew this would happen...

i live very close to the park and i have first hand knowledge of the situation. the Yellowstone/snowmobile debate is a very heated topic around here. Yellowstone is known throughout the world so problems here makes for a nice juicy news item. it doesn't matter who reports on the situation, for or against, both sides always spin the facts.

> I used the pollution at Yellowstone as an example of the
> consequences of uncontrolled emissions by vehicles using
> internal combustion engines.

the consequences you site are nonexistent. the current population of elk, bison, and wolves is larger and more healthy than it ever has been.

snowmobiles are an extremely small internal combustion demographic and therefore is a poor example to use as a pollution example. also snowmobiles are two stroke and don't relate to a modern fuel injected Z in any way.

last time i checked, this was a forum pertaining to the Z and not the fair usage of national parks in the winter time.

i don't really relish the effects of cat removal but surely there are better battles to fight.

admonition-ly yours,
koryo
Old 11-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Boomer

Default cat

Removing or tampering with a device like a catalytic convertor is illegal and perpetrators should be prosecuted to the full limits of the law prohibiting such acts. This thread should be removed from this website to avoid any possible legal liability by allowing it to exist herein.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:37 PM
^Tyr

now i've heard it all... LOL boomer c'mon
you know a week ago you were in your garage hammering a piece of metal thru your cat to gut it

seriously you guys, what are you doing buying a sports car that you want to modify and make more powerful if your afaid of what .00002 mroe cm^3 of some gas will do to the atmosphere.

if you really want to start a witch hunt. go for the people driving cars running on 3 cyclinders, and with bad piston rings and semi trucks

get over it
Old 11-22-2002, 04:39 PM
roberto350z

san bernadino area exceeds healthy levels of ozone in beathable atmosphere 85 days a year. Ozone is toxic to humans and causes all sorts of respirartory ailments. WTF kinda trees are you talking about? Humans in the area are gonna have problems.

While SB is an extreme case in Southern CA, there are places around the country that are starting to see the same problem. One way to contribute to human catastrophe is to f*** with your cat. Yes you are just one person, so what does it matter? Principles dood....do you have any?

rant by a formal environmental chemist and now chemistry teacher...
Old 11-22-2002, 04:42 PM
2003z

Originally posted by Boomer
I do think we will be around in 10 yrs and our next cars will have fuel cells and run on hydrogen whose byproduct is mostly water vapor and other non-pollutants.
We might be around, but I highly doubt the United States will be, at least not in the form that we know and love.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:59 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by 2003z
We might be around, but I highly doubt the United States will be, at least not in the form that we know and love.
You may be right, but change is always present, roll with it. That's what the Z is for.