Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Odd problems, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Xeku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd problems, any ideas?

Hello all,

New to the board - (mostly) happy owner of a 2003 Lemans Sunset Performance coupe, 6-speed.
I purchased it used, in June of last year...previous owner was one of the dealer's sales reps (he traded in for a G35).
The dealer experience has been very positive overall (knock on wood) - Elk Grove Nissan (California).

16K miles when purchased, 24 now.

After reading through the tech/problems related topics, its both reassuring and disturbing that the problems I have experienced are very common, even amongst new car owners (odd transmission sounds, general cabin noise, etc.). I, like many others, have had the transmission and clutch replaced, yet still experience odd noises...in fact, some seemed to have been made worse, though the car drives noticeably smoother.

Anyhow, a couple of issues:

There is an annoying whistling sound at 70mph - sounds like it is coming from the intake, and is seems to be related to the throttle....the sound changes depending on how much pressure I apply to the gas pedal. Definitely not tire noise - I am all too familiar with this sound, having driven many cars with performance tires.

The car does have a Nismo intake installed, perhaps this has something to do with, but is otherwise stock.
However, it's not the "good" whooshing sound associated with intakes....that sound is still present, but distinctively separate.
Wish I could explain the sound....hard to describe.
Strangely, it's less noticeable with the window open, but with all the wind noise...

It does not seem to affect the car in any way - drives and responds just fine......just that annoying sound.
Fuel consumption does not seem to have been affected either - I still average over 20MPG, even with an average speed of 40mph.

The most recent is an annoying cabin rattle I can't sort out:
It has surfaced seemingly out of nowhere, happens anytime the car is in motion, and is consistent regardless of speed. No negative feedback through the wheel or floorboard...just the noise. Seems to be coming from the dash - not sure where.
As with the previous issue, the car drives just fine, and there are no outward signs of trouble - tires, body etc.
Sound disappears when driving over very smooth pavement, which unfortunately, I rarely get to experience (very sparse out my way - San Jose, CA).
Probably just some loose bit of plastic, but I for the life of me can't locate it.

Are there any known problem areas? Anything I ought to look for (didn't see any threads that covered these topics directly).

I honestly don't care too much about the occasional squeak and rattle. It's a sports car, so I wasn't expecting Lexus/Acura ride quality or comfort.
I've owned several rust buckets and my previous car was a Ford ZX2 (hey, it was a nice little car..heh), so I'm very tolerant about these sort of things, but these ones irk me a bit...

I plan on taking it back to the dealer at some point, but figured I may as well check here first.

Many thanks...apologize for the long read.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As for the "whistle" sound that sounds normal. You might want to check and make sure that all of the clamps thay hold the intake are secured in place to make sure there are no leaks. Some CAI do make some sort of sould at times. As for the dash squeeks that is a little tough. The only advice I can think of would be to have someone drive with you and try to pinpoint the area. If you can try to pinpoint and can not fix you can take it to you dealer and let them know you found the spot and have them give you an estimate. Another idea would be to take it to an autobody shop or even a car audio place and have them figure it out. It all depends on how much you want it gone. The only reason I say autobody shop is that they might be able to do it at a reduced cost. I would just say to them "I'll give you 50 bucks cash to make the squeek go away"
Old 03-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Xeku

Thanks for the advice.
I'll check the intake, make sure it's secure.

Heh, someone I know said the same thing about the dash rattle (only they suggested $100)..

Might have found where the sound is coming from - the center cubby. If I open the lid, and apply pressure to the base, the sound goes away...the question now is how to solve it I suppose.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:32 AM
afy4u

Default Whistling sound

I own a 2004 350z and installed an Injen CAI on it. Your whistling could possibly be an air leak in one of your connections. I had this happen on a Mustang I had, and tightening the bands corrected the problem. Good Luck
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM
sisco534

Smile

Ok , these are all in previous threads but here you go. The compartment above the head ehre the sunglasses go rattles in my car until I stuck a sock in it, sounds stupid but works if you put your shades in there they will rattle bad. The dash board is known to have a rattle is some cars of course mine was some so I went to Lowe's and bought furniture leg pads for hardwood floors(to keep from stratching floor) mine rattled by the front driverside door close to the fasteners no no rattle. RATTLES DRIVE ME CRAZY. Good luck