Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

air conditioning TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:46 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air conditioning TSB

Anyone have that air condition TSB that makes the engine growl when the A/C is on?

Has anyone taken it to the dealer for the TSB fix?

Did it fix the problem?

Is it under warrenty?

My warrenty ends this Sept. so I need to get all these issues fixed
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 AM
bosotheclown2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you are looking for is NTB02-097b dated 11/4/2002.

You can get a copy from here:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/350Z/2003/5.htm

article code "02097"
Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you describe the problem? I think I might be getting the beginnings of this and would like to know if the TSB fix works.

I took a look at it and it's very involved—replacing the entire compressor, etc.

I'll probably live with it since I really only notice it idling at low fan speeds and I don't have much faith in my local dealership, but please keep us up-to-date with your progress.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:21 PM
ZlleH

Thanks for the info, bosotheclown2002.

I printed up the TSB from another site and brought it in today. One of the service guy went with me for a ride.

I first gave him a listen to what the car sounded like going from gear 1 - 2 and 2 - 3. Then I slowed the car down and put it to gear 1. then I turned on the A/C. and shifted from 1 - 2 and 2 - 3. He noticed the growl right away and agreed with me that it is definately not the way it should be.

He then orded a list of parts and man were they many... I'm kinda scared... I don't trust the dealership as well. I don't think the service guys have a lot of experiences with 350Z in my city.

But what can I do? my warrenty expires 2005, sept. so I need to get all the TSB fixed.

Also, I believe this TSB effects only cars built before a certain date... I believe it was 2002 octeber or something.

Wish me luck, and I will inform you guys how it went.

Oh, yeah, I also installed a popcharger today. I'm thinking i'll have to put the stock air box back when they get the tsb kit order in since I doubt they will know what the hell happened in the engine bay

I'm sure they read instruction to a tee and won't know what to do about the popcharger to get to the A/C compresser.

Gawd... I hate this!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 AM
GATORZ

I had this done about 2 months ago. I DO NOT trust my dealer either. They have yet to fix something on the first try. This was no different. When I picked the car up after the fix I turned on the AC to see if the noise was gone. It was and since it was a cloudy cool day I just turned it off and thought all was well. The first hot day about a week later I turn on the AC and it was as hot as the heater. Dumb $%^ never put the gas back in it. It is stated on the TSB in red letters about this being the last thing to do and how to do it. That is how it always goes for me at the dealer. It does take a lot of parts for this TSB. Sounds better and all is well.

Dan
Old 07-14-2005, 07:31 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I first gave him a listen to what the car sounded like going from gear 1 - 2 and 2 - 3. Then I slowed the car down and put it to gear 1. then I turned on the A/C. and shifted from 1 - 2 and 2 - 3. He noticed the growl right away and agreed with me that it is definately not the way it should be.
Maybe I don't have it then b/c I never experience it at speed, only when idling. Mine actually sounds like when I had the AAM plenum spacer...I couldn't get the clearances dialed in to stop the engine contacting the STB which gives a muted vibration type sound. it would worsen with the A/C on.

The difference being that happened when accelerating not at idle like the noise I'm hearing now...and of course this now only happens with the A/C on.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 AM
ZlleH

Update:

While I was showing my co-worker at work the pop-charger I installed, we decided to find out where the A/C compressor was and where the A/C belt was.

We notice the belt was off-center on one of the wheels. then we notice that belt was frayed. It was frayed on the inner part of the belt pointing to the engine. Also, One metal braket had a visible shine in one area while the other area was dusty. A sure sign that the belt was off-center and rubbibg on that area of the metal braket. Hence why it looked cleaned and polish. Hence why the belt was frayed. it was rubbing on that metal braket.

I'll make sure to mention this to them and show it to them so they can replace that belt if it is not part of the TSB kit list that they had to order.

GATORZ, do you remember them putting in a new belt?

350Zenophile, check your A/C belt/pully and see if there is any sign of fraying and rubbing.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:01 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by ZlleH
350Zenophile, check your A/C belt/pully and see if there is any sign of fraying and rubbing.
Will do, thanks bud.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:12 AM
GATORZ

No new belt that I'm aware of. My dealership wouldn't go beyond the parts on the TSB and the belt is not listed. That would be going the extra mile for the customer.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:19 AM
ZlleH

Thanks for the heads up, I took the day off so I just drove to the dealership and made sure they were aware of the frayed A/C belt and they said they will replace it as well.

They will also probably do all the work from the bottom of the car so it won't be such a massive job as I feared it would be.

Oh, they also told me to try not to use the A/C until they get it fix... as if! Dang >_<;

Originally Posted by GATORZ
No new belt that I'm aware of. My dealership wouldn't go beyond the parts on the TSB and the belt is not listed. That would be going the extra mile for the customer.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:15 AM
GATORZ

I'm going to check my belt this weekend to see if it has any fraying. Thanks for the heads up.