Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Taillight + Grounding problem PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 05:59 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taillight + Grounding problem PLEASE HELP

Ok i've got a bit of a problem, i'm installing my aftermarket headunit and i bought a wiring harness. I attache the wiring harning but notice that the ground wire is actually not grounding at all. I'm testing it with a light tester and the ground wire is not closing the circuit. I look at the back of the harness clip and i dont see any wire coming out of it, therefore the grounding where is actually going nowhere, is this how it's supposed to be?

Second problem my taillights aren't working now, I noticed that if i feed power into the dash illumination wire it turns on the taillights but the normal method of turning it on doesn't work anymore?! Even if I take off the harness my taillights aren't working still.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Blue 03 Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably blew the taillight fuse in the IPDM. It is the hidden fuse box by the battery. You have to remove the plastic panels around the battery to get to it, couple of clips no biggie.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:29 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, i checked all the fuses and all the bulbs work too. If i connect the dash illumination wire to a power source it turns on all the lights in the back. There has to be some kind of short/open circuit somewhere that is disrupting the normal circuitry of the lights. I've been at it for several hours and no luck yet..
Old 02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
JonnyRod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeez...doesnt sound good at all. but one trick...you can always ground your headunit with just the antenna. if you cant find a ground, just plug the antenna in to the back of the deck and it should turn on.