Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Please help - Clutch problem !

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:31 PM
crazysets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help - Clutch problem !

Newbie here that needs some help....

At a stop, revved the car in neutral to 2.5k~3k, dumped the clutch and took off. Car did a tiny burnout and launched forward. I immediatley shift into 2nd and next thing you know, the car isn't moving forward as expected and I notice that the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor! I let off the gas while the RPM's are at around 5k, kick the clutch pedal back up with my foot and immediately notice a burning smell (which I suppose is the clutch). The smell follows me on my 10 minute ride home.

That was yesterday. Problem is that the awful burning smell is still there. The car drives and shifts perfectly normal but that smell just lingers. Is this normal and does it go away with time? I've searched the threads with similar problems but there is no answer to the lingering smell. Can any experts chime-in here?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Chineseguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem too once i shift and let goo of the clutch, the clutch doesnt come back up and it took awhile for it to pop back up and my car is about 2-3 weeks new 06 Base PPW
Old 12-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Daytona350Texas

smell goes away within about 2 days, had that happened when i hit a 180 to catch a mustang trying to show off... clutch locked to the floor and it took about 10secs for it to totally release, and felt real stiff for about 10mins. I think it is a mechanism that shows the ecu "thinking its losed control" another safety device that nissan installed, pretty much kinda like the stall device that will not allow break/throttle to be used at same time. The burning smell is the clutch, it cuts power and sticks the clutch to the floor, but its the synchros still running, its harmful but not as bad as it may sound really... have had it taken in because of it, returned with nothing wrong.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:03 PM
TheCajunStyle

no, that's the clutch slipping. your RPMs were too high and your velocity was too low when you quickly released the clutch after shifting into 2nd gear.

it's not good for the clutch, but you'll be fine for a long time!

moral of the story? shift into second gear at a higher velocity (NOT SPEED!) under high RPMs.

hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:00 PM
RobZ 350

what is the difference between velocity and speed?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 AM
xxSandmaNxx

wtf..? lol the difference between velocity and speed is that velocity is a vector measurement (magnitude and direction) and speed is a scalar measurement (magnitude only).

so what... if he's going 30mph at 37 degrees east of due north then he's ok, but otherwise he's effed? what are you talking about??
Old 06-05-2006, 02:46 PM
supershick

yeah, what are u talking about robz? that doesn't make any sense.