Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Throttle Trouble???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 09:39 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Throttle Trouble???

I was on the phone with "dougrace zs" and he ask if I had taken my car in to check the tire "feathering" / "toe in" issue. He said his is going in today or tomorrow and he also ask about a sticking throttle. My first response was, no sticking throttle here. I then ask what are the symptoms. He said that if you are driving it normal (not hard) and shift into second you get a lurge like you popped the clutch. Because the RPM’s don’t drop. This happens often to me I said ("often" used loosely because how often do I drive normal!). I always just thought I was not as good a shifter as I had thought (in the back of my mind this is total bs, I have been shifting since birth, haha). Thinking about it more, when I am driving someone around and I am like "damn where did that come from" being embarrassed I cant drive my own car. Maybe that’s why I drive like I do in this car.

Anyone else have this problem?

Doug thinks it is programmed to this to prevent the release of hydrocarbons on throttle let off. If this is true we will have to wait until we get some new ECU options. Nissan will likely not fix this issue for emission reasons.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:10 AM
dvlad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the more i think about it, that does happen to me. The 2nd gear shift is the one i always jerk a litte! I could never firgure out why too. Hummmmmm....interesting.

dan
Old 01-08-2003, 06:24 PM
MastaKillaZ

Was having the same problem... and quite actually it could be that my shifting is horrendous, but once I put in a drop-in K&N and grounding kit... not as bad. I know my shifting skills didn't dramatically improve overnight so must have been, at least partially due to something else aside from driver error. Either way, the filter and grounding smoothened everything out for me.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:00 PM
ganz

Wow, I was just thinking about this...

It's funny but everyone probably thinks it's their lack of manual skill. But I really think there is something funny with the throttle since, when I press on the clutch at speed, I actually see the needle jump before it goes down. I think that it could either be an ECU issue, or a heavy pulley.

Another member of this board mentioned that he experienced a similar problem on a different car and after changing the pulley it drove significantly better.

My temporary remedy has been to stay on the clutch just a hint longer to let the rpms drop a little. Please keep up updated on what your friend discovers.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:11 PM
mf01

I noticed what you guys are talking about when I was test driving the car last week. I have a 5 speed manual and just thought that my clutch was really different, but a couple of times I remember it kicking a little into second. The salesman probably thought I was bad at stick.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Michael-Dallas

I've noticed this, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Michael.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:20 AM
kohlersc

This is my first performance car and shifting into Second is eating me alive. I am sure some of it (if not all is my own inexperience) but I do get the same lurch if I am not focusing on a very smooth shift into second.