Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car feels like its "braking, or slowing down" when in neutral....

Old 01-17-2003, 11:36 PM
mpol99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Car feels like its "braking, or slowing down" when in neutral....

When I throw the car into neutral I noticed it doesn't just "coast" freely. It feels like its slightly "braking". The parking brake is down all the way, it is very slight, but noticeable.

I checked it with my g tech. When the g reading is 0, I'm standing. It gets positive during acceleration, negative during braking, and stays at 0 when just coasting (since coasting, which slows the car eventually, should not be detectable by the g-tech).

Well, on my car, while coasting, the g-tech was showing NEGATIVE 2-4, meaning that there IS something slowing my car down! Any other car that I have ever done this with (like 3-4 other cars) are always 0 during coasting. wtf?

Any comments? I need this fixed because now that I noticed, it is annoying!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2003, 12:06 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first idea would be tire pressure, but it would have to be far out of wack.

secondly, how old is the car? for the first few miles the axles might just be tight.

if all else fails, you could bring it into the dealer and ask them to be sure the brakes are working properly, tho you might be better off just checking for yourself. see if you can fit a peice of paper between the pad and rotor.

if none of this turns up a solution, have the dealer check alignment, and show them with the Gtech what you are talking about, if they BS you, run the same test on a sentra specV manual. it should show them the reading should be 0.

Im of course assuming aerodynamic drag is not to blame, the Z is above average in this respect.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:47 AM
redlinez

Haven't noticed this on my car but I had a Blazer that did that and it was the anti-lock brakes. The truck was downshifting on the slightest grade and I noticed the front wheels were incredibly hot. I raised it on a jack and could not turn the front wheels with my hands the brakes were dragging that much. They replaced pads and turned rotors which of course did nothing , it locked up in shop when I tried to back it out. The dealership finally decided it was a brake switch under dash. That explanation never made sense to me but it was the fix.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:13 PM
zPilott

Some people have had problems with excessive toe in on their cars, this might cause some slight braking.