Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Exhaust Problem:left tip is hanging low

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 03:57 PM
04silverzcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust Problem:left tip is hanging low

walked out from a restaurant to mhy car and noticed the left exhaust tip is hanging low. so i drive home and look at it again and it is hanging about 2-3 in low. it is actually touching the bottom of the rear bumper and melting the plastic. the whole pipe seems to have alot of give in it when i push up on it. all the way back, or forward i guess, to the engine. dont have a jack here so im going to jack it up at work tomorow and take a better look.
anyone have any similar problems or any ideas on what it could be?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 987 Likes on 749 Posts

its probably the rubber piece that it hangs on. The stock muffler has one hanger on the left side. It consist of a rubber piece with two hole in it, one for the muffler to go into and one for the bracket that is bolted to the car. Chances are that rubber piece gave out.

Youll want to replace it if its broke. But in the meantime you can use some wire/ghetto rigging to hold it up until the pieces arrives.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very unusual. The bands that hold the exhaust mounts in place last the lifetime of the car. Keep us informed.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 AM
04silverzcoupe

ill letyall know after this afternoon
hopefully its somethign simple as im broke right now.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM
04silverzcoupe

put the car up ona hyd lift today.
only took about five minutes to find the problem, probably not even. well at least half the problem.
the exhaust is hanging down bc the rubber grommet or whatever that comes off the tip and holds it up came off the metal tube. so after putting it back on we lowered the car. but before we lowered it we noticed that the exhaust was still uneven on the left side. after we got it on the ground the left tip sticks out about 2-3 in past the bumper where as the rt side is flush.
only thing i can think of is the dealer f'ed up after doing the fuel line recall.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 AM
04silverzcoupe

took the car in to the dealer on wed and am not impressed. first off they werent going to give me a loaner/rental car to have while they had my car. i tried explaining to themthat i cant get a ride from anyone at work as we are very busy and asked if they had a shuttle and they said no. then one of my supervisors jumped on the phone and started kidna chewiing on the service managers a$$. so in my car i hop and drive up there preparing myuself to sit in the waiting room all day. right away they stick it on a lift and the manager and me are looking at it and both confused. cant tell where the problem is. so down it comes, i get my stuff out and we go inside to wait for enterprise to come get me. glad for that second call now.
later wed, around 4, i call and say hey im heading home i got out early is my car going to be ready today. they tell me no so i drive the rental home. keep in mind that the car was dropped off at 0830 and they open at 0800 and close at 1700. the next day they call at like 0815 and say its ready. i ask what was done and they sya nothing, they jsut pushed on the muffler and bent it til it no longer rubbed. kinda mad but he said if it messes up again theyll get me a new one. so i get my car around lunch time and by the time i get home that night at like 7 the muffler is already rubbing again. so i call fri and now theyre ordering a new one.
does anyone else think its bs that they had my car for over a day, werent going to give me a rental (i live 45 min from dealer and 30 from work), and did nothing to my car. i asked if they at least tried to reinstall the muffler and they said no bc it looks like its installed right. i know at my job if something looks installed right but isnt working we always take it off and try again. i guess they dont there. keep in mind that my bumper is melting from the muffler rub also. if you get up under the tips theres a little plastic tab behind each one. the left one is completely gone and its going into the bumper now.
also how do i go about getting my tranny replaced. when i shift to second it clunks and feels very "metallic" i guess is the way to describe it. also frequently when i start my car theres a wierd "rocks in a washer machine" sound that comes until i release teh clutch
Old 04-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 987 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by 04silverzcoupe
put the car up ona hyd lift today.
only took about five minutes to find the problem, probably not even. well at least half the problem.
the exhaust is hanging down bc the rubber grommet or whatever that comes off the tip and holds it up came off the metal tube. so after putting it back on we lowered the car. but before we lowered it we noticed that the exhaust was still uneven on the left side. after we got it on the ground the left tip sticks out about 2-3 in past the bumper where as the rt side is flush.
only thing i can think of is the dealer f'ed up after doing the fuel line recall.

they probably reinstalled the exhaust wrong.

The right side of the muffler has two of the rubber pieces and the left has one. The second one one the right side bolts into a brace, the grommet piece is on the rear side of the brace. My guess is the tech put the grommet on the forward side of the brace, which caused the misalignment and the left tip to poke out. Seems feasible, tho ive never tried.

GL, told ya it was the hangar rubber.