Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Seat removal and airbag functionality question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 03:00 PM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seat removal and airbag functionality question...

I don't feel that I'm getting enough thigh support from the stock seats, and I've been tossing around the idea of replacing them with some sparco's, recaro's, or OMP aftermarket seats. I have the side airbag option however.

My question is this:
If I remove the seats, will the airbag system still function properly? Is the system a loop that needs constant feedback from the connector? Obviously I would get a warning light immediately upon startup. I could clear it out using the off/on ignition procedure, but would it just come on every time I start the car? I'm assuming it would because the car would check for it each time. The ECU would NOT log that I cleared the warning light because of the reading it saw, when it saw the same reading again, correct? I'm assuming I would need some sort of resistor to fool the system into thinking the seat was still there. That leads to my next question...would the other airbags function properly if the seat was removed. In other words, would the curtain and fronts work in the event of an impact? Thanks to anyone that can help! I did a search on the topic, but there were never any definitive answers.

Last edited by J Ritt; 02-12-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:15 PM
jackwhale

I did not like the lack of thigh/leg support provided by the stock cloth seats. I took the car to an auto upholstery shop and they added additional side support to the bottom of the seat. It could still use more but he added the maxumum without having to alter the seat cover. Seats still look stock but do provide more support.
I have wondered about installing a race seat for autocross and track but have not looked into the mounting adaptation that would be necessary. I assume that something could easily be fabricated.
My car did not come with side impact protection, so I don't have that to think about. If you are wondering what would happen to your supplemental air bag dash indicators, couldn't you just unplug the connection under the seat without removing the seat...and see what happens.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:23 AM
disturbed2483

well if you get the harnesses that plug into the airbag sensor it will close the loop, that way all of the other airbags on the side are still functional.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jeff,

I have the nismo side airbag resistors if you want them. It never did me any good since my other air bags are all removed as well. PM me!

I also have more info on other things

EDITED:

DIdn't realize how old this post was