Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Worst Oil Consumption yet

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:25 AM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got a call today from NNA and called them back.. phone tag.

Then I get a call from a guy at the dealership. He tells me to drive it another 700 miles so they can measure the exact consumption in mL. He then proceeds to ask me if I drive the car hard, I told him I drive the car within it's capabilities. He said that NNA is aware of consumption issues with some Zs but it's only on the M/T cars and that makes them think that it's an external component burning the oil (something about the intake and PVC or PCV.. I was pissed and wasn't writing my notes that clearly) and only happens when the car is driven hard.

I asked him how that made any friggin sense because the car is restricted per Nissan's specifications. Also, I haven't heard of intake oil-burning problems since an old 88 I-mark that I used to own that was carbeurated.

But then he tells me they may want him to swap the motor and ship it back to Japan for research. He also nixxed the idea of having another shop do the work.

These guys are killing me. I'm still going to pursue cash settlement from NNA directly. I'd rather deal with guys that aren't blowing smoke up my ***... ie Forged.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:07 PM
DriftMyRide

They told me the same thing. They pulled my motor and shipped it off to japan to "study it." I think they are probably studying a lot of motors over there.

Im on my second longblock, and this motor is doing the exact same thing as the last . Im already a couple quarts low with only 2,300 miles on the motor and 6,200 on the chassis.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
creationv2

dont flame me on this question because idk much about it and it just crossed my mind....can this issue make the car a lemon?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 AM
98Ekhatch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude Check This Out There Is A Problem W Some 06 I Just Got My Engine Replaced Ok...i Didnt Have Any Prob What So Ever W Dealership.....that Is Bs What They Are Doing To U....call Nissan And Complain....i Did The Oil Consumption Of 700 Miles Came Back And My Oil Level Was On The L On The Dip Stick..they New That There Was A Problem With The Car...i Left It That Day...they Said They Would Have To Get The Motor From Japan It Would Take A Month Just To Get...i Was Cool About Literly The Engine Came In And They Had It In My Less Than Two Weeks I Was So Surprised...great Service The Only Put A Little Scratch On The Car But They Buffed It Ou.....anyways Befor They Pulled The Motor They Did A Compression Test 3 Cylinders Were Way Off So They New There Was Aprob...then They Pulled They Heads 2 Cylenders The Rings Didnt Seat Rightthe Cylenders Were Way Scared....so I Think That The Rings Are Faulty...so Man Dont Let Them Screw U Ok....dude I Wish I Could Talk To Them Guys For...i Let My Dealership Know That There Was Other People With 06 With The Same Prob Also....the New Eng I Got So Far Is Running Good .......keep Us Updated Ok.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:46 PM
bofa

I finally got a hold of a rep at NNA today and she pretty much sided with the local guy- to drive it another 700 miles and bring it back it... so I'll be inconvenienced again.. whatever as long as the car runs right. I'm trying to be cool about it.. but it's been a little tough.

I'm not going through this three engine BS though.. that's nuts.

Yes, I believe this can qualify under lemon law but I'd rather just get it fixed since I have $$ in the car already.

I'm considering getting an attorney and letting them do the dirty work. I'd still prefer a cash settlement so I can take care of it on my own and not worry about dealing with them on this again.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Brocken

This is the exact reason why I don't want them to replace the engine on my Z. I'm not screwing around with the car anymore.
Nissan has the worst customer service and will not/cannot get anything resolved.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
DriftMyRide

man i thought my consumption was bad. It seems like all of us 06 350z owners could get a settlement, if we all stuck it directly to nissan at the same time.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:59 PM
tonio

Originally Posted by bofa
This is by far the worst out of all consumption issues I've read on this forum (unless I missed one ). I started the consuption test about a month and a half ago and today the pressure started reading low, the light came on when stopping, the engine started pinging (same **** as before)... so I called Nissan and tell them I need to drop it off today for them to check it out.

I get a call and am told that the car is consuming oil but that Nissan told them to change the oil and to have me call them to work it out.. whatever.

So I go pick it up and ask them to document the consumption... 4 QUARTS IN 1500 MILES!!! The car is a 2006 with about 3600 miles...

So they changed the oil, I called Nissan and filed my issue. I'll let you guys know what I hear...

One more thought...Is my only recourse to let them replace the engine? I want to keep the car but was thinking maybe I can just get the $$ and have the engine built. At least I'd know it was done right.
Actually I had you beat.. 2 weeks after an oil change I got the low oil pressure light, 5 quarts before 1000 miles. Be careful because my engine actually ended up blowing on the interstate and they had to tow mine to a dealership.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM
bofa

Alright, well, here's the latest... I was talking with the Service Director today about my wife's Xterra and he remembered that I have the oil burning issue with the Z. He said he spoke to a tech at Nissan that said they think they know what the issue is (same story as last time, but a little more detail).

They claim the oil consumption issue is only with 6MTs and is caused by downshifting. The theory is that when we downshift the PVC valve sucks oil up and the engine burns it. They are "researching" my car and this other guy that's local and having the same issue. They said they're evaluating how to fix it and that a possible solution is to add another valve to prevent the oil from being sucked in. He claims this is why others are getting the engine replaced multiple times and having the same issue.

I don't know how true or bogus this is.. anyone with knowledge on this know what he's talking about? Does it make any sense or is it just more smoke up my ***?

Any 5AT people with oil consumption issues?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 PM
arejohn

PVC problems don't cause compresson test failures. Is there more than one 350 pvc systmem- by years, by trany, buy HP... i suspect not but I don't know. How about G35 and Altimas? This sounds like the non existent tire problems so many had for years.

I wonder if the EPA regulators check for oil bypass during down shifts. Calif and New England kinda fussy about oil burning.

If it's PVC oil watch for nissan to release a computer upgrade- make that change- to hold the throttle open a little more during high manifold vacuum to reduce pvc flow or require heavier oil or maybe require Nissan (ie bridgestone) oil.

Remember the squeeky wheel gets the oil and Nissan did not address the tire issue until consumers united through forums like this and pounded the crap out of dealers and NNA.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:34 AM
cowzrul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bofa
They claim the oil consumption issue is only with 6MTs and is caused by downshifting.
6MT here with less then 700 miles on the clock. Just checked and dip stick low from when I checked it at 200 miles. I may have mildly down shifted a few times but not regularly. Before I bought my Z, I specifically told the owner of the dealership that I knew some 350Zs had oil consumption issues. He stated they had not had any come in with that problem but would make it right if it happened. I will be his worst nightmare if they don't hook me up.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:29 AM
bofa

I've been pretty tame so far... but my patience is running thin.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 AM
350Z_LMS

I'm having oil consumption issues too, here with my Italian 05 6MT 35th anniv Z (35600km on the clock). I'm not too sure about your "quarts" (I imagine it's a 1/4 of a gallon), but I'm getting roughly half of the amount between H and L (BTW how much is that in litres/gallons?) for approx 1000km. Anyone succeded in having their engine changed by Nissan in the US? I'm seriously considering legal action
Old 11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
zxpwr

wow.. too much trouble with your dealer.. i have an 03 with 60K and 40 miles past the warranty my dealer built the case for me with NNA, they called them and everything.. and on monday.. i'm getting a new short block.. i i had to do was take it in 1K mile before 60K to have an open RO

i dont know why your dealer is giving you a hard time.. they are not the one who pays for the repair.. NNA does.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:32 AM
GFrnk69

Shoulda got an 05

j/k

-Frank
Old 11-22-2006, 12:42 AM
9kFever

You guys should just use Krankvents
Old 11-22-2006, 01:11 AM
350Z_LMS

@9kfever: what do you mean?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:07 AM
9kFever

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
@9kfever: what do you mean?
When I had my s2000 these were a hot commodity in the s2ki force induction forum. Many NA guys are running them too. These have made it possible for many members, most notably Sideways (500hp SC s2000) to alleviate oil consumption problems. If they save you guys are losing oil through the PCV system these should work.

http://automotivespeed.com/product_i...products_id=49

"Currently we are featuring the new krank vent mini's which basically act as a PCV replacement. This is perfect for anyone that is boosted or N/A and looking to get as much performance out of their vehicle as they can. The krank vents ensure proper ring seal and prevent blow-by from pressurizing the crankcase. Also works additionally well for boosted vehicles where factory PCV valves regularly fail and further pressurize the crankcase and causes even poorer ring seal. There have been gains of up to 20whp in some cases and many users report a smoother powerband with greatly reduced oil consumption! Get back that lost HP from your car and ensure longevity of your engine with one of these krank vent units."

Last edited by 9kFever; 11-22-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:40 AM
9kFever

Is this supposed to be the Case in my revup as well? 05 35th? I checked it when I bought the car but haven't since. Its been almost 800 miles.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Frosty1

Sideways has nowhere near 500hp.

Quick Reply: Worst Oil Consumption yet