Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Z died today- Fixed it though

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007 | 11:30 PM
DJMatrix1067

Default Z died today- Fixed it though

So i decided to wash my car today since it has been rainy and crappy all week, my car was an absolute mess. I was seriously starting to forget how good she cleaned up.

Took the car in to the local do-it-yourself coin operated wash, and began my ritual. car cleaned up awesome, and then i moved on to my engine for its bath and detail. i was washing underneath there the same way i always do, using as little water as possible to remove the soap, and being extra careful of my intake. As soon as i got it all washed down, i double checked to make sure my intake was dry, and then went to start my engine so it would dry off.

insert key. clutch down. turn key. starter motor cranks, but no firing from the engine. Wont turn over. After a few seconds im like well FLUCK. now im scared ****less cuz i mean waht if i got water in my intake. so i figure okay, dont do anything more, let it dry for a few minutes, pull off my airfilter so my tube can dry out. i dry the rest of the car with my hood open so the sun can dry it out.

Go to restart the engine and the same thing occurs. no firing. Im startin to freak out. Then i start smelling gasoline fumes from my engine bay. and as i try and start the car, they are getting worse and worse. im really starting to wonder if my car is going to explode now.

i call up a buddy (his name is mackie, hes on the site here but i dont remember his username, but kudos to him) and we start doin a rundown of what could be wrong. he mentions fuel lines, and immediately it occurs to me, im smelling gas and the car clearly is running fine but not receiving gas to the cylinders. so i look at the only fuel line i know of...sure enough i see it has become disconnected.

the hose clamp used to hold it on has just worn out and wont hold tight anymore, releasing the fuel line and causing fuel to spray out all over the damn engine. call the dealer and ask them how much. they quote me around 300. i say screw this. it just so happened i had a zip tie in my trunk, and i zip tied my fuel line back on. cranked the car and she turned over after a few seconds of hesitation. immediately drove to autozone where i found the hose clamps in a pack of 4 for $1.50. $1.50 and 15 minutes later, my fuel line was properly clamped down and my car was running fine.

unfortunately i lost about 2 gallons of gas, but whatever. so glad i didnt go to the deal. just shows what a little knowhow, a fellow z owner, and an autozone can do for you.
Old 03-17-2007 | 12:33 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by DJMatrix1067
So i decided to wash my car today since it has been rainy and crappy all week, my car was an absolute mess. I was seriously starting to forget how good she cleaned up.

Took the car in to the local do-it-yourself coin operated wash, and began my ritual. car cleaned up awesome, and then i moved on to my engine for its bath and detail. i was washing underneath there the same way i always do, using as little water as possible to remove the soap, and being extra careful of my intake. As soon as i got it all washed down, i double checked to make sure my intake was dry, and then went to start my engine so it would dry off.

insert key. clutch down. turn key. starter motor cranks, but no firing from the engine. Wont turn over. After a few seconds im like well FLUCK. now im scared ****less cuz i mean waht if i got water in my intake. so i figure okay, dont do anything more, let it dry for a few minutes, pull off my airfilter so my tube can dry out. i dry the rest of the car with my hood open so the sun can dry it out.

Go to restart the engine and the same thing occurs. no firing. Im startin to freak out. Then i start smelling gasoline fumes from my engine bay. and as i try and start the car, they are getting worse and worse. im really starting to wonder if my car is going to explode now.

i call up a buddy (his name is mackie, hes on the site here but i dont remember his username, but kudos to him) and we start doin a rundown of what could be wrong. he mentions fuel lines, and immediately it occurs to me, im smelling gas and the car clearly is running fine but not receiving gas to the cylinders. so i look at the only fuel line i know of...sure enough i see it has become disconnected.

the hose clamp used to hold it on has just worn out and wont hold tight anymore, releasing the fuel line and causing fuel to spray out all over the damn engine. call the dealer and ask them how much. they quote me around 300. i say screw this. it just so happened i had a zip tie in my trunk, and i zip tied my fuel line back on. cranked the car and she turned over after a few seconds of hesitation. immediately drove to autozone where i found the hose clamps in a pack of 4 for $1.50. $1.50 and 15 minutes later, my fuel line was properly clamped down and my car was running fine.

unfortunately i lost about 2 gallons of gas, but whatever. so glad i didnt go to the deal. just shows what a little knowhow, a fellow z owner, and an autozone can do for you.
Any time Jared but im glad it was something simple. Also you might be the first person to spell my name correctly the first time.
Old 03-17-2007 | 01:46 AM
JAB_06-350Z

Another reason to stay clear of stealerships. Glad to see forum members helping each other.
Old 03-22-2007 | 05:38 PM
smallello

Any day you can keep the dealer away from your car is a good day!