Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch Bleeding

I bought a Speedibleed power bleeder to do brake fluid maintenance on my car. I put on new brakes a couple of weekends ago and it worked very good. Later this year I want to put the car up in the air and replace MT fluid and push through a bunch of new brake fluid through the clutch cylinder BUT this note is in the service manual in the section for the clutch. Nothing like this is listed for the brake lines BTW.

NOTE: Do not use a vacuum assist or any other type of power bleeder on this system. Use of a vacuum assist or power bleeder will not purge all the air from the system.

Anybody out there familiar with systems that have these types of warnings? Why wouldn't it work?
The biggest question I have though is if the system is bubble free already, will using a power bleeder risk introducing bubbles or will it remain bubble free? Maybe could I power bleed the new fluid through then be stuck doing it the manual way with a partner to check for bubbles at the end?

Need some advice!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:36 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bleeding the clutch is pretty easy because it is a direct route. Open the bleed and just let it flow, add as needed, tap the slave every so often, pump the petal with the bleeder closed a dozen times , repeat.

I gravity bleed my brakes the same way.

Having "helpers" around are a hinderance.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 PM
bjr

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Bleeding the clutch is pretty easy because it is a direct route. Open the bleed and just let it flow, add as needed, tap the slave every so often, pump the petal with the bleeder closed a dozen times , repeat.

I gravity bleed my brakes the same way.

Having "helpers" around are a hinderance.
Thanks. I'll have to consider doing that. Sounds pretty easy for the clutch. How long do you think it will take to get new fluid all the way through the clutch line??
BTW, in the past I can't recall once you open a brake line that it will continue to flow. Will it really just keep coming out?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Eazzy

Just a few minutes--make sure you keep it topped, I always wait til its almost empty then fill it again.

Yes --brake/clutch will gravity flow, if it doesnt, then you have a collapsed hose or a proportioning valve off center. Tapping the Slave/caliper will dislodge bubbles
Old 05-28-2007, 06:26 AM
bjr

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Just a few minutes--make sure you keep it topped, I always wait til its almost empty then fill it again.

Yes --brake/clutch will gravity flow, if it doesnt, then you have a collapsed hose or a proportioning valve off center. Tapping the Slave/caliper will dislodge bubbles
Thanks. I'll give it a try!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
bjr

I was looking for something else and found this. Went ahead and just did gravity bleed last month and it worked just as advertised! Thanks for the tip Really easy way to do it.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by bjr
I was looking for something else and found this. Went ahead and just did gravity bleed last month and it worked just as advertised! Thanks for the tip Really easy way to do it.
Excellent