Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Automatic Transmission Problems?

Old 04-30-2003, 11:10 AM
vapspwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Problems?

I think this is my first post here. I've had my Z (Touring, automatic transmission) for less than 3 months. It's got ~6500 miles on it.

I've been having the apparent usual assortment of problems with it (clunking driver seat, radio volume (and general suckiness of the sound system), window streaks, lots of random rattles), but the latest one really took the cake.

I was driving to lunch Thursday, and the transmission started randomly dropping out of gear and revving up, then slamming back into gear. It did it 4 time in a stretch of about a mile or two. So I called my dealer, and they towed it in.

They tell me that the "valve body" was sticking, apparently due to a piece of metal in the transmission. They opened the transmission, found the problem, and ordered the part to fix it, but were then told by Nissan to NOT open the transmission. Apparently they're very secretive about the automatic transmission, or something. So at Nissan's direction, they're completely replacing the transmission under warranty.

I hope this isn't an omen of things to come. Anybody else had problems with automatic transmissions?

JRjr
Old 04-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

Just coming up on 5000 miles on my Z. No problems with the AT when driving. I have had it lock up a few times when parked. Car won't start and can't get it out of P. Simple to fix, just pop out the little plastic piece in the Shift Lock hole and insert a key to release the lever.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:58 PM
JimH

Default 5AT

I just passed 24k miles and no problems. Probably the single highest mileage 350 out here. I race it 2-3 times monthly and yet to experience any problems. I am presently on a 7 week, 8,000 mile road trip and all is well. Regards, Jim
Old 05-25-2003, 11:06 AM
luv2wine

Default auto tranny problem

Got an automatic Touring with ~8000 mi. that started the transmission clunking from day 1. Taken to dealer on several occasions, (who wanted to open up my tranny, UM NO!). Local Nissan guys sluffing me off to the national corp guys, who didn't return my calls until now. Have a TX Lemon law hearing at the end of this week, will keep fellow Z-Lovers up to date w/ what comes of it. The problems happen when hot or cold (atmospheric conditions and engine temps), and any time the car goes to OR from a FWD/Reverse direction. Anyone else having this/similar problems with the automatic transmission models?
BTW, Bose bass problem fixed w/ new amp but window grease persistant
Old 05-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Boomer

Default AT Problems

I have 4000 miles on mine and zero problems with the 5AT. I use the manual mode often, especially in town and have had 2 clunks when it downshifts to first in manual mode. This is w/o any accelerator pressure at all. Other than those 2 clunks, the operation has been flawless in full auto or manual mode. I don't consider it to be a flaw. Lots of ATs in sedans clunk once in a while, if it persists, take it to the dealer to get it on your record.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-25-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:43 PM
z327

Nissan replaced my 5AT at 5,000 miles when it started making a whining noise.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:20 PM
Omega350Z

Originally posted by z327
Nissan replaced my 5AT at 5,000 miles when it started making a whining noise.
A strange whining-grinding noise from 3500rpm and up? Regardless of gear your in? If so, mine jsut started doing that and is going in this monday. Good to know im not the only one, and that Nissan fixed it for you, they should be doing the same for me.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Omega350Z
A strange whining-grinding noise from 3500rpm and up? Regardless of gear your in? If so, mine jsut started doing that and is going in this monday. Good to know im not the only one, and that Nissan fixed it for you, they should be doing the same for me.
Ouch, I have 4400+ miles on my 5AT. I will be listening, but I won't change my driving style. If it can't take it, Nissan will owe me a new one, its a sports car and I will continue driving it hard and fast, in full auto or manual mode.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:18 PM
JimH

Default 5AT

Just clocked 30,000 miles and she has never been babied. The auto is working as well as it did the first day out. Regards, Jim
Old 06-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Omega350Z

Well, mine is in the shop and instead of dealing with the BS trying to get a loaner im stuck with my dads business truck tahoe until mines done. Had to spend like 30 bucks for a cab just to get home from the closest dealer... Hopefully i can be proud to say i have 35,000 miles and still drivin strong with this new tranny(30,000 miles on the new tranny like Jim's!)

It just sucks because i totally have to readjust from driving a sports car to driving a huge truck that handles like *** compared to the Z.

Im also having several other small TSB's checkd out and repaired/replaced while its in the shop just so i dont have to go back again other than for regular oil changes.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Omega350Z

Ok, well follow-up time i guess.

After taking it to the first dealer, they send the car home with me the next day, reason being they could not cuplicate the problematic sounds my trans is making.

I called NNA and filed a complaint about the crappy and less than respctful service and treatment i received from the first dealership.

I make and appointment to have a 2nd opinion made at the original dealer i bought the car from (very out of the way for me but must be done). About 10 minutes from leaving my work to teh dealer abotu an hour away, my trans goes out on me completely on the expresway while in at cruising speed. Have absolutely no throttle control and the car just keeps losing momentum until I get my way off at teh next exit and start calling around. Closest dealer is the SAME ONE that told me there was nothing wrong with my car. (Now believe they never even bothered to check it out) I tell my dealer that I do not want to be taken there at any possible cost, so I am towed to the next closest dealer.

8 days later I finally get my car back, no fees, nothing owed. Had a rental 4 days longer than i should have, but it was all worth it now. My car definitely drives and shifts MUCH smoother than it ever did with the first tranny. I think I may have had a lemon from the start and it finally gave way. Hopefully I will make it 30k miles like Jim now and not ever worry. But, If it does go out again after another 5400 miles, its on to an AWD turbo sedan for me. Wait a while until i get back in the seat of a sports car again.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:47 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 5AT

Ok, you guys are SCARING me. I thought the tranny problems were just for the manual tranny.

This is something that I've noticed during the last two weeks or so. I currently have 2,100 miles on my Z. It seems as if my shifting is a bit slow. When accelarating, it tends to liger longer than usual before it moves to the next gear. It sounds as if its shifting really hard. I'm hoping that this is just my imagination or is it?

For you guys that have had the tranny problems, what other symptoms did you have prior to the tranny completely blowing up?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Omega350Z

Reviving a dead thread here, im just short of 16k miles and my car is back in teh shop for yet ANOTHER transmission.

I have absolutely BABIED this one since the last one went out on me and i have no clue what is wrong.

This time i think i will be taking the plunge to an AWD turbo sedan. STi is a bit too pricey for me right now to start over on with another 5 years of payments so ill just be getting the regular WRX sedan or wagon possibly. I am also considering the srt-4 or rsx-s but i think id be happier with teh awd platform that subaru offers.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:48 PM
JimH

Default Auto tranny longevity

I just turned 59,000 miles and my tranny is as sure and smooth as the day I bought it. I run at the drags at least once a month and this car is NOT babied with all these miles on her. I do use it in manual mode at least 98% of the time. I adjusted to this mode early on and now it is un-natural for me to move it to drive. Go figure!
At around 15,000 miles I dropped the differential out and replaced it w/ one from a 6 speed for the additional grunt down low that I lost when I went to larger wheels/tires and all is well. Regards, Jim
Old 07-17-2004, 03:54 PM
NiSmO D1X

Damn hearing all these stories of blowing transmissions, but these are only 2 or 3 stories of the thousands that are sold. I'm scared but not that scared, I wish ya'll the best of luck and I just hope mine is not a lemon too. 5000 miles encounting