Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch + Tranny Noises - 2007 350z Enthusiast (w/ vids)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
OliverH22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch + Tranny Noises - 2007 350z Enthusiast (w/ vids)

Hey,

I have my 350z with about 2500 miles now, so far no abuse what so ever to neither the clutch or engine.

Ever since I got the car I found it very annoying that most times when I let off the clutch I hear this "pop" sound coming from the engine bay, and also as I shift I can hear the gears.

Both here in the forum and at Nissan I was told that should be the break in period, but the noise is still there, so here I am a sitting duck with a brand new car with clutch and tranny noises that my Prelude (you can see it on the vid too) with +- 275,000 miles does not make.

Once and for all, I hope to get some good input on this... Either I have to live with it, or I have to go back to Nissan kicking some ***, so I rest upon my fellas' opinions here in the forum to know what you think.

1st video (Starting engine and letting off clutch )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwiwFO6PNg (4 seconds)You can hear it between 2-3 seconds.
2nd video (Depressing clutch and releasing several times)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PraV-gDcPN0 (17 seconds)
This video is more detailed with the signs when I release clutch.

3rd video (Example of shifting noises)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8P-1LQye3k (11 seconds)
As I am driving, sometimes I hear them sometimes I dont

4th video (Random video of me backing out of my house)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvxBltMLYk (16 seconds)
@ 00:05 sounds like the engine was stalling, well wasnt.

So that's about it.
Let me know what ya'll think, be patient!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normal.

Normal.

Normal.

... normal.

I like the funny red letters.

I watched each video. The clutch will "pop" when it's fully engaged. I think it's the pressure plate but I'm not certain. The gearbox is also insanely loud. You can also move the shifter to the right and left while not in any gear and hear noise.

I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for but you are far from the first person to ask these exact questions and it all comes up the same. Just do a search for "clutch noise" or "transmission noise" and you'll get all types of info.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
cheshirecat79

Oh... and don't double post. One thread is enough. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM
OliverH22

Sorry for the double, I am new here and I thought I would get more "tech" support in this area, unfortunately I cannot delete my threads.

Anyways, I have read LOTS of threads about this issue...
But I've decided to do something different and post some vids (could even be for future reference if anyone comes up with questions like this).

Also, what drove me crazy is that some people say it's NORMAL and some DONT. But anyways, I will just let it be and move on!

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 PM
StoneZtech

I have 2006 MT6, and my Trann with 16K miles on her and she makes the same sounds.

Originally Posted by OliverH22
Hey,

I have my 350z with about 2500 miles now, so far no abuse what so ever to neither the clutch or engine.

Ever since I got the car I found it very annoying that most times when I let off the clutch I hear this "pop" sound coming from the engine bay, and also as I shift I can hear the gears.

Both here in the forum and at Nissan I was told that should be the break in period, but the noise is still there, so here I am a sitting duck with a brand new car with clutch and tranny noises that my Prelude (you can see it on the vid too) with +- 275,000 miles does not make.

Once and for all, I hope to get some good input on this... Either I have to live with it, or I have to go back to Nissan kicking some ***, so I rest upon my fellas' opinions here in the forum to know what you think.

1st video (Starting engine and letting off clutch )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwiwFO6PNg (4 seconds)You can hear it between 2-3 seconds.
2nd video (Depressing clutch and releasing several times)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PraV-gDcPN0 (17 seconds)
This video is more detailed with the signs when I release clutch.

3rd video (Example of shifting noises)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8P-1LQye3k (11 seconds)
As I am driving, sometimes I hear them sometimes I dont

4th video (Random video of me backing out of my house)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvxBltMLYk (16 seconds)
@ 00:05 sounds like the engine was stalling, well wasnt.

So that's about it.
Let me know what ya'll think, be patient!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Yikes, that's loud! My 07 doesn't sound like that?!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
cheshirecat79

My 06 sounds exactly like it.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, same noises here. Oh, and you're missing the loud rattle when not in gear and the clutch is engaged. Along with the nice resonance @ 3k rpms in 6th gear (approx 82 mph). Lovely noises...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 PM
BADASSTT

My 07 doesnt sound like that take it to the dealer
Old 11-12-2007, 06:15 PM
BADASSTT

Take to the dealer asap.

Last edited by BADASSTT; 11-12-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
jdallatezza

I have similar problems as you and I'm taking it to the dealer regardless of how many people acknowledge it as a part of the status quo. I don't see why a transmission would make that much damn noise. When I had my first drive with my Z from the dealer to the driveway (of course I remember that moment), I don't remember some loud rattling noise that would rival something out of a 3 month old's toy box.

I'm not too fond of the mystical metal box that is the transmission, but I'm confident in saying that a 2007 Nissan 350z should not be cranking and shaking like a wrecking ball crane straight out of the 1950's.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by jdallatezza
I have similar problems as you and I'm taking it to the dealer regardless of how many people acknowledge it as a part of the status quo. I don't see why a transmission would make that much damn noise. When I had my first drive with my Z from the dealer to the driveway (of course I remember that moment), I don't remember some loud rattling noise that would rival something out of a 3 month old's toy box.

I'm not too fond of the mystical metal box that is the transmission, but I'm confident in saying that a 2007 Nissan 350z should not be cranking and shaking like a wrecking ball crane straight out of the 1950's.
Let us know how far you get with the dealer. If you somehow find some kind of magical fix, warn Nissan while you're there because there's another 20,000 Z's with this same "problem".
Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Mamounas123

take it to the dealer bro. whenever im in gear and depress the clutch in it makes a pretty loud rattling noise. Its espicially louder when you have it in reverse and the depress the clutch. On my 07 a tried to do a burnout and when i popped the clutch out instead of the wheels spinning, it burned the clutch. The clutch also was stuck half way in and and depressed it a few times and it finalyy came up to the original spot. Im pretty sure i have the 07 clutch problem. What have you guys with this problem told the dealer to get your clutches replaced?

Last edited by Mamounas123; 11-14-2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 AM
mcurry5

I dont know about you, but damn that 2007 exhaust sounds good when you are pulling it back in the garage. I have the 2007 and really dont get to hear the exhaust since I am always in the car. I love that sound !!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Shamshe

I have the same noise in my 07 and i only have 1700 miles on it.... i think imma take it to the dealership to get it maintenanced and ill tell them about the problem. hopefully they will acknowledge it! but yeah i have the same sounds... also theres this whining noise when between 1.5 - 4 rmps in the first three gears.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 AM
jdallatezza

I went and had my appointment at the dealer this morning...and cheshirecat was beyond right about the noise...just like the other 600,000 lol. I drove another manual Z around the lot a few times and it made just as much noise in all the same places.

At least I got the ultimate satisfaction: an oral and written certification by a Nissan mechanic O_o.

I would've done alright by the rest of everyone shouting "ITS NORMAL", but I'm paranoid - period.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

The Click you're talking about is normal, so are the gear changing noises.

Ever hear a viper switch gears? Loud as all hell.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Ztalker

i don't know about that "pop" when you release your clutch cuz my 03 doesn't make that noise, but the gear shifting noise is pretty normal. Go see a nissan tech.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 AM
HpnoticZ

The reason that you notice this sound with the Z and not the prelude lays in the fact that the Z trans was built with power in mind. Prelude is built to be a honda that is comfortable to drive. So really you should be proud of your loud clunky trans. To make a trans strong they us a lot of hard metal parts that fit very closely in place. It is normal as long as it shifts some what smooth. My car doesnt shift smooth anymore but i think its from beating it up so much, but it has never broken!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Seamaster

My 07 has 7400 miles, makes same noise but not that loud, also sometimes there is noise seems come from rear diff.

Quick Reply: Clutch + Tranny Noises - 2007 350z Enthusiast (w/ vids)