Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Turbo installed, Headers cherry red @ idle, Backfireing?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djclongisland

If you are backfiring out the exhaust and your fuel is tuned right, then your timing is too retarted.
What would make your timing retarded at idle?Did the car run correctly before? What do you mean parts of the kit were missing? Expound..
A stock ECY would not retard that much timing at idle to make the cars EGT run that hot. Did they hook up a consult and see whats going on with the car as its running?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 AM
djclongisland

I just spoke to reggie at TN, i gotta see if the Computer was replaced. heres the deal with my car

I purchaced it from a friend of a friend kinda thing

the car was re-possesed

the car was an 03 track 34000 miles with the turbonetics st kit and nismo exhaust, before gerring towed away, the guy who owned it took off the turbo and the pipe with the blowoff valve, i had to purchace a new turbo pipe and blow off valve, and a few lines (oil)

everything was installed but the car idled like crap and the manifolds heated up @ idle my vdcoff and slip lights were on

i went home and they said they would take a look @ it tomorrow (today)

i searched online for a few hours i typed in "glowing manifold backfire" in google, after searching with a few keywordds i found a bunch of pages where ppl had the same problem (not all with 350z) and 99% of the time the timing was retarted, so im guessing its a non-flashed ecu causing the car to do that, basiclly its running on stock settings when it should be running on turbonetics re-flash settings

does that make sence?

Last edited by djclongisland; 12-12-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 AM
djclongisland

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
What would make your timing retarded at idle?Did the car run correctly before? What do you mean parts of the kit were missing? Expound..
A stock ECY would not retard that much timing at idle to make the cars EGT run that hot. Did they hook up a consult and see whats going on with the car as its running?

----------that was from an article i diddent say that sorry hah
Old 12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
SGP_Racing

Default Preignition ( Too little timing ) is actually worse than just

about anything else but, like Julian sai" I have never seen that on a Z " For that to be happening @ Idle.. Crazy..
Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If its lighting up your manifolds, just think of what its doing to your exhaust valves.

They are getting burnt like toast.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
If its lighting up your manifolds, just think of what its doing to your exhaust valves.

They are getting burnt like toast.
Yup, Burnt like diner toast..
Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I was going to put that down but I didn't want to plagerize NoahzBurnt's line.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-18-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djclongisland
I just spoke to reggie at TN, i gotta see if the Computer was replaced. heres the deal with my car

I purchaced it from a friend of a friend kinda thing

the car was re-possesed

the car was an 03 track 34000 miles with the turbonetics st kit and nismo exhaust, before gerring towed away, the guy who owned it took off the turbo and the pipe with the blowoff valve, i had to purchace a new turbo pipe and blow off valve, and a few lines (oil)

everything was installed but the car idled like crap and the manifolds heated up @ idle my vdcoff and slip lights were on

i went home and they said they would take a look @ it tomorrow (today)

i searched online for a few hours i typed in "glowing manifold backfire" in google, after searching with a few keywordds i found a bunch of pages where ppl had the same problem (not all with 350z) and 99% of the time the timing was retarted, so im guessing its a non-flashed ecu causing the car to do that, basiclly its running on stock settings when it should be running on turbonetics re-flash settings

does that make sence?
Something here does not make sense. Even if you have a turbo on the car, your idle timing should not be much different from stock. Basically, when you're at idle, the timing is already at a very low advancement, maybe 10 degrees, maybe not, just enough to keep the engine spinning. If in fact your timing is to blame, based on that logic, I would say that your ECU is not stock. Stock idle timing would not cause this kind of issue. It's possible your ECU has a severely retarded timing and you're igniting the mix right before your exhaust valve opens. I think this already been said but your valves may be getting really pissed off right now. You may already have a cracked valve or you're close it. Hopefully, you can resolve this.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 AM
captj3

I can't believe that VTR didn't notice that your headers were glowing after the install. Don't they check a car after they finish? I think you got scewed on the sale of the car. But if you need a new stock ECU I have one for sale from a 05 track with 4500 miles on it. $300 shipped.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by captj3
I can't believe that VTR didn't notice that your headers were glowing after the install. Don't they check a car after they finish? I think you got scewed on the sale of the car. But if you need a new stock ECU I have one for sale from a 05 track with 4500 miles on it. $300 shipped.
I would think the driver of the worlds fastest Nissan would be able to diagnose and fix this issue in his sleep..
Old 12-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the driver of the worlds fastest Nissan would be able to diagnose and fix this issue in his sleep..

How fast is it??
Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 AM
NoahzBurnt

Yup, Burnt like diner toast..

+5 JDM points for u...

OP: Good luck with your car......your gonna need it
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
NoahzBurnt

Originally Posted by captj3

Yeah...i can't believe they didn't see the problem before hand...first time that must have happened

Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 AM
NoahzBurnt

BTW VDC and SLIP lights have NOTHINg to do with your MAF...they would be on teh car ONLY if:

a) the car was dynoed here those systems did not work
b) your brake pads are worn
c) your ecu is not reading the signals from your ABS and TCS systems correctly
d) you have a completely shot ECU that is not reading those systems correctly

Basically the MAF has JACK SHEET to do with your traction control and ABS systems...i think you have a fried ECU, a motor that is severly damaged now AND a big repair bill infront of you.

Did your shop send that ECU to turbonetics or check that it was flashed before he installed your turbo? I would have insisted that they checked everything before hand...if not your lucky your motor didn't blow on the road and blamed it on being "USED"

Last edited by NoahzBurnt; 12-21-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Vinny@VTR

hey everyone whats up, im glad to see so many people are interested and helpfull on the forums must be the holiday spirit, any way to get to the point this cust. brought the car to me with the turbo or part of it installed the car from another shop on the island, i will not mention any names and from what heard the car was never right the car was then repoed by the bank at some point various diffrent parts were removed before/after it was taken at that point the car was sold to this cust. who is a really nice kid however when it showed up at the shop it had no turbo on it and no intercooler pipes just injen intake off throtle body with the mass air sensor in the pipe we order the pipes and the customer brought us the turbo since the car ran we assumed it still had the t/netics reflash in it we put the turbo hooked up his i/c pipes and the rest off his exhaust after about a few minutes we pulled the car out side the reason we did not test drive the car is simple the car has a huge power stearing leak coming from he left side of the rack and pinion were the tie rod connects to the inner shaft of the rack the seal at this is obiviosly blown out and the fluid is pouring out faster than we can put it in so rather than test drive the car we called the custermer to come down and drive the car and the work that was ask to be done was complete. at that point i walk the cust out to the car and start it up with him after several minutes of going over the car we can see that the ex and turbine inlet pipe starting to glow red we shut the car down tell the cust. he cant take the car and arrange a ride back for him back home (no drama) the next day we go over the whole car (which we were not ask to do in the first place just put the turbo and pipes on) which at that point we found that the ecu was swaped with a non reflashed unit and rekeyed so we sent the box directly to tadashi for a relash at that point we also found some really bad wiring done that was causing a intermitten misfire in #6 cyl. which we repaired we put the box back in the car and restarted it and guess what allthough it was running better the car still over heated the manifold you can think retarded timing you can think to rich of a mixture and probably a number of other things that would all be a correct directions to take but you have remember every car has a story and this has a colorfull history at best and one which we did not have or know but remember at the beginning of this problem what i said the car came into me with no turbo that means all the exhaust is going out the car from under the hood (i know its crazy) and not thrue the exhaust so we removed the ex haust and what do ya know freakin thing runs perfect so i GIVE (no charge) and install a used factory cat back ex! the car runs perfect except for the p/s leak i charged the cust. (its obvisous the exhaust was clogged internally) for the overnight and the reflash and a set of spark plugs and 4 hours of labor which i felt was really really fair. so sometimes thinking the most complicated reason something is doing something is not always correct you have to take a step back and look at each car and problem as a step by step procedure to find what the cause was we all like to come up with a theory of why something does not work and try to make it fit the problem but its hard sometimes to give the correct advice without being present in the shop or knowing the cars history ! needless to say the customer has the car and is very happy and the problem was repaired in a step by step manner of logical trouble shooting procedure. i want to thank everyone on these forums for their advice and effort to help a fellow enthusiast a very happy holiday and a great new year and although i may not agree with mrc all the time i d like to extend my hand of friendship to jullian as we go forwad into the new year and wish the guys in that camp a very happy new year also i want the same for sharrif and all the other shops and sponsors that support this z &g community thank you and happy holiday...vinny ten
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

OMFG, I can not believe I just read that 600 word run on sentence.. My head hurts... Try some " . " " , " and *space bar* next time..Im dizzy..
All jokes aside, Happy holidays to you and your family also Vinny.
I tried calling you a while back to formally appologize to you for me being a douche to you, but Alex told me you were busy, and didnt want to talk. Which is understandable. Perhaps our paths will cross in the upcomming year.
I wish you the best and may your business grow and prosper and may you have a healthy and happy 2008 ! Give Alex and the crew our regards..
Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Is there anybody you havn't throughly pissed off at one time or another?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Is there anybody you havn't throughly pissed off at one time or another?
You...Oh crap wait a minute....

Ummmm....

No.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Damn I hope to never cross the path of the "Old Julian" again.

You can be either the most irratating or the most humorous guy on the forums.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Damn I hope to never cross the path of the "Old Julian" again.

You can be either the most irratating or the most humorous guy on the forums.
But I sell your $hit like HOTCAKES!!

Quick Reply: Turbo installed, Headers cherry red @ idle, Backfireing?!