Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How much to fix, TSB fuel tank difficult to fill

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
03aeroZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what does the sending unit problem "look like" and what does the shutter valve problem "look like"? my gas gauge goes all over the place, but i can fill the tank all the way, so i am guessing my problem is the sending unit. anyone know how much this runs, tim?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

i'm having same issue, called nissan see if my car was recall, but wasn't so i guess i gotta live with for while
Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
so what does the sending unit problem "look like" and what does the shutter valve problem "look like"? my gas gauge goes all over the place, but i can fill the tank all the way, so i am guessing my problem is the sending unit. anyone know how much this runs, tim?
It is covered by the powertrain warranty (5yr/60,000 mile) if your car is out of that you're looking somewhere around $425.00 to replace both sending units. (yes there are 2, and yes do them both)
Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^ Tim,

is this HAVE to be fix soon or later? I don't know

Looks like everyone has this problems
Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

As long as its just the gauge being inaccurate you can drive it like that. If it actually stops pumping fuel then you're in trouble.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Tim@Performance
As long as its just the gauge being inaccurate you can drive it like that. If it actually stops pumping fuel then you're in trouble.

humm i have to see next time when i put gas.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 05:37 AM
RKnight

I was having this problem and took it to the dealership and they replaced the sending units and no more problem. Before that time I just used my trip odometer to figure my fuel level. I know I can get just over 400 miles out of a tank of gas so when I get to 400 mi. I would fill it back up taking around 19 gal of gas to fill the 20 gal. tank.It isn't that your tank isn't taking the gas it is your sending unit not telling you how much gas is in the tank.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:54 AM
captj3

Where is the second sending unit? I know 1 is on the pump housing with the float arm. My problem is the opposite the gaiuge says 1/4 tank and the takes 7-10 gals when I fill up.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
03aeroZ

so i called around to two diff stealerships, they both said no go on the coverage under power train warranty. are they missing something or am i getting screwed? also, what could cause these to go out so I don't cause it again. I use octane boost from time to time, would that do it? or does filling it as full as possible do it?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
so i called around to two diff stealerships, they both said no go on the coverage under power train warranty. are they missing something or am i getting screwed? also, what could cause these to go out so I don't cause it again. I use octane boost from time to time, would that do it? or does filling it as full as possible do it?
My bad....they're right. Not covered by powertrain. Sorry.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
captj3

Tim were is the 2nd sending unit located?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

In the fuel tank.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
03aeroZ

awww tim!!!! hell, you got my hopes up and then smashed them....looks like i will be waiting to get this done.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
jdmteg2nv

same problem on my 03 touring...

seems like sending unit is bad...fill up the tank...drive for 20 miles and the gauge reads 3/4 tank and slowly decends from there...till reads Empty goto fill it up and it only takes 13 gallons...

Sounds like this shoud be a re-call
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM
SoldzMyZ

Is anyone elses fuel flutter valve effected by whether. Mine acts up when I fuel up in the morning or in the winter. Right noe its actually pretty acurate but I'm going to fix mine in a few weak.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Darth Zader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could use a little clarification here... I have the issue captj3 mentions. My fuel gauge looks fine but I only get like 160 miles before I'm down to a quarter tank. I fill 'er up and it only takes like 8 gallons and the gauge never really gets to full (somewhere between 3/4 and full). Is this the sending unit issue?

I have read tons of reports of people having issues getting the gas into the tank, which is the valve problem, no? Typically those people say their gauge shows accurately a half tank in spite of the pump not letting them get any more fuel into the car. My gauge just acts like I only have a 10 gallon tank and I didn't really notice until I kept track of how many miles I was driving.

Glendale (CA) Nissan wants me to bring my Z in so they can look at it for $150 to diagnose. Eff that. I can live with the issue most of the time but if warranty can cover it, I need it fixed with 42,000 miles on my '04.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM
SoldzMyZ

I think you've passed the warranty period. I've done fuel filter and fuel pump jobs before. I'm going to tackle this issue next weekend. If it fixes my issue when I do it myself I wonder if I can charge people to fix this. I think the dealer is asking 500, I could probably do it for 250.00
Old 06-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Darth Zader

Default Update

Originally Posted by Darth Zader
I could use a little clarification here... I have the issue captj3 mentions. My fuel gauge looks fine but I only get like 160 miles before I'm down to a quarter tank. I fill 'er up and it only takes like 8 gallons and the gauge never really gets to full (somewhere between 3/4 and full). Is this the sending unit issue?

I have read tons of reports of people having issues getting the gas into the tank, which is the valve problem, no? Typically those people say their gauge shows accurately a half tank in spite of the pump not letting them get any more fuel into the car. My gauge just acts like I only have a 10 gallon tank and I didn't really notice until I kept track of how many miles I was driving.

Glendale (CA) Nissan wants me to bring my Z in so they can look at it for $150 to diagnose. Eff that. I can live with the issue most of the time but if warranty can cover it, I need it fixed with 42,000 miles on my '04.
An update for what I'm experiencing:
So I got myself a one gallon gas can and kept it full in my car for a while. Going from a completely full tank, my gauge hit EMPTY at about 160 miles. Usually it would say about one-quarter tank remaining at that point so I was a bit confused but my mission was to reach 300 miles or run out of gas assuming the computer's estimate of 17 mpg city was correct. With the gauges pinned at EMPTY for the next 140+ miles, I ran out of gas at 301 miles. Fully filling the tank for the first time ever at record breaking Los Angeles prices, I dumped 20 gallons in. My best guess then is that there is an issue with one of the floaters or the electrical stuff connected to it. I'm also wondering if my mods (pop charger, plenum spacer, Borla exhaust) are f'ing with the fuel ratio since I basically got 300/20 = 15 mpg.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Beka Z
Banned

Well to give you an idea,

I have the same/similar issue. I will fill up with 18-20 gallons, my needle does not read full, i'll drive about 100 miles and the needle will be sitting on E until I use the tank. never moves.

I took my car to the dealer, got quoted $295 to replace the fuel sending unit.
When they actually looked, it was a problem with the fuel pump assembly/unit on one side and the sending unit on the other side, so now i'm out $690 to get them both fixed.

I'm sure that it could be done cheaper by finding the parts yourself and having a Z shop do it who is familiar with the process, but the car was already at the dealer. They gave me a 09 murano to drive in the meantime so that was nice.. haha
Old 07-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Darth Zader

Thumbs up Solved for now

A mechanic friend of mine was in town and we took a look at the two floaters and the sender units. First we took out the one behind the driver's seat and lifted the floater to where it would be in the full position and watched the fuel gauge. Since I only had a half of a tank of gas anyway, the gauge went up to about 3/4 tank. With the floater held up at the full position, we did the same using a hanger as a hook and pulled the floater on the passenger side to full. Sure enough, the gauge read beyond full (something I've never seen on my car). So we know the sending units and electronics are functional. We put the floaters back and buttoned it up again. It turns out that just moving the floaters and reinstalling fixed the issue. Perhaps one was stuck and never could reach full level. I just refueled at below 1/4 tank and put 14 gallons in, pushing the gauge to over full. Not sure what the problem was but this worked (at least temporarily). FYI, you can get access to the senders from the panels behind the seats. Take note that if you turn the key to get a look at the fuel gauge level, be sure the fuel hose is connected so you don't pump fuel into the passenger compartment. Also, since there will be no pressure in the tank with the access panels open your "Check Engine" light will be on. It will go away again after you screw the panels back on the tank.

Quick Reply: How much to fix, TSB fuel tank difficult to fill