Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How to Adjust Headlights (Zenon)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:54 PM
danotto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Adjust Headlights (Zenon)

I finally figured out how to adjust the height of the headlamps. It is very easy to do once you know where to do it. All you need is a #8 Phillips Head Screwdriver that is about 12" long. Below is a picture of where to put the head of the screwdriver. You will most likely need a flashlight to see where to go. Do not look for a screw to adjust, it is more like a gear that you turn by turning the screwdriver. You can see the teeth of the gear in the picture below. Strange but it works like a champ. My field of vision was way too low with the adjustment from the factory, now it is perfect. These lights are highly adjustable, just do not go too high.

This is a picture of the passenger side adjustment. The drivers side is virtually the same, just a little harder to find.
Attached Thumbnails How to Adjust Headlights (Zenon)-headlight-adjust.jpg  

Last edited by danotto; 07-07-2003 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Moroccan_Mole

ive been wanting to do this for a while, how did you get the height correct ... trial and error? how times did you turn the gear?
Old 07-07-2003, 08:41 PM
danotto

It takes quite a few turns before you notice a big change. I just parked about 6 feet from a wall with the headlamps on, marked the current level on the wall, and then adjusted. My first attempt produced a level that illuminated the road signs that span across the highway. MUCH TOO HIGH. A little goes a long way, so just use trial and error until you get it right.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Thank you! For the picture. I had been looking for the wrong type of adjustment. The picture was worth a thoudsand words this time.

I adjusted mine however have to wait until tomorrow night to check it out. Darn sleeping pills. I just wish they would work.

But, tonight it was worth not being able to sleep.

Just curious: Is there any side to side adjust? Or do you have to do some sort of shimming thing?

You're right once you know where to look and what the adjustment gear looks like it is pretty simple granting you have the right long phillips in hand. Fortunately, I do.

Thanks again danotto the best information I've gained off the internet in some time.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:14 AM
danotto

Hey my pleasure. I remember how happy I was after figuring it out. That low setting from the factory drove me nuts.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Phatmitzu

Woh, nice. Which way do you turn clock or counter clock to make it aim higher?
Old 02-14-2004, 03:44 AM
HokieZ

Hey, thanks! I've been wanting to change this for a while since mine came with one that is minutely lower than the other and yeah, they don't project very far down the road. Living out a unlit 2 lane road can make encounters with wildlife a harrowing experience....

Thanks again....
Old 02-14-2004, 10:00 AM
danotto

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Woh, nice. Which way do you turn clock or counter clock to make it aim higher?
I can't remember, it's been a while. I would just park away about 10' away from a wall and turn on lights, mark the wall, and then turn away until they start to rise. Then you know that you are going in the right direction. It takes more turns than you would think. Also, you will be amazed at how much better you will be able to see. These lights are GREAT if aimed properly.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:21 PM
tcn75

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey , thanks for the post .. i haven't adjust my headlight yet, but i feel happy already .. i was thinking take the car to dealer to adjust .. but i think I can do it myself now.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Scrapin 240

i thought i was the only one that thought they were low. i felt my 91 240 had a better light output. Glad someone attempted this. Nice!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:00 AM
HokieZ

Mine came out somewhat strange. If I aligned them on the wall so they were level to one another and then crouched down, one light got brighter (like looking directly into the bulb). To get it to where both got bright simultaneously, the top of the light is aligned lower than the other. Anybody else experience this?
Old 02-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Jonesy

Great thread Danotto, that's pretty sweet. It worked well for me. When I saw it, I thought of a comedy skit I saw or read somewhere where you could adjust the beams while driving to blind/**** off other drivers whenever you felt like it. Anyone remember this? Anyways, thanks again for the pic.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:28 PM
danotto

Originally posted by HokieZ
Mine came out somewhat strange. If I aligned them on the wall so they were level to one another and then crouched down, one light got brighter (like looking directly into the bulb). To get it to where both got bright simultaneously, the top of the light is aligned lower than the other. Anybody else experience this?
Probably just variations in the lens. I seem to remember mine being the same way.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Beaker02

Going out to buy my screwdriver now. Been needing to do this ever sence I dropped the car.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 AM
SBZ

Went to Sears and couldn't find a # 8 phillips head scewdriver. Largest they had was a #4 phillips head srewdriver and it was quite big. Your picture was great i would have never have found the adjustment "screw" without it. I tried a number 3 and it was so wide (in circumference) that i couldn't see what i was doing as it totally blocked all of the light i had. The diagram in the maintenace manual is not specific at all what size to use and does'nt specify which way to turn. I'm not saying your wrong, I just could see how to adjust the 'screw' since the threads are on the head of the screw. Is there another tool that might work. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

The bit on my cordless screwdriver that is the same size as my giant screwdriver is a #2 (seems like the standard bit that came with it too) but I am not sure how they are numbered or what the reference is.

Here is a full "How To" on headlight adjustments.
http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-003/index.asp

As far as I have found there is no side to side but also understand that left hand drive cars alway try to cut some light to the left to lessen the dazzle to oncoming traffic.

Chris
Old 04-12-2005, 11:48 AM
SBZ

Red face

Thanks Hypersprite. I guess its back to Sears again.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Beaker02

Worked great! CW raises the lights CCW lowers them. FYI.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:23 PM
sharingan625

woohoo~

thank you very much for this.

i was about to take the car apart to do this.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:03 AM
NTRIGUE

Although I 'got by' with a shorter phillips you really need a 12" driver.

Oh and clockwise raises the lamps and can take a while.

Oh and 1 in higher is very dramatic when you're lights are shining 50 feet away so little changes.

Quick Reply: How to Adjust Headlights (Zenon)