Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

headlight plastic shows "stress cracks"

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:31 AM
N74DV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight plastic shows "stress cracks"

my headlights both have about 30-40 small hairline cracks about 1/2" long. They are all orented the same direction. It looks like the type of cracks you get when you bend a piece of plexiglass... small white hairline cracks.

Dealer says Nissan may not warranty because he says it mey be due to my 3M protective film on the plastic headlamps.

Somewhere I thought I heard of another Z owner who had the same cracks and did NOT have 3M clear bra film on them.

I HIGHLY doubt the 3M fil is causing the cracks.... so many other cars have the film and do not have cracks

sorry no pics yet... I'll try to get some

who else has these???
Old 07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I have them also, and no film whatsoever on them so that is not it.

They are mostly on the lower inside corner and the are not on the surface and on both lights.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Morris

I had the cracks on both headlights. I and several other people watched the lights crack. I was traveling and went to the first dealer right after it happened. This dealer said they would replace them if they had the parts, which they did not.

Three days later I went to the dealer in the town I was visiting. They ordered new headlghts (got them in 2 days) and replaced them without question. The next day, the dealer had another Z come in with the same problem (first two he had seen). So, he did some research. The service manager told there are some "technical notes" out regarding the cracking. He said they "think" that petroluem based cleaners are casuing the headlights to crack. He emphasized that they "think" this is the cause. He said that technical notes are sometimes available on issues they are studying, but do not have enough information on to publish a technical bulletin.

How much of this is correct? I don't know. All I know is that a dealer 4 hours from my home replaced the lights without hesitiation. While they were at it, the fixed my window grease streaks. I have been waiting for over two months for my local dealer to get the parts to fix the window grease streaks.

Sorry for the long post....
Old 07-23-2003, 10:43 AM
N74DV

Morris... that's what I needed to hear... I need your help.....please check your PM's
Old 07-23-2003, 10:45 AM
N74DV

Westpak.....have you gone to the dealer??

my dealer says now way will they replace them because they were caused by the bra.

that's total BS
Old 07-23-2003, 11:01 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by N74DV
Westpak.....have you gone to the dealer??

my dealer says now way will they replace them because they were caused by the bra.

that's total BS
I showed it to them just as a note but have not pushed it yet.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:28 AM
JimH

Default Cracks

DJ, I have a friend w/a Redline that we go on runs w/often. Last Saturday we went to Lakeside-Pinetop to the Navaho Festival and he showed me his headlights. He had just removed the clear bra a week ago and only one of the headlight lenses was scratched. BUT, it was horrendous IMHO. It looked like someone had taken a rattail file to it, yet, the other lens was clear. I'm going to get a pic of it and post to see if this is similiar to what you experienced.
My clear bra has been on since November and I have over 32,000 miles on it and no symptoms of any cracking. Are these cracks appearing in/because of the removal process?
Regards, Jim
Old 07-23-2003, 11:35 AM
JimH

Default Re: Cracks

DJ, I just spoke to my friend and he has/had no 3M on the headlights (I do) so that takes that hypothesis (3M removal process at fault)
out of the question. I'm posting pix this afternoon. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by JimH
DJ, I have a friend w/a Redline that we go on runs w/often. Last Saturday we went to Lakeside-Pinetop to the Navaho Festival and he showed me his headlights. He had just removed the clear bra a week ago and only one of the headlight lenses was scratched. BUT, it was horrendous IMHO. It looked like someone had taken a rattail file to it, yet, the other lens was clear. I'm going to get a pic of it and post to see if this is similiar to what you experienced.
My clear bra has been on since November and I have over 32,000 miles on it and no symptoms of any cracking. Are these cracks appearing in/because of the removal process?
Regards, Jim
Old 07-23-2003, 11:43 AM
N74DV

hi Jim,

no these are not appearing because of removal process... they are in the headlight plastic underneath the clear bra material. They started to appear in the last month or so.

They look exactly like what happens when you flex a piece od plexiglass too much... small white cracks.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:45 PM
JimH

Default DJ, Do yours look like this?

He never had 3M material on his and it is only one light that looks like this. His is going into West Valley Nissan tomorrow for repair. I'll let you know what they say re: warranty coverage. Regards, Jim

hi Jim,

no these are not appearing because of removal process... they are in the headlight plastic underneath the clear bra material. They started to appear in the last month or so.

They look exactly like what happens when you flex a piece od plexiglass too much... small white cracks.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:51 PM
N74DV

Default pictures

these are large pictures so you can see the cracks...

I'm furious with the way Earnhardt Nissan is handling this. The tech told me that all Z's have this and that the only reason I am seeing it is because the clear bra is "magnifying" the effect...!!!!

is that the most ridiculous thing you have heard?

what is this $hit?!... the techs are optics experts now?!!

BTW these pics are with the clearbra removed... as you can tell the "magnifying effect" is pure BS.

Last edited by N74DV; 07-23-2003 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Morris

I forgot to mention that I have a clear bra, but not on the headlights.

As I mentioned in my post earlier, the servicer manager said Nissian has "technical notes" stating that cetain types of cleaners is causing this.

Headlights should not crack because any type of cleaner is put on it. By the way, I think it is cleaners causing it.

N74DV, I will check Pms in a minute.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:53 AM
az240z

Default Re: headlight plastic shows "stress cracks"

my headlights both have about 30-40 small hairline cracks about 1/2" long. They are all orented the same direction. It looks like the type of cracks you get when you bend a piece of plexiglass... small white hairline cracks.

Dealer says Nissan may not warranty because he says it mey be due to my 3M protective film on the plastic headlamps.

Somewhere I thought I heard of another Z owner who had the same cracks and did NOT have 3M clear bra film on them.

I HIGHLY doubt the 3M fil is causing the cracks.... so many other cars have the film and do not have cracks

sorry no pics yet... I'll try to get some

who else has these???
I would call NNA and file a complaint.

Az240z
Old 07-25-2003, 03:24 AM
ttheisen93

Mine are being replaced next week. I don't have a clear bra on the lights, but I have 12 cracks on the left and about 30 on the right. The dealer didn't have any problem with saying they needed replacing.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:22 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Sounds like a reason to call NNA. No reason these shouldn't be replaced, no questions asked. How the heck could a plastic film cause stress cracks?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:22 PM
N74DV

dealer said his dealership would cover them and that he was doing it as a gesture of goodwill because Nissan will not cover the claim.

He said the cracks are due to mistreatment.

WTF? all I ever did to the headlights is wash them with soapy water and dry them with a soft cloth.

****ing dealership a$$holes!
Old 08-13-2003, 03:02 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

You guys jinxed me. I just notice a very small number of these lines in the very front corner of one of my lights.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:10 AM
westpak
SFZCC

There is no such thing as good will, Nissan will cover them, those light are expensive, they wouldn't do it unless Nissan was paying them back for them.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Zyasooner

Has anyone considered the possible correlation between the stress cracks and rough roads? For those who are experiencing the cracks, do you believe the roads you drive may be on average rougher than what the rest of us drive.

I get the feeling very few people overall are having this problem sice this is the first post I've seen of this issue.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:18 PM
N74DV

there have been a few posts regarding the headlamp cracks.

I do not think it has anything to do with rough roads... my Z has seen only smooth asphalt here in Phoenix, AZ. We are lucky here to have very nice roads.

Maybe it has something to do with heat??? It was about 119 degrees here the week that I began noticing....

Quick Reply: headlight plastic shows "stress cracks"