Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Royal Purple... just a marketing hype?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Royal Purple... just a marketing hype?!

Hey guys,

I just switched over to using Royal Purple 5W-30 on my 2008 Z with 11,000 miles on it.

I've done some research on Royal Purple, but I am hearing from my friends that it is all marketing hype with Royal Purple, and that Amsoil and Motul are better.

Any opinions? Any facts to back up either way?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil had some of the best wear ratings from the analysis Z owners received IIRC.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Originally Posted by blasian
Amsoil had some of the best wear ratings from the analysis Z owners received IIRC.
How can I get a hold of this info? =)
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by xdrius
How can I get a hold of this info? =)
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

Good info here
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
sk26dett

There are better oils than RP and they cost less. Are you using it for the advanced wear protection or the hp increase? If you are stop because it does neither of the two.

I used M1 for a while but i've been using castrol syntec 5w-30 lately because it's always on sale at walmart.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

its good, but i think mobil 1 is the best for the money
Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sk26dett
There are better oils than RP and they cost less. Are you using it for the advanced wear protection or the hp increase? If you are stop because it does neither of the two.

I used M1 for a while but i've been using castrol syntec 5w-30 lately because it's always on sale at walmart.

shoot castrol syntec doesn't break down as fast as mobil 1 anyways... my opinion castrol is a better oil... and I think the two best oils for my car, that I've used have been the German Castrol Syntec and Enos all 5x30
Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dig the Royal Purple & don't believe every word or post on the internet. Guess we are all entitled to our own preferences & opinions. M1 also rocks, the original synthetic oil.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by stealthz
shoot castrol syntec doesn't break down as fast as mobil 1 anyways... my opinion castrol is a better oil... and I think the two best oils for my car, that I've used have been the German Castrol Syntec and Enos all 5x30
+1 on German Castrol Syntec

Mobil 1 always burned a quart between a change while the other oils I've used didn't. M1 also gave me the valve tap on cold starts.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
M1 also rocks, the original synthetic oil.
According to analysis, it doesn't.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
sk26dett

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
I dig the Royal Purple & don't believe every word or post on the internet. Guess we are all entitled to our own preferences & opinions. M1 also rocks, the original synthetic oil.

Laboratory analysis of oils posted by UNBIASED forum members are not opinions, some oils are proven to cause less wear than others in our motors. M1 is a good oil and i'm sure your car won't blow up if you run RP, but why would you when there are better cheaper options.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
blasian

Laboratory analysis of oils posted by UNBIASED forum members are not opinions, some oils are proven to cause less wear than others in our motors. M1 is a good oil and i'm sure your car won't blow up if you run RP, but why would you when there are better cheaper options.
+1

I linked the OP to that thread and I'm sure he can make his decision from there. Good deal of info there and was a big part of what I run in the Z now.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Thanks guys. Wow... I didn't know that RP 5W-30 didn't do that well.
And it is still inconclusive because they've changed their formula and the new batches seem better? I'd like to know how it is doing currently. I kinda regret having RP put in now...

Would it be okay that I switch to Amsoil for my next oil change? or should I switch now - even though I just had it changed yesterday. My main concern is engine protection...

So, in terms of oil preference, this is the recommended list? How would you guys rate these?
- Amsoil 2000 (which? 0W-30, 10W-30, 5W-30?)
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
- Mobil 1 5W-30
- Castro Syntec 5W-30
Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 AM
blasian

Amsoil (I think any of those weights are okay but possibly relative to climate?)
Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W30
Pennzoil Plat. 10W30
Mobil 1 Syn. 5W30

You should send your current oil in for analysis after you reach the mileage.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Resolute

sk26dett said it best here:

some oils are proven to cause less wear than others in our motors. M1 is a good oil and i'm sure your car won't blow up if you run RP, but why would you when there are better cheaper options.
xdrius, there is nothing wrong with you running RP in your engine. As I tried to make clear in the sticky, Nissan calls for an API certified oil within proper grade to be used in the VQ35. There are a whole slew of oils to pick from, obviously. ANY API-approved and certified oil within proper grade, like RP 5W-30, will be fine. Your engine won't explode, seize, or mutate using RP 5W-30. The only question is, is it really worth the money for you?

There is a pattern of oil analysis results that have some oils consistently performing better than others in terms of wear and shear stability. RP did change their formula and it is now showing much better UOA results than their previous blend of 5W-30. I would still say this:

Comparing the average wear results for RP 5W-30 versus some other oils, it makes a whole lot of sense to use Castrol GTX 5W-30 if you are changing your oil every 3-4k miles and not tracking the car. If you want to try a longer oil change interval, Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 are both cheaper than the RP with better wear results, and good for a 7k mile oil change interval in the VQ35. Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is also good for a 7k mile drain interval, and will do well for a driver who likes to auto-x and do occasional track days. Amsoil has several options, all of which will protect for really long oil changes of 10k miles or more. Amsoil SSO 0W-30 is not quite as robust as their older TSO 0W-30, so I wouldn't recommend it for track junkies, but will protect the VQ for 12k miles. I don't like any of the M1 blends except for the 0W-40 and TDT 5W-40. If you're paying M1 prices, those two are the best performing of the M1 line, although a 40 weight shouldn't be needed unless you're really seeing some decent track time or are FI. Same for Rotella T-Syn.

There are a whole bunch of options for you. Be honest about how you use your car, ignore the label and brand hype, and use what works best for your circumstances.

Will
Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

M1 0W-30 IS what I run...
Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

yeah M1 euro-blend
Old 07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

I'm a noob at synthetics too, but I used RP on my last oil change and believe it or not, my gas mileage jumped between 1 and 2 miles per gallon (I track my mileage based on gallons bought/miles driven and always fill up the car for you naysayers ). I'm not sure about all of the other qualities of the oil or how it compares to others, but I'm sure sold based on this fact. I'm going to try others in the future, but so far, I like the RP.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Originally Posted by Resolute
sk26dett said it best here:

xdrius, there is nothing wrong with you running RP in your engine. As I tried to make clear in the sticky, Nissan calls for an API certified oil within proper grade to be used in the VQ35. There are a whole slew of oils to pick from, obviously. ANY API-approved and certified oil within proper grade, like RP 5W-30, will be fine. Your engine won't explode, seize, or mutate using RP 5W-30. The only question is, is it really worth the money for you?

There is a pattern of oil analysis results that have some oils consistently performing better than others in terms of wear and shear stability. RP did change their formula and it is now showing much better UOA results than their previous blend of 5W-30. I would still say this:

Comparing the average wear results for RP 5W-30 versus some other oils, it makes a whole lot of sense to use Castrol GTX 5W-30 if you are changing your oil every 3-4k miles and not tracking the car. If you want to try a longer oil change interval, Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 are both cheaper than the RP with better wear results, and good for a 7k mile oil change interval in the VQ35. Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is also good for a 7k mile drain interval, and will do well for a driver who likes to auto-x and do occasional track days. Amsoil has several options, all of which will protect for really long oil changes of 10k miles or more. Amsoil SSO 0W-30 is not quite as robust as their older TSO 0W-30, so I wouldn't recommend it for track junkies, but will protect the VQ for 12k miles. I don't like any of the M1 blends except for the 0W-40 and TDT 5W-40. If you're paying M1 prices, those two are the best performing of the M1 line, although a 40 weight shouldn't be needed unless you're really seeing some decent track time or are FI. Same for Rotella T-Syn.

There are a whole bunch of options for you. Be honest about how you use your car, ignore the label and brand hype, and use what works best for your circumstances.

Will
Hey Will,

Thanks for the in-depth answer to my concern. It certainly makes more sense to me now. Since I'm a little **** with my car, and I prefer the best, I'd just like to make sure that I put in the best motor oil for my car at a reasonable price. Amsoil seems to do it for me now.

Which Amsoil motor oil would you recommend (my car has about 13K on it)? Do you know if there is an Amsoil distributor here in L.A.?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 PM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 German Castrol Syntec 5w-30

Quick Reply: Royal Purple... just a marketing hype?!