Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My tire feathering problem resolved..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 08:31 AM
jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tire feathering problem resolved..?

First noticed bad feathering on tires around 4500-5000 miles on the car. I had bad feathering on both front tires and some slight signs of wear on the rear tires as well.

Dealer performed a 4 wheel alignment and found that all 4 wheels were way off for toe alignment. At the time Nissan said the RE-040's were out of stock and would not get any for 6 months so my dealer managed to get me some S03's on all 4 corners

Since then I have put about 6500 miles on my car and just performed another tread wear analysis on my tires. Result -- the tires are wearing absolutely perfect. No sign of any unusual wear.

I don't know if I got lucky or what but I think the problem on MY CAR was a combination of toe and the bad RE-040's. Yes I do have the bouncy suspension also. As a side note, I noticed that the S03's have a much different tire shoulder design that appears much more stable and resistant to shape deformation. I think Nissan simply chose the wrong tire for this car.

Anyway I am crossing my fingers and hoping that the feathering does not come back, but right now I am a happy camper.

Good luck to all in the feathering quest...

Vin 725 -- picked up car Sept 1 '02. Current mileage is 13k
Old 08-11-2003, 10:32 PM
altima35

I experienced the same thing at around 4,000 miles. They came to the conclusion that the alignment was off and they realigned the front end and replaced the 2 front tires. Now some months later, it was about time for the 11,250 mile service and the problem returned. This of course really concerns me. Their solution was to realign the front end and cross rotate the tires. But they sent the car to a local tire place to have the work done rather than let their techs do it. And interestingly enough, they left a sheet in my car detailing the specs for alignment. Oddly enough the specs were for a 1999-2001 Nissan Altima. Go figure.

My concern now is that this is just another temporary fix and the problem will inevitably resurface... My faith in Nissan is about gone.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Zrated

Default Re: My tire feathering problem resolved..?

Originally posted by jelledge
First noticed bad feathering on tires around 4500-5000 miles on the car. I had bad feathering on both front tires and some slight signs of wear on the rear tires as well.

Dealer performed a 4 wheel alignment and found that all 4 wheels were way off for toe alignment. At the time Nissan said the RE-040's were out of stock and would not get any for 6 months so my dealer managed to get me some S03's on all 4 corners

Since then I have put about 6500 miles on my car and just performed another tread wear analysis on my tires. Result -- the tires are wearing absolutely perfect. No sign of any unusual wear.

I don't know if I got lucky or what but I think the problem on MY CAR was a combination of toe and the bad RE-040's. Yes I do have the bouncy suspension also. As a side note, I noticed that the S03's have a much different tire shoulder design that appears much more stable and resistant to shape deformation. I think Nissan simply chose the wrong tire for this car.

Anyway I am crossing my fingers and hoping that the feathering does not come back, but right now I am a happy camper.

Good luck to all in the feathering quest...

Vin 725 -- picked up car Sept 1 '02. Current mileage is 13k

Thats good to hear!

I had the feathering at 4000mls, also got a 4 wheel alignment, BUT still have the original tires.

2000mls later the high spots have scrubed off and the tires seem to be wearing normally.

I also have the bounce.