Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

A cry for help!! Z turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 AM
grudum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The verdict is in. Dealer states that its the fuel pump assembly. Thank jebus for that extended warrenty! (which expires next month or in about 3000 miles!) lol Good timing. I'll be out $50 bucks.

On a seperate note, the Dealer also stated that the rear diff is leaking somewhere and i'd have to replace the whole subframe as the gasket is unservicable. Quoted $1600. Wierd cause I havent seen a drop of anything on the driveway. I declined and will inspect once I get it back. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone for the input and I'll report back if the fuel pump was actually what the problem was.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
grudum

Dealer called. Car is up and running purring like a kitten and ready for pick-up. I'd say great service! Pinnacle Nissan in the dirty Dale....fyi.

/thread.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM
grudum

Thread revived....another incident today.

I was driving home and felt the engine "miss" when just motoring along..thought..hmmm..whats that. Then shortly later it was running rough and started pouring smoke out the exhaust and wouldnt accelerate. I stopped and the engine died. I restarted it and limped it home. Now it wont start at all and I can smell lots of fuel in the air.

Any guesses?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
KPierson
Banned

Did you have the crank angle sensor recall performed?

Also, what color is the smoke?

I would guess that the ECU is dumping fuel and that is what the smoke is from.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
grudum

The VIN didnt fall under the crank angle recall. Smoke was a bluish color. Car kinda chugged and bogged bad. Today it wont start and just clicks or its like the starter is grinding.

Is the Z going die before 100K?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
KPierson
Banned

If your crank angle sensor is bad it will take quite a while for the car to start (if at all).

It will also cause the car to run really bad.

It won't, however, explain the blue smoke.

It would cause the car to batch fire instead of sequential fire which could lead to black smoke (unburnt fuel), but not blue (oil).
Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 PM
cracka350z

Originally Posted by KPierson
If your crank angle sensor is bad it will take quite a while for the car to start (if at all).

It will also cause the car to run really bad.

It won't, however, explain the blue smoke.

It would cause the car to batch fire instead of sequential fire which could lead to black smoke (unburnt fuel), but not blue (oil).
isnt blue smoke a fried ring? i had that on my spec v.

and not to ninja..my car falls into the vin for the TSB on the CAS. it doesnt start half the times i try and its running like crap. the Crank Angle Sensor will most likely fix that? i figured it would just affect the starting. will they replace it under the TSB even though i have 115,XXX miles? or will i have to pay? cuz if so ill just buy one and replace it myself lol.

Last edited by cracka350z; 11-13-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
grudum

Ya..well, I'm pretty frustrated with the situation at this point. 2 significant problems within 2 weeks. Albeit, hopefully under warrenty, I still have to waste time on it. Not to mention the logistical problems getting places its causing me.

The smoke was definately a bluish/white. I turned off the car almost as soon as I noticed that, so i donno. It smelled like gas or oil i guess.

What does a fried ring get me? A new engine?

Last edited by grudum; 11-13-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:16 PM
cracka350z

Originally Posted by grudum
Ya..well, I'm pretty frustrated with the situation at this point. 2 significant problems within 2 weeks. Albeit, hopefully under warrenty, I still have to waste time on it. Not to mention the logistical problems getting places its causing me.

The smoke was definately a bluish/white. I turned off the car almost as soon as I noticed that, so i donno. It smelled like gas or oil i guess.

prolly. when i had my spec v, they didnt want to actually work on the internals..so they just replaced my motor...5 times lol.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it might not have been two problems it could be they just assumed it was your fuel pump... and yea they got it to start.... I would be leaning towards your spark still, whether it's a bad coil or bad tube seals. Have you pulled your coils out and check down the tube seals? specially with the miles you have I would think that your tube seals on your valve cover are bad. Causing oil to leak in on your spark plugs, causing the sluggish sputtering and no start... and yea if your car sat for awhile it could of started up and than oil flooded your plugs or coils again giving you the same result... also giving you the extra oil in your cylinders that your motor was trying to burn off, causing your bluish white smoke.... sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread lol....

Last edited by stealthz; 11-15-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 AM
BlackZ05

About to go threw the same problem, drove my car an it ran fine went back out to start it 4 hours later an it would just crack an the battery light was on all the time even with the car shut an locked. Waited for my brother to come home since he's my mechanic an by the time he got there the batter was dead. Put on a battery charger an it wont charge tried to jump it no good. So were gonna start with replacing the battery.

Update - Battery in but it just turns over its being moved to our shop now to get checked out. He's pretty sure its the crank sensor.

Last edited by BlackZ05; 11-17-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 PM
grudum

Car's at the dealer....I had the pleasure of towing it over there again. They have had it all day and I havent recieved a call yet. I don't think its as easy as the first time they had it. I think something bad happened. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM
grudum

So something went bad with an injector. It was spraying fuel in the motor quicker than the motor could burn....hence the bogging and smoke. Why?

A totally different issue than a bad fuel pump...which was the culpret last week.

Supposedly its up an running like normal. Anyone know of any long term damage fuel could cause when it gets in places it's not supposed to in the engine? They said they changed the oil twice to rinse out the excess fuel that was in there, but should i be worried about anything else?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
stealthz

well it can flush your cylinder walls... giving you a weaker compression motor... but the exposer you had I'm sure you'll be fine as long as your oil didn't have fuel in it too long and you weren't running it too hard, cause the only other thing I would worry about would be you rod and main bearings... like I said I'm sure you'll be fine, but if your really worried have them do a compression test on your motor.... and when you get it back listen for any kinda knocking noise from the motor.....
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 PM
BlackZ05

Mine's fixed it has to go back to nissan tomorrow though. Thankfully my brother/mechanic's good friend is a nissan Mech so he came over to our shop an saw noticed that my keys had a card pass on it. So here's the wierd reason my car wouldn't start nore attempt to turn off supposely. After looking at my keys an noticing i had a card pass which is a small little tab that i swap at a local private bar to get it which has a small magnet inside of it. After a year of being on my key chain it finally erased my key's signal so when my keys were taken over to nissan they did not read or produce a code. Both sets of keys had to be reset along with the car's which is supposely expansive but i still had to buy a battery caused mine died after 4 years of use. Hopefully this is the real reason an an when it goes back to the shop tomorrow it doesnt do anything stupid my brother had the car out tonight he said it runs great didn't seem to have problems starting up so hopefully thats it. The tow truck driver did panic on how to get my car onto the truck being its only 3 1/2 inchs which led to less time at the shop cause it took them awhile to figure out the tow hook was in the trunk an some wood an no one was smart enough to call me. Anyway hopefully everythings all cleared up, sorry to hear yours wasn't as easy grudum its good to know its fixed though. I'm sure you shouldn't have any engine problem from it in the future as steath said there was no over exposer to the motor it just happend.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
grudum

Picked it up and it drives fine. No knocks or anything unussual. Hopefully it works for at least another week and no long term damage occured.

They did a compression test and it checked out...

Thanks for the input fella's!!

Blackz05...that was a tough read, but it sound like the imobilizer was giving you trouble. Hope you get it worked out and its all good. Towing these cars isnt fun.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM
stealthz

so you guys don't feel left out.... this seems to fit lol (My cooling fan motor fried it's self and started smoking pretty bad and I didn't know what it was so I towed my z back to my house, until I could fix it of course) yea it definitely isn't too fun.......

you'll notice two trucks the first guy thought he was going to be able to tow it with that truck... I laughed and waited for the flatbed...
Attached Thumbnails A cry for help!! Z turns over but wont start-350z-towed.jpg  
Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
grudum

that sucks man. good luck with the fix. your ride looks sick!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
stealthz

that sucks man. good luck with the fix. your ride looks sick!
thanks... Yea I already got it fixed, but I was surprised that the fan assembly is $500+ ....o well had to pay it lol
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM
BlackZ05

Why do the guys with cherry pickers always think they can tow rear will drive sports cars.

Quick Reply: A cry for help!! Z turns over but wont start