Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problem with horn.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 PM
GonZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with horn.

I've ready searched and looked through all two pages of result and I'm still stumped. My horn is not working and I can't figure out why. The fuse is good and it still work when I lock the door or use the panic button, but it won't work when I pressed down on the steering wheel. I took the airbag out to see if the plate it attached to actually make contact with ground this closing the circuit and enables the horn. Everything looked to be in order but I ccouldnt test to see if the circuit was closed when the plate made contact as you're not suppose to hook up the battery without the airbag on.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
sofakingdope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem so I took it to a shop and was told that there is some relay switch or something called a cork or screw (generic names) that is faulty. Its in the shop right now so I havent been able to really talk to them other than to hear that it would cost 800+ dollars to repair......I will post details when I find out the acutal part name and what it does.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
GonZ

Originally Posted by sofakingdope
I'm having the same problem so I took it to a shop and was told that there is some relay switch or something called a cork or screw (generic names) that is faulty. Its in the shop right now so I havent been able to really talk to them other than to hear that it would cost 800+ dollars to repair......I will post details when I find out the acutal part name and what it does.
I'm sure I can hook up an aftermarket horn for less than that. 800??? wow...that is out of this world. The only related relay i can think of is the horn relay, that's about it but please keep me updated.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 AM
albinobob

In the service manual diagrams there is a low and high horn I would assume the low horn is used for indicating the doors are locked and the high horn is used to tell people they are being retarded. I don't know if there are 2 physical horns but in the scematics it looks that way so you might try digging under the hood.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 AM
sofakingdope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so here is what I know. I believe the relay that called the coil spring or something and its located in the stearing column. The reason why it is so expensive to replace is because its the relay for everything in the dash (this is all coming to me third party so if its wrong, sorry). They showed me where the problem was and the part required to fix it (800.00 price tag).

We were able to get the horn working by dissabling it from the relay and running some wires to a button that I mounted under the dash. That way the car passes inspection. Thats really all I needed because I never use my horn. I hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
albinobob

Hey man looking over the schematics it looks like your problem is either in the horn switch (the one in the steering wheel) or in your spiral cable (That’s in the steering wheel also) my money is on the spiral cable. Your horns and horn relay are good and the horn relay drive supplied from the IPDM (I think this is the $800 part sofakingdope was talking about) is good as well. Other wise the horns would not work at all. I would get to the spiral cable and ohm it out to see if it is good or not. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 AM
GonZ

Originally Posted by albinobob
Hey man looking over the schematics it looks like your problem is either in the horn switch (the one in the steering wheel) or in your spiral cable (That’s in the steering wheel also) my money is on the spiral cable. Your horns and horn relay are good and the horn relay drive supplied from the IPDM (I think this is the $800 part sofakingdope was talking about) is good as well. Other wise the horns would not work at all. I would get to the spiral cable and ohm it out to see if it is good or not. Good luck.
This is what i'm leaning toward as well, I'll check it out. When I hit the panic button, both horns will go off so I know they're working properly, but somewhere along the line the power from the the steering wheel just doesn't deliver.