Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

For anyone with the intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
videodrone83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 touring and Ive had the same issue since I bought it (used). Randomly it would not start i take the key out, do it a couple of times and it would finally start up. First I thought it only did it after I take long trips in the car but thats not true, I dont really see any pattern with it. Ive taken it to a local shop and had a DC check on the car and they saw no shorts or anything, no diagnostic codes, just that my battery needed to be replaced, but of course that didnt fix it either. I tried using my spare key as well and that was no luck. I still have a stock system in my car as well and my 2 front speakers in the door blew, 1 kinda works on the passenger, the 2 back speakers never worked. BUT sometimes when I turn the car on, the back speaker on the passenger side works, dunno wtf is the deal with that. I just figured it was all related and I was saving up to take it to an electric automotive shop so they can fix it all once and for all and then ill buy a new stereo system.....
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
r6rider2987

Default update

My nissan dealer had my car for 8 hours on saturday and could not find the lo jack. Today I dropped the car off and they brought out someone from lo jack who found it wired in with one of the rear taillights. It is now out of the car and I can only hope that this was the problem. I will report back and tell all if this fixed my car or not. Hopefully this was the issue atleast for my car but, I will know soon.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
videodrone83

Is lo jack listed on the invoice when you purchased your car? I dont think mine had it listed
Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
r6rider2987

i am the 2nd owner of the car, the 1st owner had it installed shortly after he bought the car. it could have nothing to do with the problem but the service manager and i are trying everything to fix it.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
neosolipsism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a similar issue myself. Doesn't always want to crank up. Acts like a dead battery at first (slow to turn), but then picks up to normal speed. Sometimes it doesn't fire, sometimes it does. About a 90% it won't crank after its been sitting for a few hours. If I try to restart after only being off a few seconds there's no issue. Pulled codes and came up with NATS and IAT voltage. Replaced the MAF/IAT sensor and still no luck. Battery voltage reads okay, but fixing to replace it anyway.

But to any who have this problem... Next time it won't crank, pop your hood, unplug the MAF/IAT sensor (connects just behind the airbox), then plug it back in. If I do this, it will crank right up (still takes a few extra turns than usual though). This would lead me to believe that the IAT has something to do with it, but like I said I've replaced the IAT and all voltages coming off the sensor plug match up to OEM spec.

My mechanic suggests reprogramming the ECM @ Nissan to relearn the IAT range. But I'm confused as to what the hell NATS has to do with the IAT/MAF sensor. I have no aftermarket alarm or lo-jack type system, but I do have an aftermartet stereo and I notice that my FM reception is extremely shitty. Will look into the power antenna idea.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM
jdella681

Well just a recap on my issue. Haven't had a problem when I filled my tank so I don't know what it is. But when I had the problem the engine turns fine with no issues but it just doesn't wanna turn on for some reason. Although I forgot to mention that I changed my air filter to a k&n dropin and didn't unplug the battery or reset anything. It makes sense to me but Could that be a possible cause too?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Nope; a drop-in K&N won't cause that. Hope you solve the issue soon, dude.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
RetchedOne

Hmmm...

I just got my 2005 Touring yesterday... I havent had it happen yet.. but now you got me all freaked out...

Does it typically start after a few tries?

Will it turn over and just not fire, or not even turn over on key turn?

Geeze...
Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
r6rider2987

Default update

well i guess the lo jack had nothing to do with the problem because today it did it again....im trading the car in on a 2006 g35 cpe and will be having it checked asap for the oil consumption at a local infiniti dealer....good luck to all of you with the problem, i did everything i could ever think of to fix it and i think if your car does it there is no fix....
Old 05-13-2009, 03:32 AM
vdemon311

Default 2004 base with 82,000 miles

I am the original owner of this car and have had this problem for about 6 months now ( approximately the past 15,000 miles). Sometimes it would start and sometimes it would begin to start, but fail. On and off I would have this problem with absolutely no pattern. I've tried switching to a different key and this would fix the problem 4/10 times. I've tried unplugging and plugging the battery terminals back in and this would work 4/10 times. In conclusion, I have tried everything and the problem still remains. 70% of the time my car starts and the rest of the time... well you know you get that horrible noise and then the cursing starts. Maybe 30 minutes and 100 turns of the key later it might go on until today. For the past 2 hours, I have been trying everything to get my car started and it just won't go. I am going to try to get a new battery and possibly change the spark plugs because some threads say this might be the cause. If anyone finds a solutions or atleast any insight to a solution plleaaaaaaaaseeee post. good luck to all with the same garbage of a problem on there beautiful 350z.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM
candyman7

how do i know if my car has lo jack?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM
neosolipsism

New battery officially fixed my problem. Pulled the Optima Yellowtop out of my truck and put it in there (which was a huge PITA) and sure enough it cranks 100% of the time now. Weird, considering the voltage wasn't really off, and if the battery was dead you would assume the thing would never crank. I guess the battery somehow affects the NATS, because my car was indeed throwing a code on it every few days, and the NATS failure in turn was preventing it from cranking it.

No idea really. Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Caliking350z

So I just started experiencing the same thing: Dead Z! I have an 05 35th Anniversary Edition 29,000 miles, stock bose system, no aftermarket alarm/lo jack, dont always fill my gas tank all the way, so wouldnt know about that. The first time it happened it was in the morning on my way to work. I tried about ten turns and finally turned on. Then again after work. As i was calling AAA, i finally got it to turn on (phew!). I always use chevron gasoline (91 or course), and added some zmax fuel treatment on my last fill. This is where i am today. I think on the safe side i am going to take my car into the dealership and see if they can detect anything. Ill let you know where i get in the coming weeks. Really sucks this is happening, but it doesnt sound like an isolated case. Those of us with warranties, lets find the answer so we can share with others in our situation. Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please don't use fuel additives with this car. High-quality fuel has all the additives your car will ever need.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
videodrone83

Mine never went away although when it does it now I do notice a check engine light coming on..... before when I took it to the shop it would never throw any codes
Old 06-10-2009, 04:48 PM
videodrone83

Mine has been doing it almost 2 years now since i bought the car. Ive kinda gotten used to it im just scared to put an audio system in my car since the speakers blow 1 by 1, the stock ones. And its embarrassing to happen in front of people, other then that the car is fine....i should just go buy a new camaro :-(
Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
jdella681

what i've been doing that my dealership recommends is when putting the key in, before starting the car leave the key in the "ON" position for a couple of beeps (I just wait after the third beep) then start it. So far so good.. hopefully this will help some of you.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM
videodrone83

It maybe the serpentine belt, what do you guys think? could this cause the problems. Im going to get it fixed tommorow if it doesnt cost too much
Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Caliking350z

Update- Well its been happening again. So random! It drives me crazy to think at any point of the day, if i am going to shut my car down, will it start again on the first crank? Well im definitely going to the dealer soon. I have an 05 35th anniversary with ~30,000 miles. I read a thread on another z site, and found a similar car/issue (with an actual solution!). Here is the thread quote: "I have a 2005 Z roadster with 55k miles. For the past month sometimes it wouldn't start. Everything was getting to the engine in good shape, fuel, fire, and air. I'd have to sit and wait for 5 ~ 10 minutes then it would start on the second try. Today it wouldn't start on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th try so I had it towed to the Nissan dealer. It took them all day, but they found the problem. The "Smart Control Entrance Unit" went south on me. I don't know too much about electronics, but here's what I'm to understand. The chip in the ignition key send a signal to the entrance units (which has an antenna) when you insert the key and start the car. The antenna passes the signal to the entrance unit which allows the car to start. My antenna died. They eliminated the chip in the key as a culprit because the problem had been intermittent to that point."

I will print this thread and take it with me, so the dealer doesn't think im making things up. Ill let you know what all happens as soon as i get back. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Caliking350z

whats funny is that has happened to me too. I was at work, and once ready to leave for the day, my Z would not start. Tried everything. My co-workers helped me push it into a parking spot, and then as im calling AAA, i put my key in one more time, and magically, it started! phew! was able to get home. One thing i do know, is that if you turn ON your alarm, then turn it OFF, put the key in the ignition, turn, and will ALWAYS turn on. At least for me. I KNOW that the security on the car is what is causing this, but reading into it, its one of three things: Keys, "Smart Control Entrance Unit", or the antenna.

Quick Reply: For anyone with the intermittent starting problem