Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

okay sugesstions for keeping a z in the winter as an every day'er

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
mikeyiii1112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay sugesstions for keeping a z in the winter as an every day'er

now i no that its not such a good idea and even the thought of taking that chance of letting it touch snow isnt so good i preety much dont have a choice. moneys tight now and i reallllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy dnt wanna sell it. so what i was wonder is what i should do besides get good tire. or if im just dreaming and have no chance at pulling thiss off. let me know/ tell me if youve done the same
Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyiii1112
Now i no that its not such a good idea and even the thought of taking that chance of letting it touch snow isnt so good i pretty much dont have a choice. moneys tight now and i reallllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy dont wanna sell it. so what i was wonder is what i should do besides get good tires. or if im just dreaming and have no chance at pulling thiss off. let me know/ tell me if youve done the same
I've been driving my G35 Coupe year round for 4 years now and am proud of it! In fact, I make it a point to drive the car IN the snow covered roads to and from work when SUVs and family sedans are getting stuck.

It's all about being careful about your driving. Leave plenty more space between cars and no sudden weight shifts with either pedal or steering wheel. Don't get high centered when the plows come rolling through the corners. Check traction with the steering wheel before committing to a corner. When you find yourself driving tired keep the VDC on. Lastly, invest in a set of used Z or G wheels to mount quality snow tires on. That part you shouldn't cut corners with. I plan on using my Bridgestone LM-22 snow tires for maybe it's last season. There are many more good choices out there. I drive past your area to go skiing in the Poconos in my G. Good luck. It's easy to be a year round driving enthusiast!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Polska350Z

idk im to scared the roads and drivers are bad enough in new york im not gonna risk drving in the snow my Z is guna b hibernating in the garage....for then ill have my dads car 4matic S550
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 PM
VQdriver

More things you can do before it freezes: regular maintenance like fluid changes, wash, claybar and seal around this time of year when the weather is good so it will be ready to handle the salt treated roads. Keep a good layer of rain-X on your windows so rain, snow and ice won't stick as much. If you know snow and ice are coming put your wipers up when it's parked so you're not the last one at the parking lot digging your wipers and windshield free. I'm really bored, but thanks for helping me remember the things I need to check off my "to do" list lol.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
R350Zz33

put some weight in the back go to home depot and buy like 200lbs or so of sand that
+ snow tires u should be fine remember front and back are a must i ran my z on stock bald tires in the winter was a must because i was poor and well thats the only reason.but my friend used snow tires m3's or somthing and sand and he said it worked perfect
Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible but not recommended.. You might want to put winter washer fluid in, winter wiper blades maybe.. Lol.. Really good tires.. Buy a beater!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM
mikeyiii1112

haha thnx for the tipps
Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
VQdriver

Originally Posted by Polska350Z
idk im to scared the roads and drivers are bad enough in new york im not gonna risk drving in the snow my Z is guna b hibernating in the garage....for then ill have my dads car 4matic S550
If you don't have the proper tires for cold weather driving do not attempt it. You won't get very far I promise you. Don't settle for crappy all season tires either. The concept of an all season tire is a ripoff to me. That being said I'd rather drive my G with Blizzak snow tires than your daddy's heavy S class.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
mikeyiii1112

blizzak all the way around? and some one told me i should try pulling a lil weight in the back is that true or is it gunna mae it worse when the rear breaks loose..... i was thinking about taking the spare out and getting like 2 50 lb sand bags and then putting the cover back over it so u cant even tell........
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
dhays

Get some cheap rims that are very narrow, 7-7.5 inches. Put really good snow tires on them and hope for the best. Then save your money for a winter car.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
SnyzzleZ

ull be alright if u dont drive dumb.. find a cheap set of 17s with blizzaks on craiglist or something.. Seen some sets on there around $600 before
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 AM
enjoichris01

Yea man invest in a good set of winter wheels and don't be stupid driving in poor conditions and u will be fine. Oh and don't forget to protect that paint clay bar the crap out of it, then finish her off with like 5 coats of zymol. She will look pearl all winter.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 AM
bluelineshooter

Slow and easy. You'll be fine.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 AM
F34RL355
Banned

Originally Posted by Polska350Z
get your dad to buy you your own winter beater as well
Old 10-28-2009, 05:20 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
Slow and easy. You'll be fine.
Tires and technique will get you through several inches of snow.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Before you know, all the preparation costs (right tires and rims etc) can buy you a beater.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Parker01

With proper tires any car can make it through the snow. I hate the idea of a Z being driven in the winter :'(.

Put some proper grammar/punctuation into your future posts. It's rediculous trying to read that jargon... It doesn't have to be perfect but no capital letter at the start of a sentence is just being lazy, everyone knows it belongs there.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Jgrizzle

Rediculous
Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 AM
ny garbage_juice

Originally Posted by mikeyiii1112
now i no that its not such a good idea and even the thought of taking that chance of letting it touch snow isnt so good i preety much dont have a choice. moneys tight now and i reallllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy dnt wanna sell it. so what i was wonder is what i should do besides get good tire. or if im just dreaming and have no chance at pulling thiss off. let me know/ tell me if youve done the same
im in the same postion as you. PRAY and BE CAREFUL, you should be OK.

Ive made it thru 3 NY winters and the last one i had summer tires on.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Wu-Watt

Dont put weight in the back because that will increase the effect of the rear end moving around.
I have a s14 winter car and it can even be a handful at times. I slid around alot just to get the feel for that car in the snow.
After that I could get the tires spinnin at like 90kmh and drive outa it.. I didnt do it with anyone in the car because I didnt want to put their lives in danger, but I got pretty good at it.

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 10-28-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: okay sugesstions for keeping a z in the winter as an every day'er