Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Is my clutch hitting something? (not the regular chatter)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 AM
JMSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch hitting something? (not the regular chatter)

Imagine an old-style cd player or playstation that required you to place a disc on the middle support so it wouldn't move up or down when it spun around.

Now imagine that the middle support broke and the disc began spinning with a wobble close enough to hit a surface or scratch. But apply that to the clutch.

That's the best way to explain what's coming out of my transmission area. Clutch chatter is in all our cars and I noticed that after I bought it. This is quite different, as it is never has a consistent frequency of occurrence or intensity of sound. It rattles hard enough to make a noise in and outside the car as well as transfer the feeling of the noise into the clutch pedal. So basically I can hear it in addition to feel it in the pedal. Unfortunately, it never makes the noise when I take it in to the dealership for warranty (go figure).

I have an 06 6MT with 38k. Any help would be appreciated so I can be more informed next time I take it in.

EDIT - Sorry guys. The sound occurs most noticeably when idling or the car is in neutral. If I am sitting still, it doesn't matter if I leave the clutch out or in, the noise still occurs. Also, if I listen closely I can hear it as the revs drop when I put the car in neutral after cruising in gear.

Last edited by JMSpeed; 02-25-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the clutch is making an unusual noise, it will have to be disassembled and inspected.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
JoEdaGiGGoLo

Does it only when the car sits idle (neutral)? If so, I believe our cars do both.

If sitting neutral with clutch out of gear, when waiting a couple of seconds you hear like a "clonking" noise? And once you hear it...it takes a couple of seconds again to hear it again. Like its revolving. My rpm jumps up a little too when I hear the clunking noise.

Car = about 33,000 miles.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 AM
JMSpeed

Originally Posted by davidv
If the clutch is making an unusual noise, it will have to be disassembled and inspected.
I understand. It just unfortunately never makes the noise when I take it in, because I can't predict when it will happen. They always tell me the same clutch chatter story, which I am aware of.

Does it only when the car sits idle (neutral)? If so, I believe our cars do both.

If sitting neutral with clutch out of gear, when waiting a couple of seconds you hear like a "clonking" noise? And once you hear it...it takes a couple of seconds again to hear it again. Like its revolving. My rpm jumps up a little too when I hear the clunking noise.

Car = about 33,000 miles.
It's not predictable like that. But, a clonking noise I do agree with. It only makes the noise when in neutral regardless of car speed. For example... I'll be driving in gear then have to put the car in neutral to stop for a red light. As soon as I put it in neutral, the noise occurs and actually sounds like an exhaust gurgling as if I were to have a straight through setup. Except, the noise comes from the transmission.

Last edited by JMSpeed; 02-26-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:31 AM
JoEdaGiGGoLo

Hmm,

Mine makes the noise when in neutral too BUT I haven't checked to see if the noise occurs even when the car is rolling to a stop. I only check when the car is completely stopped.

My noise is also coming from the front engine bay. But I'm not sure if from the tranny. Although it does make the clunking noise and the rev goes up just a tad and bit back down everytime the clunk happens. Does your rpm go up too or you haven't checked/notice.

It isn't that loud BUT just a little loud enough to hear it inside the car and outside. When the clunk occurs, do you feel your car move/jump a little? Besides only in the clutch pedal.

So your's is not as predictable as mine I guess? It happens every couple of seconds ~ I haven't timed it but it seems like every 8~10 secs.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:06 PM
JMSpeed

Sorry I haven't responded. Notifications were turned off

The car doesn't move or jump. Just vibrates the pedal. In the clip below, the noise actually subsided before I was able to start recording. Also, I tried recording the sound from outside the car but all you could hear was the motor and clutch chatter.

Anyway. I made a sound clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOzHEtOMfOM

Last edited by JMSpeed; 03-05-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:10 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorta sounds like a bad/worn out DMF.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 AM
JMSpeed

Sorry. I'm not sure what you are referring to except maybe my flywheel?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:38 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

DMF= Dual mass flywheel, When they go bad they knock.
Here is your fix..
No more knocking