Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

What is the proper way of storing my Z for a few years?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 AM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the proper way of storing my Z for a few years?

It is a tough decision for me to do this but by June of this year I will be occupied doing some new work. My vehicle registration ends in June and so is my insurance. I won't be renewing it. She is going to be park in the garage for possible 2 or 3 years depending on the situation.

My question is what is the best way to store my vehicle for that long? Disconnect battery? Drain fliud?

Thanks I appreciate all your feedback

~Robert
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 AM
ericjackson

dont know about the fluids. but def put it on jack stands
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM
oscatipo

Originally Posted by ericjackson
dont know about the fluids. but def put it on jack stands
Not a good idea for an extended storage.... this will cause damage to the suspension. Best to leave the car on the ground.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Z'd

If there is power, use a battery tender- if not disconnect.

Crank up the tire pressure to at least 50 psi and use rigid foam insulation (blueboard) under each tire.

For winter storage, I fill the tank and leave it. For something 2-3 years, I would probably leave it closer to empty, but add some Seafoam, as the gas will turn over that long period. Run the car after you add the Seafoam to get the mixture in the lines. When you finally prepare to start it. Add several gallons of fresh gas first.

I would also do a fresh oil change now.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Fukuda

I know when i store the z for the winter i do the following:

Full tank of gas and i add fuel stabilizer
Full detail (polish and wax etc)- if its parked inside a garage you might consider an indoor car cover to prevent dust from settling
Remove Battery
Over inflate tires and leave on ground - i have a non heated garage so i usually lay carpet down to absorb some of the temperature transfer from the concrete to the tires. Don't put on jack stands in case of emergency and you have to move it quickly. I also roll the car every few months to prevent tire deformity. Most of the is excessive, I'm just very conservative.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM
duro78

Originally Posted by oscatipo
Not a good idea for an extended storage.... this will cause damage to the suspension. Best to leave the car on the ground.
if the car is on jack stands and theres no load on the suspension how would that damage it
Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
LaoSiFu

Okay sounds good I have an idea now. As for the battery when I do remove it. Over time does that battery just die or just need a charge? Asking because I bought it brand new a few months ago and I wonder does it become trash another not in use. As for the seaform not too familiar with it. I have heard of it. So I would do it before storing correct? Just wanted to confirm that information.

~Robert
Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
oscatipo

Originally Posted by duro78
if the car is on jack stands and theres no load on the suspension how would that damage it
By leaving it on stands, you are leaving the suspension bushings "stretched" for an extended period of time, accelerating their deterioration.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Z'd

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
Okay sounds good I have an idea now. As for the battery when I do remove it. Over time does that battery just die or just need a charge? Asking because I bought it brand new a few months ago and I wonder does it become trash another not in use. As for the seaform not too familiar with it. I have heard of it. So I would do it before storing correct? Just wanted to confirm that information.

~Robert
Seafoam is like Sta-Bil but far superior. You will find it in auto parts stores or farm stores. Yes, add an appropriate amount and run the Z for 10 minutes or so.

As for the battery, it will slowly discharge over time and then not recover. Only deep cycle batteries are designed to substantially drain and recover.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:46 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell the car and buy something when you get finished with whatever you're doing for three years.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Robert...I'll...umm, "store" it for you...I'll even start it up and take it for a drive every day, lol...

But seriously, good luck with what you're up to...I know you're saving for that supercharger, right?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by 350z006
Hey Robert...I'll...umm, "store" it for you...I'll even start it up and take it for a drive every day, lol...

But seriously, good luck with what you're up to...I know you're saving for that supercharger, right?
haha nice try Haris I am not that desperate to store my car

Thanks it wasn't easy for me to do this. I will be sad that I have to drive either my Tacoma or Fit now. I will probably just modify the Fit just so I have some sort of fun in my life haha.

Psssh I got a saving for a supercharger, a saving for my paint job and a saving for interior work... this car is a never ending goal for me

I will PM you shortly about the locks.

~Robert