Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

CHECK ENGINE, SLIP and TCS LIGHT is on! PLS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 AM
nachospizza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me two times in three weeks already!!! Before only CEL, TCS OFF and SLIP on!!!! Today alot of the lights came on and my car just stall!!!! I wonder if this is because like two years ago I replaced two aftermarket camshaft and crank sensors???? Should I replaced back the OEM sensors instead??? Today first attempt it is hard to crank up, but after I turn it off again and turn it back on it crank up and then drive normal... so I drive back home immediately!!!! Then only CEL light is on!!!!

Last edited by nachospizza; 04-03-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 PM
dannyt40

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
Did you point this out to them before you left Midas's lot? They will probably give you hassle if not
Never take your car to Midas, they screw up on my brakes 3 times and still couldn't fix it. I talked to the owner and he still couldn't fix it.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 AM
cincysilvias14

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jblz
I cant help you with the mechanics, but I would certainly hold their feet to the fire. "We don't know what went wrong" is not an excuse. There is no excuse in this case, only a result...that your car had better come out like it went in...no matter what it takes, and it sounds like the responsibility is on them.

This may be a case for a regional manager, someone who isn't personally involved in that particular shop. Good luck
+1
Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyt40
Never take your car to Midas, they screw up on my brakes 3 times and still couldn't fix it. I talked to the owner and he still couldn't fix it.
brakes are one of the easiest things to do.... shows your mechanical inclination
Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM
nachospizza

OK so I replaced both Camshaft position sensors and now my car runs great and no more sudden died down on the road!!! I believe one of the aftermarket camshaft position sensor I replaced two years ago are gone... so this time I replaced both OEM Nissan sensors!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:16 PM
350z_z33.

Default SLIP & VDC lights. No throttle response... anyone?

So I got a problem on my 05 Z, at first it was some problems after connecting the battery, and both the stock and aftermarket alarms would go off. Fixed that, but I also got another problem, not sure if its in limp mode, but I get a really bad throttle response in park (yes its an automatic but its still a Z!) and no throttle response in drive or "D". I can barley make it up to 3k RPM (in park). The car is throwing a VDC and SLIP light. Also the car has no front brakes, so brake light is on. But back on track. So when I changed and cleaned out the TB, I got a really loud and high rpm start, and if I held the throttle for about 5 seconds, I could get up to 6k and up, but now its back to the same after the second start. I checked the bank 1 CPS and it looks fine, but cant find the bank 2 CPS. I just wanted to check them even though when I connect the OBD 2 reader, I get no codes. Could this possibly be the computer? The previous owner told me that he had the ecu reflashed for bigger injectors, but never got to actually adding them. I have 2 ecu's not sure which is for the bigger injectors, but one of them gets the car started, but the other one only cranks. Any idea which is which? Also I don't get codes from each of the computers. Any help would be appreciated greatly!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an 05 Z with 08 nismo rims and brembo brakes and auto trans. My TCS, Slip, and CEL came on a few weeks ago while driving in stop and go traffic. The car stalled but started up although it cranked for a few seconds before starting which is unusual. The car seemed a bit sluggish but it revs throughout the rev range. I check my brake fluid and it is fine. I had not done any work on the car so I'm not sure what triggered this. I have seen a variety of possibilities such as cam position sensor, knock sensor, ABS sensor, etc. Without replacing all those sensors, what is the best way to determine what is causing this problem? I believe it is throwing a 0340 code
Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I have an 05 Z with 08 nismo rims and brembo brakes and auto trans. My TCS, Slip, and CEL came on a few weeks ago while driving in stop and go traffic. The car stalled but started up although it cranked for a few seconds before starting which is unusual. The car seemed a bit sluggish but it revs throughout the rev range. I check my brake fluid and it is fine. I had not done any work on the car so I'm not sure what triggered this. I have seen a variety of possibilities such as cam position sensor, knock sensor, ABS sensor, etc. Without replacing all those sensors, what is the best way to determine what is causing this problem? I believe it is throwing a 0340 code
camshaft sensor... replace both with oem
Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by travlee
camshaft sensor... replace both with oem
I would think the car wouldnt run if the CPS was bad.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:21 PM
travlee
Master

I would think the car wouldnt run if the CPS was bad.
May not be completely bad.... classic symptoms of them going, randomly die and takes longer to start, which you have
Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM
DeusExMaxima

Just called the stealership.....$130?????
Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM
travlee
Master

Heard horror stories of people replacing with autozone sensors and had some issue.

Try courtesyparts.com
Old 01-06-2016, 03:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Just called the stealership.....$130?????
Heard horror stories of people replacing with autozone sensors and had some issue.

Try courtesyparts.com
Deus, don't cheap out on what are pretty much "proprietary" sensors - albeit available at chain stores. Not worth doing it once then having to do it again... at higher expense and down time.

I worked for one of those chains and saw my fair share of returned (or I should say "tried to return but failed cuz they're considered 'electrical' parts"). Just belly up to the bar and order the Patron.

Mic
Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM
travlee
Master

Patron is gross btw
Old 01-06-2016, 04:33 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

My slip light and vdc light came on randomly on Saturday. It shut off after I shut off and started the car again but don't have the warm and fuzzies about it.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:37 PM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Deus, don't cheap out on what are pretty much "proprietary" sensors - albeit available at chain stores. Not worth doing it once then having to do it again... at higher expense and down time.

I worked for one of those chains and saw my fair share of returned (or I should say "tried to return but failed cuz they're considered 'electrical' parts"). Just belly up to the bar and order the Patron.

Mic
It looks like I got the wrong one because Bank 1 is passenger side apparently is that correct? If that is the case I did get the wrong one which is the one that is at a right angle. Also I did cheap out and went to a foreign car auto parts store and they sold me a Beck Arnley part and it was half the cost of the OEM part

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 01-07-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:23 AM
DeusExMaxima

I exchanged the wrong sensor for the correct one this morning. Its made by Hitachi. The end looks different...its shiny and cylindrical instead of rectangular and black plastic. Is this ok?

This is a pic of what it looks like:
Name:  campossens_zpseuv82pht.jpeg
Views: 7024
Size:  4.1 KB
Old 01-07-2016, 10:50 AM
travlee
Master

i wouldnt think it makes a difference.... try it out. courtesy parts has them for $97
Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 PM
DeusExMaxima

i wouldnt think it makes a difference.... try it out.
It took 10 minutes to install...very easy. I used a 10mm wrench for the bolt and CAAAAAAAREFULLY remove it so it doesnt drop into the black hole and disappear forever. The sensor came out of its hole easily. I used vicegrips to squeeze the connector and remove the connector from the sensor. Then I connected the new sensor to the connector and positioned it in the hole and rotated the bolt hole so it was over the threaded hole of the head. To me this next part was difficult as you have to make sure you get that bolt into the hole straight so that it bites into the threads correctly and make sure you do not drop that bolt into the black hole. Once the bolt catches on the threads and tightens up I hand tightened it and then used the 10 millimeter wrench to tighten it down firmly. I cleared the check engine light by doing the pedal dance. When I fired up the engine there was no check engine light or any other of the other lights and the car ran beautifully. A short test drive triggered no check engine light or any other lights. Success.
The following users liked this post:
laneb101 (04-23-2022)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM
travlee
Master

now give it a couple days to make sure it doesn't return.... but i think you got it

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE, SLIP and TCS LIGHT is on! PLS HELP