Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Start problems watch video to hear

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
G35cTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start problems watch video to hear

OK I shot this w/ my cell so the quality isn't great but can hear how the car sounds on start up. Just changed the 2 cam sensors and crank position sensor and battery, had a small 680 Odessey battery that would always drain from not driving enough. Threw codes P0340, p0345. swapped the cam sensors after it quit starting. then it started after cranking 4 or so sec one day ran great went home next day it quit. It then threw a crank sensor code so replaced. Now it just makes this sound on start up. No codes being thrown. Is this a bad starter?

start up video
Old 08-07-2010, 03:25 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

video won't play
Old 08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
c0ld29

it played for me, sounds naaaaaaasty basically like when you start the car and the starter engages the flywheel, but it keeps doing constantly that sound instead of starting up.

At least thats what it sounded like from my computer lol
Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 PM
raycs7

I made a comment on the other thread about this sound.
LMK what you find.
It happened to me ...very same.
Charged the new battery and it now cranks normal, but will not fire.
The 03 needed a more powerful battery. My 04 battery will not work everytime.
My car is a 03 track with low low miles.
Only mod is JWT filter, bored out and polished TB and silicone intake tube, all changed 4 years and 20 miles ago....lol
Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 AM
G35cTT

Video should work if you have quicktime installed. Might have to save it and open with quicktime. I took it with my cell so it's not the greatest quality.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 AM
G35cTT

Originally Posted by c0ld29
it played for me, sounds naaaaaaasty basically like when you start the car and the starter engages the flywheel, but it keeps doing constantly that sound instead of starting up.

At least thats what it sounded like from my computer lol

That is exactly what it sounds like.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
G35cTT

Pulled the starter today took it to Autozone and Kragen just to make sure the starter is OK and it passed the testing at the 2 stores. Teeth on starter and flywheel look ok, I did sort see a little tiny bit of wear on one tooth nothing to where it shouldn't start.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Time is a program from hell. I'll pass on viewing anything that uses it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 PM
G35cTT

Tried a new used starter from ebay and same results. Not sure what else to try.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:27 PM
G35cTT

Got help today to bump start the car and it fired right up no problem. Drove around for 30 or so min came back and it fires right up. Going to try to start it later on and tomorrow see if same issue arises. Weird how it starts up being warm.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
demundus

I had a problem warm starting my car, i didnt listen tot he video cause i hate quicktime... but if it just sits and trys hard to start and sounds ok, btu just wont start double check your camshaft position sensors. Mine happened to be loose and would NEVER start when the car was hot. huge pain...

Just double check that all the bolts are tightened, thats all i can contribute
Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 AM
G35cTT

Originally Posted by demundus
I had a problem warm starting my car, i didnt listen tot he video cause i hate quicktime... but if it just sits and trys hard to start and sounds ok, btu just wont start double check your camshaft position sensors. Mine happened to be loose and would NEVER start when the car was hot. huge pain...

Just double check that all the bolts are tightened, thats all i can contribute

I initially had that issue so swapped out all sensors but then ran into this next problem where it'll bump start and after warmed up it fires right up no problem but after it cools down maybe 4hrs or so later it does not start. The video sounds like the starter spinning not engaging the flywheel but when pulling the starter it tests fine and no damage. Today I'm going to try to clean the connection to the starter see if it makes any diff.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 AM
demundus

if its mechanically ok via independent testing, then you need to start focusing on something electrical. A sensor or something is not allowing the car to engage through some kind of failsafe. I ended up taking mine to a mechanic friend afterhours. He told me my issue would have been a 2-3k diagnosis and fix, and in the end all he did was reach back behind the engine and screw in a nut that was loose. Find someone with a little bit more "listening" experience; I don't regret the 24 pack i bought him and I'd buy him another for helping me figure it out (better than the stealership)
Old 08-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Ollie

Originally Posted by G35cTT
I initially had that issue so swapped out all sensors but then ran into this next problem where it'll bump start and after warmed up it fires right up no problem but after it cools down maybe 4hrs or so later it does not start. The video sounds like the starter spinning not engaging the flywheel but when pulling the starter it tests fine and no damage. Today I'm going to try to clean the connection to the starter see if it makes any diff.
the engine turns ?
If not, hard to imagine, but maybe the crown gear on the flywheel is loose - by getting temperature, it will expand and locked with the flywheel ?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 PM
srsairbags

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

ok . . . this may sound stupid, but can this be ignition related ? Coils,plugs,module etc ? ? ?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 PM
G35cTT

The starter spins but the engine doesn't turn. From what I can feel when the starter was off nothing felt loose. Just crazy when I bump start and warm up it fires up just fine after
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Ollie

the symptoms and the noise would fit, no problems when the engine is hot also - because the crown gear is just shrunk-on.
One would have try to turn the engine via crown gear and screwdriver or something. When you start longer, there must be some abrasion to find.

I just have no idea - how something like that should happend
Keep us up to date
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM
G35cTT

I have no clue but when I get a chance going to use a multi meter to see if there's anything I can find w/ wiring connections.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starter/battery/Alt - pepboys can test your alt for free.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 PM
G35cTT

I did have the starter and batt tested at Autozone and had the starter tested again at Kragen just to see if any other results but they came back same. Their tester doesn't really test under load and I've seen people that had their starter tested good but ended up being a bad starter. The thing is it works find after the car is warmed up. I did try a different used starter also w/ same results starts up when warm and doesn't after cooled. When the guy tested the battery he didn't seem to really know what to do, but it is a brand new Optima red top volts real 12.7 not sure under load. Didn't test the alt but would that affect the charging rather then the starting of the car? Next chance I get I'm going to check all connections that are related to the starter, I did clean the connections on the starter end as they were a little dirty.

Quick Reply: Start problems watch video to hear