Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Redline MT-85 Transmission Fluid Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Caledan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Linuxglobal
I was shocked too, its pretty crazy what a difference nissan MTF makes.

The only thing i can gather from all of this is that redline oils make u want to shift at higher revs. Ie its nice and smooth if you want to shift at like 5000 rpm.

But for daily driving, the nissan MTF feels great at 2-3k shifts, perhaps after a track day the nissan MTF would be all burned out ? Who knows.

Dont get me wrong im not bashing Redline MTF, i just didnt like it for my driving habits, i did notice it was nice and smooth at high rev shifts (i guess thats where redline comes from) but then again my nissan MTF is super smooth at high revs too

I got nissan MTF for like 30$ for 4 quarts so it was dirt cheap too.
I think I agree with you on that Linux. I have tracked my car and I'd say the shifting is smooth on higher rpms yet local driving from 2-3k rpm; not too pleasant.

I was deciding to switch up to AMSOIL for trans fluid but I think I will stick with the Redline mixture.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 AM
Z You Later

I'm running AMSOIL in my tranny and diff and it's pretty good stuff, definitely gets my approval.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Linuxglobal

300kms through the oem stuff, 5th gear crunch is gone in mine

It sometimes feels like its back but so far so good.

I might look for the amsoil stuff if i want to tackle this again, but probably not. My local Canadian tire started carrying royal purple oils, need to look into that for the motor oil change.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM
my friend

I was shocked too, its pretty crazy what a difference nissan MTF makes.

The only thing i can gather from all of this is that redline oils make u want to shift at higher revs. Ie its nice and smooth if you want to shift at like 5000 rpm.

But for daily driving, the nissan MTF feels great at 2-3k shifts, perhaps after a track day the nissan MTF would be all burned out ? Who knows.

Dont get me wrong im not bashing Redline MTF, i just didnt like it for my driving habits, i did notice it was nice and smooth at high rev shifts (i guess thats where redline comes from) but then again my nissan MTF is super smooth at high revs too

I got nissan MTF for like 30$ for 4 quarts so it was dirt cheap too.
did you buy it from a dealership? do they sell diff fluid also?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
06blueZ

added 75W-85 redline,
Is mt85 and 75w 85 the same? I dont think they are the same product..
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
Is mt85 and 75w 85 the same? I dont think they are the same product..
They should be the same thing

My bottles said m85 and then 75w-85
It's the weight rating

As for the other question below. Dealer had both tranny and diff fluids. They don't specify weight tho but he told me it's 75w-85 trans and 75w-90 diff. It says the oil specs on their quantify chart.

I kept the redline 90 weight in the diff but I may switch it out this weekend.

Good luck
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 PM
knkw98

You are saying that the bottles the dealer sells dont say on the bottle 75w-85 or 75w-90?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by knkw98
You are saying that the bottles the dealer sells dont say on the bottle 75w-85 or 75w-90?
I will double check in my garage tomorrow, but im pretty sure they dont say anything about the weight. It says something like "Manual transmission fluid" and then the part number so they know by that what weight it is.

The redline stuff had the weights pastured all over the place.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottles I got from the Nissan dealer here in Canada say Manual Transmission Fluid 75W-85 right on them.

I doubt it is different in the US
Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Seems like the MT85/MT90 doesn't do as well in colder temperatures which is what I'm finding on the Evo forums as well. It works great here in SoCal, on both my cars.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Seems like the MT85/MT90 doesn't do as well in colder temperatures which is what I'm finding on the Evo forums as well. It works great here in SoCal, on both my cars.
My dealer gave me pennzoil for the diff at like $5 a bottle.
The redline was complete dark and looked terrible in the diff. My 30k oem diff oil looked like honey compared to this stuff. I switched back to oem of course.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Rae Carruth

The Royal Purple Max-Gear 75w-90 is full GL-4 and GL-5 compliant.... Expensive, but really good stuff!!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
pbn85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I think the Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, and even OEM are all the same (minus the fact that OEM isn't synthetic). I think people feel a difference that isn't really there. I feel its all psychological. I ran Amsoil and OEM in my last transmission and they both felt the same. My .04 cents.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
tiki

bump for more redline mt-85 experiences (not mix experiences) I bought redline but before I put it in I want some more reassurance that its as good or better than nissan mtf...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
eracer

Funny, I just replaced the transmission fluid out yesterday with redline. Not sure when the last time the previous owner changed out the fluid.

Old fluid was kind of honey/orange color with quite a bit of very fine 'silver sediment' (not sure how to describe it). Pumped in about 3.3 quarts of redline which was red in color and seemed quite a bit less viscous as the oil I drained out.

First impression was the transmission was shifting much easier now. But, as mentioned before, it seems very 'light' now as if it is loose. Not sure if that is good or bad. Before it would feel as if there was some slight resistance to the shifts. Now it feels as if the oil is less viscous. Thus, making the shifts feel a little more 'notchy'.

I've only owned the car for less then two months and have only driven less then 2k miles so I don't have much experience with it prior. I'll have to see how it drives in the next few weeks with the redline.

So far so good.

BTW- Took it on some 'spirited' runs down a country back road and it drove/shifted just fine throughout the RPM range.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 PM
tiki

I'd just like to prolong my slight 5th gear grind the best i can
Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like OEM trans fluid is hard to beat? I see some are having *issues* even with the MT85.
I was thinking of MIXING the MT85 (1 Qt) with 2+Qts of OEM. The MT 85 may offer a bit more protection than OEM (being synthetic), but apparently it's more viscous..causing some *notchyness* at lower RPMS/or cold.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just changed the MT fluid at 54K mi on my 08 HR. I got this car at 37K and I'm pretty sure it had never been changed. I decided to use OEM since NO OTHER fluid has proved to be superior and some have *issues*..so why *fix it if it ain't broke*? I had zero problems up to this point...just thought it was time. Car shifts a little smoother now...drain fluid looked pristine though.
I also changed the DIFF with Mobil Delvac Synthetic 75W90. This is a HIGHLY rated gear oil and is used extensively in the Porsche community. It's NOT the same as the Mobil 1 LS. There are NO LS additives in this fluid. Our VLSD does not require additives.
Here are specs on Delvac..quite impressive:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...0_80W-140.aspx

Last edited by ronn1; 10-30-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

In my case Amsoil > all
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just swapped to Red Line trans & differential.

Car shifts smoother, but I've only driven about 100 miles on it so far. I'm at 33k miles (5 yrs old). Got the car @ 10k miles last summer, so I doubt previous owner swapped the oils then. Being this old, figured I swap both fluids.

Now, it got pretty chilly down in TX, and I can say compared to last winter, my transmission feels much smoother shifting. I used to feel a little bit of notchyness (nothing major) shifting from 1-2, but with Red Line, i barely feel it anymore. Also 3-4 shifts smoother.

The diff oil got swapped out, and I think the car is getting a little better mpg. Not sure if all this is a placebo effect, but my recent drives seemed more pleasant.

Quick Reply: Redline MT-85 Transmission Fluid Review