Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Input needed (Clutch issue)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
chillah7889

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input needed (Clutch issue)

I have an 03 350z at 52k miles right now. Bought it used when it was sitting at about 49.7k. Sadly, a few days ago after driving to work (with some traffic) my clutch got stiff as hell all of a sudden and gears felt blocked. This happened twice that time, once on my way to work and a second time going home. Took the z into the dealership to get it checked out, get a call few hours later with them telling me I should get my clutch and flywheel replaced, apparently dirt or some other crap got in there (don't really remember everything they said, was kinda blown at the situation) and its not allowing the clutch to fully engage correctly. Anyways, instead of paying 2500 to get clutch and flywheel replaced with them, I'm going to just save up a little, get a jwt clutch/flywheel kit and find someone to do the install for cheaper.

Now here's where I need input. Has anyone ever experienced something similar with the clutch going stiff all of a sudden? And also, currently the clutch is still pretty stiff, is there anything I can do to help with the stiffness and engagement issue until I get the new clutch/flywheel in there? I'm fairly new to mt and this is my daily driver, so any help and suggestions would go a long way. And yes I have done search, thats why I decided to post a thread, to get more focused help. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

52,000 miles is early for replacing the clutch, but if you need one than you need one.

An experienced mechanic can usually diagnose clutch-transmission problems with a test drive. Nothing beats years of experience. This type of diagnosis is 50 percent science and 50 percent voodoo.

Nissan recommendations will err on the side of caution. Instead of taking the clutch apart and searching for the culprit, it is often easier (and less expensive) to say Replace flywheel and clutch.

NOTE: When I have a shop replace components for me, I ask them to hold the warn broken parts. Looking at worn broken parts with a brief explanation from the mechanic is a learning experience.